PDA

View Full Version : Rossi 92: An observation...

S.R.Custom
05-29-2010, 07:39 PM
As a regular reader of this forum, I'm noticing a LOT of folks have been experiencing problems with the Rossi 92 lately. So my question is: does anyone have a good one? Or is this a classic case of "You get what you pay for?"

iron mule
05-29-2010, 08:34 PM
SR Custom............ i have worked on many a 92 and seems to me that the biggest problem is that some one tries to make it better and it turns out worse////// they are a simple gun to work on once you learn how ///////// another problem that i have found about them is the ammo that is trying to be fed thru them some will feed just about anything and some can be cantankerous and you need to find the best nose shape and length for that particular gun/// and this does not just apply to the rossi brand
mule

fecmech
05-29-2010, 08:40 PM
I really like my Rossi 92 in .357 except for the 30" twist but I don't think that is a problem for most folks. As long as the velocity is kept up with magnum loads it will give acceptable levergun accuracy(2" groups @50 yds and 4-5" @100 yds). I like to shoot a lot of .38 spl loads and again they are great out to 50 yds but have stabilization problems at 100 due to the lower velocity. The gun is over-sprung which causes it to feel rougher than it really is. If a fellow clips a coil or two off the ejector spring and mainspring along with decreasing the width of the trigger return spring they smooth up really nice. You can also get spring kits for about $20-$25 and replace the aforementioned springs instead.
I have put a couple thousand rounds through mine in the past year with no mechanical problems at all. I think they are one of the better values out there in centerfire leverguns. A friend bought a Marlin 94c about 6 mos before I got the Rossi. Right out of the box it would not feed cartridges and had about a 7 lb. trigger, he had to send it back to Marlin to get it to work so paying an additional $200 is no guarantee. 92's are addictive, buy the gun for about $450, the DVD from Steves guns along with an hour or two of work and you will have a nice sooth levergun for less than a hundred more.
http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=2

Artful
05-29-2010, 10:16 PM
I had a few rough/shape edges internally but once smoothed up I've been happy with mine for the last 20 years.

Old Goat Keeper
05-29-2010, 11:15 PM
Junior who is a member here has a rossi 92 in 357 that is like 30-40 years old and loves it. I have a much newer one in 454 Casull and like it very much even tho I haven't shot it a lot. It's more "slick" than my Marlin 1894 in 41 mag. The Rossi has fed everything I've put in it so far both 45 Colts and 454 Casulls.

Tom

MT Gianni
05-29-2010, 11:22 PM
I have one in 44 mag with the Puma medallion and it shoots well. I am not foolish enough to shoot it without a pad but it groups OK and feeds 44 mag & special cases with the 429421 & the Lee 310 RF.

missionary5155
05-30-2010, 03:37 AM
Greetings
I have two older models in 45 Colt that work with my Lee 265 fn cast in 50-50.
Probably like any rifle there are those Monday Morning assemblies that have a few rough spots. But my guess is we read about ALL the bad ones and seldom about the good ones.

Four Fingers of Death
05-30-2010, 04:01 AM
The rifle in my avitar is just about the cheapest rifle I hav ever owned and just about the best. Never missed a beat (apart from me never checking the screws and it falling apart on one shoot :( ) and feeds anything. I have a 44mag stainless as well, no probs with that, thought I have never used it much.

Great guns, a bit rough around the edges at times, but great.

Bret4207
05-30-2010, 08:44 AM
I have one in 44 mag with the Puma medallion and it shoots well. I am not foolish enough to shoot it without a pad but it groups OK and feeds 44 mag & special cases with the 429421 & the Lee 310 RF.

As usual MT Gianni and I are on the same page. I broke the firing pin in mine and ended up making a new tip like we did on the original Winchesters back in the day. It has a sharp edge here and there (loading gate) and I think the front sight is junk, but it's smooth, light, accurate and handy. I want a 357, actually I want 5 or 6 357's, but I never see any around. I like the 92 action better than the Marlin 94 action for this class of cartridges. No reason why, just do. But I wouldn't turn up my nose at a Marlin.

Ekalb2000
05-30-2010, 09:52 AM
Got a 44mag(16'), and a 357mag(24'). One of them is always at the range with me. Real slick after I deburred them both, and got rid of that gawdawefull safety.
I had a Win 94. Could not get it nowhere near slick as the 92. I like 92 action better for this reason.
Have never had any feeding problems.

timkelley
05-30-2010, 09:57 AM
I have three (one each .357, .44, and .45) and they all work and shoot very well.

