PDA

View Full Version : Another batch of Felix lube

ph4570
05-30-2010, 06:46 PM
I set out to make another batch of Felix lube. This one was to be colored red using candle dye, the solid type. All went as usual until I began melting the beeswax -- I was then beset by hundreds of honey bees -- YIKES! I guess my previous batches were not done during bee season.

I summoned a child and armed it with a can of mint insect repellent. He kept the bees at bay while I finished the task. The color came out good. It will be more apparent how well the lube grooves are filled out.

The lube was cast into 1" PVC segments. I tried the PAM trick to see if that would facilitate easier liberation of the solidified sticks. I got a lot of lube leakage where the PVC is stuck into holes of a wooden block. That is a new situation which I attribute to the PAM. The sticks may have come out easier but I have not had a big problem with that in the past. I put them in the freezer for and hour and then they pop out using a wooden dowel. So, no more PAM for me!

All in all it went well and I am looking forward to using the new batch and seeing how the color works out as far as better groove fill out observation goes.

BUT, the bees, the annoying bees!!!!!!

Blammer
05-30-2010, 07:14 PM
I've discovered that if you pull the PVC off of the lube when it is WARM but solid they come out real easy. No 'release agent' needed.

ph4570
05-31-2010, 09:41 AM
I've discovered that if you pull the PVC off of the lube when it is WARM but solid they come out real easy. No 'release agent' needed.

I will give that a try next time.

ghh3rd
06-01-2010, 12:07 AM
My second batch of lube sticks with my 1" pvc molds (not cut in half) worked better than the first. The second time I pushed the lube out while the molds were still somewhat warm and they slid out very easily, no effort at all.