PDA

View Full Version : Posting pictures

Alstep
05-31-2010, 02:07 AM
Would someone be so kind as to walk me through the procedure on how to post pictures here. You gotta make it simple, I'm a computer dinasaur and I don't understand all the termenology. Thanks,
Al

Throckmorton
05-31-2010, 11:42 AM
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=3051

can u make sense of this sticky ? if not, we'll see what we can do to guide ya thru it.

Throckmorton
05-31-2010, 11:44 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/Throckmorton/Raysrange2.jpg

I did this one by opening a free account at Photobucket.com,moving my pic there,copying the IMG code,then pasting that code here.

HeavyMetal
05-31-2010, 11:49 AM
very interested in following this thread, suffer from mild case of "brontosuaruswhattheheckus" when it comes to understand some computer geek stuff.

Bloodman14
05-31-2010, 01:15 PM
We used to be able to post directly; what happened?

45nut
05-31-2010, 01:28 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_vb3_attachment s

How do I attach a file to a post?

To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.

On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.

To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.

Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.

What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?

In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.

How do I add an image to a post?

If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.

To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing before the URL and after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
05-31-2010, 01:29 PM
Yes, I agree! "IMG Code"???????????????????

How about step by step, one foot ahead of the other, one plus one equals two info.

I have a number of programs on my computer which I cannot operate, all for want of printed instructions.

One is the Fotosizer program which "should" ???????? help me post images, but --------------------------------------------------

This "intuitive" thing that gets tossed about, is bunk for those of us Ol'Coots who did not grow up with pooters.

Can we get it, YES, but which button do I push first, then which button second etc. etc. etc.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
05-31-2010, 01:41 PM
Sorry, but before my post went in there was another post which just adds to the confusion.

I know this sounds to many as being REAL DUMB!!!!!, but --------- "URL" ???????

This is exactly my point!

All these code words, groups of letters etc. etc. ("IMG" -- "URL") mean nothing to someone trying to work our way through this maze.

Whatever happened to things like "Windows for Dummies" etc.

I fully realize how dumb this makes me sound, but the fact is, computer usage is not second nature for me and many others and those designing software etc. need to understand they are losing part of the potential market by not providing access to PRINTED info to help us take the needed baby steps to operate their products.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

454PB
05-31-2010, 01:52 PM
For those that are "computer challenged", you have to start with small steps. Some of the photo handling programs (particularly the ones that are pre-installed on your computer) are overly complicated and very hard to learn/use. Irfanview is a free photo editing program that is fairly simple and intuitive, and I use it, but a slightly better free program is FastStone Image Viewer. Newbies need to manipulate their photos first before posting them on a forum. Trying to post a huge photo file is not going to work.

The next step is to choose a hosting site. Photobucket is a good one, but there are literally dozens of them available. Photobucket also has some good tutorials available here:
http://photobucket.com/faq?catID=49&catSelected=f&topicID=400

Before anyone can write out a step by step method for posting pictures, we need to know exactly what methods you want to use......this forum's storage of attachments, some other web based photo host, and your knowledge of the copy and paste functions.

Three-Fifty-Seven
05-31-2010, 02:32 PM
Let me try:

This how I do it . . .

I opened a Photobucket account (search for Photobucket in whatever search engine you have for the internet. Such as google, yahoo . . .)

Once you have a photobucket account, you can "Upload images" click that button.

It will open up a window that is your computer storage files . . . find where you have the picture (or pictures) you want to upload, double click (click twice quickly with left mouse button) on the picture.

It will now upload to the site.

Click save. (you can name it, and give it tags, but I don't bother!)

If you click on the picture, it will open up in a larger window.

Now put your mouse pointer over the picture, and find the "resize" button near the top.

A drop down menu comes down, select "large (640 X480)" This will shrink the picture to a reasonable size, as most camera's take large format pictures, and then not only do they take up lots of space, but are a pain to view, as one needs to scroll side to side just to see the whole picture!

Now it will be in your account. You can now place you mouse pointer over it, and a drop down menu will scroll down and look like this (the blue truck):
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Mercedes%20Benz/Image1.jpg
Notice that there are four (4) options? You want to click (highlight) the IMG one, then right click (using the right mouse button instead of the regular left button, and select "copy" and it will copy that link.

Now you will paste this into you post on the thread you are in here, by putting the cursor (little blinky line where you will type) and either right click, and then select "paste" or hold down the "ctrl" key on your keyboard, and press the "v" key all the while holding the "ctrl" key down.

Now below the bottom of the window you can "preview post" and your picture will appear!

If your happy with your post, then submit it.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
05-31-2010, 02:47 PM
Thanks!!!!!!!!!! guys!!.

I see the advice to get a Photobucket account or down load, but I have already downloaded Fotosizer - as per recommedations and am still lost as to the "how to" of the operation.

I will print to hard copy the info you have supplied and keep trying:killingpc:killingpc:killingpc:killingpc: ---- really hoping one of these programs and your help will allow me to get'er done.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Three-Fifty-Seven
05-31-2010, 02:53 PM
The Fotosizer program will resize the picture on your computer, which will reduce the size of your storage needs on your home computer. (I don't have that particular program so I can't help you there)

Photobucket is not really a "program" that installs on your computer, but it allows you to store pictures on their website, and if your not able to resize them with the Fotosizer program, you can still upload to Photobucket, the resize feature on photobucket will get the job done for now.

Give it a try!

You will need to have (make up) a "screen name" (account name) and a password.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
05-31-2010, 03:51 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm??

I just went to Photobucket to sign up and it seems there is a charge $$ for use.

