PDA

View Full Version : Berry Mfg ammo boxes

Charlie Sometimes
05-29-2010, 10:39 PM
I have a couple of their #411 boxes (for 45-70) that I got in a deal for some brass. On one, the lid was cracked, and the other has a lid that is bowed slightly where it doesn't close completely on one corner. The cracked box apparently was the same way before it failed, as you can tell by a little close inspection. Neither looks as if it has every been abused- in fact, they looked fairly new.

Anyway, I sent an e-mail message to Berry's customer service from their website (service at berrysmfg dot com) about the situation. A very helpful lady there, named Angie, told me that there is a LIFE TIME WARRANTY on all of their boxes! She asked me where I got them- and I told her how I came to own them.

Get this- she is going to REPLACE BOTH of them for me! Now THAT is a good warranty, and the way customer service should be run! :mrgreen:

A lot of other companies out there should take a lesson from them on product warranty- Lyman for one. I like Lyman stuff, but they lack in the warranty dept. Much unlike RCBS. :sad:

I own MTM, J&J, and Berry's boxes- looks like Berry's will get more of my business from now on. :D

Tom W.
05-30-2010, 12:14 AM
I bought some for my .480 some time ago, and now use them for my .454. I got the orange ones...I have boxes from Berry's, Midway and MTM. I have a J&J 50 round box, and had a 20 round slip top box that I gave away... Hated the thing..

Lloyd Smale
05-30-2010, 06:49 AM
yup ive had boxes 10 years old replaced by them. They do stand behind what they make. there not as good of a box as a mtm but with a lifetime warantee who cares. Ill but them because there so much cheaper.

Rocky Raab
05-30-2010, 09:39 AM
I toured the plant earlier this year and watched them making those boxes, as well as their brass tumblers - and of course their plated bullets. It's a family-owned and run business with a bunch of quite happy employees as far as I could tell. I even met Angie.

Good folks.

Buckshot
06-01-2010, 01:01 AM
............I don't know how long it's been this way but I just noticed on the last batch of plastic ammo boxes I got from Midway, cast into the bottom it says, "Made in China". That literally simply P****es me off no end. They're telling me that they cannot find a manufacturer here in the U.S. that cannot make them as inexpensively? Even if I had to pay 5¢ or 10¢ more for them I'd do it. I doubt my complaining to Potterfield would change anything, so at that point I simply decided I'd buy MTM.

................Buckshot

Charlie Sometimes
06-01-2010, 09:29 AM
"Made in China" means BIGGER profits for them. I won't be buying those anymore. I'm gonna look at the few that I have and see what they say. I notice that Midway has changed their reloading tray designs several times over the past decade or so. They went from wood to plastic- I guess they see GREEN in a different way, huh? :lol:

Search for info of the Maersk ships, a Danish shipping line, and you'll see how profitable it must be. They are the largest ships of this type in the world- and it's not just coming to our country either. 15,000 CONEX boxes full of everything under the sun coming in daily to a port near you! I'll bet Midway has several on each ship.

ktw
06-01-2010, 11:11 AM
Search for info of the Maersk ships, a Danish shipping line, and you'll see how profitable it must be. They are the largest ships of this type in the world- and it's not just coming to our country either. 15,000 CONEX boxes full of everything under the sun coming in daily to a port near you! I'll bet Midway has several on each ship.

I took a ride on Amtrak a couple of years ago, Chicago to Flagstaff, Arizona. What astounded me, more than anything else about that trip, were the number of container rail cars headed east, presumably out of Los Angeles. Particularly on the Texas/New Mexico/Arizona portion of the trip; every 15 or 20 minutes, 24 hours a day, we passed another train full of containers headed in the opposite direction.

-ktw

MtGun44
06-01-2010, 04:34 PM
EVERYTHING is made in China these days. I tried for a while to only buy stuff made
ANYWHERE else, no luck, finally just gave up. When people in China are completely desperate
for a job that is not on some horrible little farm working in paddy fields 18 hrs a day and
starving to death, then you will have people taking advantage of the ulta low labor rates.

Ultimately, competition in labor is based on three factors: quality, shipping costs and labor
rates. In some cases the quality is so poor that even cheap shipping and labor can't make
it so people will buy. China, like Japan before them, is learning to produce quality. When I
was a boy (59 yo now) "made in Japan" meant the lowest form of junk. Today it typically
means top quality. Another issue is that China has been keeping the yaun linked to the
dollar, so as the dollar drops in value there is NO gain in the balance of trade between the
countries. As the dollar gets cheaper related to some other currency, then items made there
become more expensive here (less attractive) and items made here become less expensive
there (more attractive). China is short circuiting this with their linking the yaun to the dollar
so that they can continue to have ultra low labor rates because the yaun is artificially low.
This may ultimately cost them since they buy raw materials at world rates in yuan. So far
their labor rates have more than covered their additional raw material costs.

