PDA

View Full Version : Shoots low - wth all loads

Explorer1
05-30-2010, 11:02 PM
I have a 3.5" 45 Colt which just simply shoots low at 7 yds, about 3" low in fact.

Hits about the same with factory loads, 200 gr reloads, 255 gr reloads, several different powders, different loads/velocities............still low.
Has fixed rear sights.

Any options other than cutting the height of the front blade?

Molly
05-31-2010, 01:08 AM
Yeah. Use some JB compound to build up the rear sight. Failing that, see if you can go to hotter loads: Frequently, greater recoil will cause the barrel to rise up a bit more before the bullet gets out, and it will impact higher.

But then again, I've heard the opposite too: Faster bullets get out before the barrel CAN rise up in recoil. This last is not my experience, but you might try loading a few minimum and maximum loads with your best bullet, and just see which hits higher.

Johnch
05-31-2010, 01:17 PM
4 ways of getting closer to POA

#1 File down the front sight ........Not the best , but it works 1 time ( and never unless a new front sight can easly be installed IMO )

#2 Raise the rear sight or make it higher some how

#3 A heavyer boolit at the same velosity will hit higher at close range , like a 300 gr boolit
Because it has more recoil to work on raising the muzzel before the boolit exits the muzzel

#4 Is one I have heard of , but have never tryed
Use smooth wood grips and a smooth leather glove
Grip the grips a little looser than normal and allow the pistol to rotate in your hand
That will allow the recoil to raise the muzzel more
But I have no idea how repeatable it is

John

Springfield
05-31-2010, 01:56 PM
Aim 3" higher. Guns are usually not regulated to shoot at 7 yards, more like 25.

Ben
05-31-2010, 02:52 PM
If he is already shooting 3" low, how will aiming 3" low help ?
Wouldn't he be shooting 6" low then ?

Casting Timmy
05-31-2010, 08:34 PM
I'd keep shooting it for a little while before you do anything. Also try shooting it out a little farther distances and see if the point of impact changes.

I used to have the same problem with one of my guns. Before making changes to it, I just started shooting it a lot and working on my technique with it. Somtimes you get so used to shooting semi-autos that it can mess with your revolver shooting a little.

Bret4207
06-01-2010, 08:48 AM
Aim higher?

MtGun44
06-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Is this a SAA Colt? It would be one of the no-ejector pistols, if so. If it is your personal
gun, shoot it enough to see if you are really certain that it shoots low with the loads you
intend to use and then modify as you see fit. If it is an old gun, be aware that some of
these are worth a BUNCH and modifications often hurt the value.

The heavy boolit solution should work fine, as will a slower load - longer barrel time. I have
a S&W 44 spl that was set up at the factory for 200 gr loads, it shoots my 250 Keith loads
about 8"high at 25 yds.

Be advised that you will need to take about .060" off of the front sight to move the
group 3" up at 7 yds, assuming 5" sight radius.

Bill

buck1
06-05-2010, 10:55 AM
+1 !!

4 ways of getting closer to poa

#1 file down the front sight ........not the best , but it works 1 time ( and never unless a new front sight can easly be installed imo )

#2 raise the rear sight or make it higher some how

#3 a heavyer boolit at the same velosity will hit higher at close range , like a 300 gr boolit
because it has more recoil to work on raising the muzzel before the boolit exits the muzzel

#4 is one i have heard of , but have never tryed
use smooth wood grips and a smooth leather glove
grip the grips a little looser than normal and allow the pistol to rotate in your hand
that will allow the recoil to raise the muzzel more
but i have no idea how repeatable it is

john

felix
06-05-2010, 11:12 AM
That's a challenge, allright! The most fun I had with a SSA was making it shoot right on using load changes only. After six months, and maybe 300 rounds, 5 at a time with the same unique load. Never more than 15 shots per sitting (day) to make sure me, myself, and I were valid as well as the gun with the ammo on trial. In other words, make it a FUN project. Take other guns out to complete a day's worth of shooting, and shoot them last. ... felix

StarMetal
06-05-2010, 12:24 PM
If it's a SSA it's very possible the barrel isn't level viewing from the side (this isn't real obvious to the eye). I had a SSA Colt in 357 that had an uneven barrel gap and barrel that wasn't level "because" the top strap was bowed in towards the cylinder. (let me tell you I got some really bad single actions from Colt) I made a "jack" to jack the top strap back out to where it was supposed to be and the gap was then even and the gun shot better. I think if you really like the revolver (if that is what it is) I'd talk to one of the well known gunsmiths that deal in them and relate your problem. I could also be an uneven crown job, often another thing not too apparent to the naked eye.