Is this correct??????????

don't figure the cost is worth it but??????????

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Three-Fifty-Seven
05-31-2010, 05:55 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm??

I just went to Photobucket to sign up and it seems there is a charge $$ for use.

Is this correct??????????

don't figure the cost is worth it but??????????

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

They only charge for a pro account, here is what it says:

Fees. Members are limited to one free account per person. You may also upgrade to a "PRO" account by paying a membership fee, in which case you are entitled to one free account (in addition to your PRO account). Your Photobucket account is solely for your own personal use and benefit. You are limited to the file size, bandwidth, and storage limitations related to your account level, as described on the account comparison page: Notwithstanding the above, you acknowledge that Photobucket reserves the right to charge for any portion of the Photobucket Services and to change its fees (if any) from time to time in its discretion. If Photobucket terminates your Membership because you have breached the Agreement, you shall not be entitled to the refund of any unused portion of fees or payments (if any).

Found here: http://photobucket.com/terms

I agree, if I had to pay for it, I would not have it! I pay nothing!

Go back and look around, and try again.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
05-31-2010, 06:55 PM
Thanks Shawn!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

AZ-Stew
06-01-2010, 04:49 PM
You don't really need Photobucket. Almost all internet service providers (ISPs) give you a certain amount of space for creating your own web site. But they don't really care what you do with that storage space. You don't have to use it for a web site. You can use it to store your photos, just like you would with Photobucket, but without the charges.

If you contact your internet provider they should provide step-by-step instructions telling you how to upload your photos to that empty space you're paying for with your monthly charges.

Then you need to keep track of the name of the photo file (xxxxxxx.jpg for example) that you stored there. The URL (Universal Resource Locator, I believe, which is the internet address for your file) will be http://your_ISP_name/your_account/xxxxxxx.jpg, or something similar. Your ISP can help you with the details. For instance, if you look at my posts of the photos from the Nevada Cast Boolit Shoot, on page 7 of the posts, my first photo has a URL of: http://www.inficad.com/~gstewart/ncbs_2010/bruce_bs_new_revolver_cartridge.jpg. If you look at the Post Quick Reply box, the second icon from the right is the Insert Image tool. When you click this icon it will give you a place to insert your photo's URL.

You need to size it properly first, but with this method you have almost unlimited storage space. Be sure to reduce not only the screen size, but also the file size (the .JPG compression ratio) so you don't point the viewers to a photo that's 5MB in size. The dial-up internet customers won't like it.

Regards,

Stew

DIRT Farmer
06-01-2010, 07:41 PM
I hate to admit it but it is still like learning chinese without knowing what a word relates to an item.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
06-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Boy, are you ever correct!

But, I think with the help of a bunch of fine folks here we can work it out.

Read some from my Scott Kelby book on Photoshop "Elements #6" last night and part of the answer might be there.

I have images of my way cool RUGER #1-s forearm I want folk to slobber on a bit, so gots ta get it figured out.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

BSkerj
06-04-2010, 12:34 AM
If the images are on your computer already it is pretty easy.
1. On the thread you want to reply on click "go advanced" right below the box you type in.
2. Scroll down and you will see "additional options" box. In that box you will see Attach files, below that "manage attachments", click that box.
3. A window opens up, you will see"upload file from your computer" box. Click "browse box "box right next to it.
4. You should see a list of choices, i.e. documents, music, pictures etc. Click pictures.
5. Select a picture by clicking on it and hit open.
6. Hit upload and watch for prompt saying upload complete. (Give it a couple of seconds to upload)
7.Go back to thread and hit "submit reply"
8. Picture should appear on reply.
Hope this works.

Edubya
06-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Thanks BSerj! That one made it so simple that even I can do it!! I'm gonna copy that post because I know that I'll forget it before I have a real need for it.

Alstep
06-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Lots of good advise here. Now I've got to get up the courage and frame of mind to try it. Thanks.

RayinNH
06-19-2010, 03:47 PM
Another dinosaur here. I just put an ad up this morning in the Vendor/Sponsor section. All was fine on the computer that I composed the ad on,when I looked at it on the laptop there's no pictures. I can figure out getting one picture no problem. The problem arises when putting some text followed by a picture then more text and more pictures in that order. Obviously my linking is wrong. My pictures are on my computer and not at a hosting site. In the mean time I've asked for Ken's help in getting the pictures there but I could still use a tutorial that is not already covered in these posts.Thank...Ray

Alstep
07-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Well, I finally got up the nerve to try this, and after a few hours, success! See my post on selling my powder measure. Now I don't know if it was just dumb luck, but after trying all kinds of methods, I'm not sure I can do it again. We'll see. Thanks for all your help.
Al

steg
07-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Wow now my heads really spinning, gonna give it a try when I have enough time to stay with it............steg

lead Foot
07-03-2010, 04:39 PM
For you blokes that don't know how to copy and paste. An easy way is ~ to copy text ~ you hold left button down on your mouse and drag it along text till it is high lighted ~ then hold and press down together (Ctrl and C) that will copy and then to paste ~ press down together (Ctrl and V) and this should paste. Now when you have your Photobucket up and running find the IMG code and do the above (copy the code only) and paste it on you thread. easy when you now hey. Hope this helps.:coffeecom
Lead foot

sljacob
07-03-2010, 09:22 PM
thanks to BSkerj for the simple instructions it worked first try

hydraulic
07-03-2010, 09:29 PM
One old coot to another: Call your teenage niece and have her read all the posts on this site and then sit down and write out step by step instructions. That's what I did.

Dannix
07-06-2010, 12:02 AM
Did a how-to guide a few days ago here (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=87807).