I have broken several cartridge boxes, will see if they are Berry (I have many of them) and
see if I can get them replaced. I think I will stop buying the Midway boxes - the shatter if you
drop a loaded box on concrete.

Bill

Charlie Sometimes
06-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Good to their word- I got the replacement boxes yesterday! Gratis.

THANK YOU BERRY'S MFG!

I am a customer for life now.

stubshaft
06-09-2010, 06:07 AM
Thanks for the heads up Chrlie. Didn't know that the warranty was lifetime. I have a couple of boxes for my 454 that have cracked in the corners.

Will be giving them a call.

bruce drake
06-09-2010, 10:21 AM
After reading this, I'm switching to Berry's due to the service and the Made in USA label.

Bruce

Mk42gunner
06-09-2010, 06:01 PM
After reading this, I'm switching to Berry's due to the service and the Made in USA label.

Bruce

I believe I will too. I have a couple of Berry's plastic boxes for 357 sized rounds, and I just bought a two from Cabela's that look to be made by them.

Robert

Tom-ADC
06-09-2010, 08:37 PM
I just picked up 5 of the 45ACP boxes going to store my lubed 45-70 boolits in them, nice little boxes for sure.

WallyM3
06-09-2010, 09:09 PM
I'm in need of a lot of boxes. I'd never heard of them before a couple of days ago. I'm on board for this one.

+1 for Berry.

Just1Mor
06-09-2010, 09:14 PM
I cant speak for the ammo boxes but I can say that RCBS has always been one of the best.

I had a 44 mag carbide sizer die that the carbide broke out on and a 308 sizer that i had bent the primer pin on and could not find another one in phoenix. So i called the company intending to have to buy the new replacements from them and they said that if i sent in the 44 mag die they would take care of it for me and when i got everything back there was a brand new primer punch unit complete with extra pins. I am sold for life.

Charlie Sometimes
06-09-2010, 09:58 PM
I just picked up 5 of the 45ACP boxes going to store my lubed 45-70 boolits in them, nice little boxes for sure.
Get the 45 Colt size and you can double stack shorter boolits. I put 45 ACP boolits in them like that. I use the 30 carbine size to hold 30 caliber boolits, too- taht is, when they aren't holding ammo. :grin:

GetBulletsandBrass
08-29-2010, 09:56 PM
Berry's and MTM are some of the only companies in the US that actually make their plastic boxes in the US. They both offer great lifetime warranties on their products.

Changeling
08-30-2010, 03:28 PM
I just received an order about a month ago on 6 Green MTM ammo cases (50 rd) Colt 45, on the bottom it says "Made In the USA" .

ReloaderFred
08-30-2010, 09:25 PM
I've been buying the Berry's boxes for about 10 years now. I order them by the case of 50, which makes them about the same price as cardboard boxes and as noted, they have a lifetime warranty.

Hope this helps.

Fred

steg
09-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Anyone have the URL to Berrys, I tried to Google it and most that came up was fruit related..........steg

starreloader
09-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Here is the website addy for Berry's .... www.berrysmfg.com

You can also call Berry's at 1-800-269-7373

I've been using and selling Berry's plastic boxes for the last 15 years, for the money they are the best..

2wheelDuke
09-01-2010, 04:02 PM
I've dealt with Berry's a few times, I like their plated bullets. I've got some of their boxes as well, some for loaded rounds and the empties that bullets came in that hold my own cast boolits now.

My own good experiences with them keep me coming back as a customer, but the glowing reviews on here help cement that even more.

09-01-2010, 04:08 PM

Bruce

same here.....

Rockydog
09-02-2010, 08:04 AM
I've got a Berry's brass/media separator. I just pour the brass and media in right out of the tumbler. Turn it slowly for about 30 seconds at about a turn a second and I've got a bunch of empty cases. Even works with .223 which before were a pain to get all the media emptied. Had to individually hold them against the side of the running tumbler etc. Didn't know why I'd need one, now I wouldn't own a tumbler without having one. Good product. RD

steg
09-03-2010, 04:06 PM
starreloader, thanks for the info...............................steg