PDA

View Full Version : NEWBIE Casting Equipment list

CIDSarge
05-29-2010, 11:53 PM
Nothing like a newbie to start a **** storm on their first post...BUT I'm a total newbie to casting (but have loaded 40-50K commercially cast bullets through the years) and am compiling my buy list to get into the hobby. Informal target/training loads are my intended usage for the ammo.

First off, I'll be casting for 45ACP only initially. The only two additional calibers likely to ever be added are 9MM and .40 S&W (in that order). For smelting wheel weights, I already have a propane turkey fryer on hand and will find a used cast iron Dutch oven or similar cast iron vessel and will cast into muffin pans.

For casting gear, I'm looking at a Lee Pro 4-20, a Lee 6 cavity mold (with the separate handles, of course) and intend to size using a Lee sizing die mounted on a tool head of my Lee Classic Turret which houses misc. dies. My intention is to pan or tumble lube.

First question...are these good choices for a beginner for the intended application? Second, when it comes to bullet design....tumble lube or non-tumble groove bullet? Lastly, I've seen folks lubing the Lee sizing DIE with Alox rather than the boolits then pan sizing. Is this a wise and valid procedure?

Comments solicited from the peanut gallery.

Bret4207
05-30-2010, 08:20 AM
Heat source, lead alloy, pot, ladle and mould. That's all you need. The best ladle I ever used is made from an old soup ladle, an old steel pot works fine and any heat source that'll get the lead hot enough quick enough will be fine.

Or you can buy the stuff you listed. I am not a fan of BP pots of the Lee brand, in fact I'm not all that sold on BP at all, but lots of other people seem to like them and Lee pots too. I suggest starting with a single or 2 cavity mould. Why give yourself 6 times the problems right off the bat? Were it me I'd choose a non-tumble lube Lee design, read the posts on Leementing and getting moulds REALLY clean and concentrate on making perfect boolits. Once you figure the game out (and see if you even like casting) then move up to the 6 banger. The Lee push through sizers work great IMO. Mule Snot (Lee Liquid Alox) works for many people in many applications with complete success and isn't worth a darn for other applications/people. But, it's cheap and easy and if you use moderate loads it may work well for you. FIT IS KING so don;t expect bug hole groups and a spotless barrel if you don;t take care of fit first.

Goos luck and try and have fun with it.

mooman76
05-30-2010, 10:09 AM
What Bret said. I'd get the biggest pot you can afford like you are planning but other than that, most of the stuff you can improvise with. Pick the bullet design you like. It doesn't have to be TL to use TL. I use TL sometimes and it works fine but I also use regular lube as it suits me.