Hanzerik
05-30-2010, 11:46 AM
I have two newer LSI Pumas (16" and 20" .44Mag) that have been good to go from the start. The only issue I have had, like someone else stated about folks fiddling, was when I took the darn thing apart and reinstalled the cartridge stop incorrectly.

They both have fed any bullet I have tried, action worked fast or slow, doesn't matter.

RobS
05-30-2010, 05:37 PM
Now that people have spoke up and I no longer feel that if I open up my mouth that my Puma would blow apart or something crazy..........you know the taboo thing. Anyway I did work on mine as soon has I received it. I worked on deburring "slicking up" the entire rifle and then did some work on the springs. I also made a different magazine follower plug from a 375 H&H case as the plastic one just didn't set right in my mind. The 454 casull stainless has been plugging along nicely and will feed any bullet that has a nose .4 nose or less.

Here is a nice website for those who want to "do it right" regarding slicking up/working on the rifle.

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Rossitune.htm

pietro
05-30-2010, 09:07 PM
I've had a .45 and a .357 for about 3 years - and they both operated/fed/shot just fine, out-of-the-box.

They ran smoothly, and the fit/finish was very good (one was an LSI, the other a BrazTech, but both Rossi M92's)

After a few months use, I replaced the plastic/fantastic magazine followers with handmade metal, and also handmade some plugs to replace the lawyer bolt-top safeties.

I D/T the top rails of the .357 for a receiver peep, and the center of the .45's safety plug for a Skinner LoPro peep.
Both were easily zeroed, using the issue front sight blades.

Then, for kicks, I converted the .357's magazine to a button mag this past Winter.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-8/1056072/DSCN0120.JPG

No matter how hard I try, though - the darn things just keep working as usual.

blackpowder man
05-31-2010, 01:10 AM
I have fired 600+ rounds through my 24" octagon .44 mag since I got it in February including 265 grain ranch dogs and 240 lee tl swc. Fed one at a time it shoots .433 round balls from .44 spcl brass into 1 big hole at 30 yards. I love it. The safety doesn't bother me i've always left it on fire and paid it no mind. It has the slow twist but shoots fine with cast at 100 yards.

S.R.Custom
05-31-2010, 05:01 PM
It's good to hear the positive reports...

I've been considering getting one (or more) for a while now, but was getting concerned with all the problems with people have been posting. But it's good to see that generally speaking, the Rossi is a good unit. I had a Miroku Winchester '92 --and I was quite spoiled by it-- but I just can't see having $700+ tied up in a working woods beater.

gon2shoot
05-31-2010, 05:30 PM
I bought a 357 for a cheapie truck gun several years ago, it was rough as a cob but it shot great. After a little tuning and spring adjustment it turned out to be one of the sweetest gun I used to own. After the wife and daughters all had 357s (mine) I went to 45s.
My two 45's (that no one has claimed yet) will drive tacks, and flip the brass up on your hatbrim.

I've had some that needed a little more attention than others, but I've not had a bad one.

Four Fingers of Death
05-31-2010, 08:35 PM
I bought a 357 for a cheapie truck gun several years ago, it was rough as a cob but it shot great. After a little tuning and spring adjustment it turned out to be one of the sweetest gun I used to own. After the wife and daughters all had 357s (mine) I went to 45s.
My two 45's (that no one has claimed yet) will drive tacks, and flip the brass up on your hatbrim.

I've had some that needed a little more attention than others, but I've not had a bad one.

Thats pretty much the story of mine, but mine throws the brass well forward. My wife is set to get it as she is just starting out in Cowboy.

two bit okie
06-01-2010, 01:14 PM
I have a mod 92 in 44 mag, and I have NO problems. And I have made some mods. Shortened the barrel, new stock, large loop lever. NO PROBLEMS.

NickSS
06-01-2010, 02:53 PM
I own two LSI Pumas one is a stainless in 45 colt and the other is a blued 357 mag. The 45 colt had issues with the barrel when I got it as it was defective. I sent it to the warranty repair place and got it back about thee months later with a new barrel (they told me they had to wait for a barrel to come in that was the delay) Since then I have put thousands of rounds through it without a hiccup. To date my 357 just eats ammo without a problem to be noticed.

Phillip
06-01-2010, 08:28 PM
I just bought Rossi 92 in 45 LC back in march. So far its working as expected and shoots fine. I have 200 rounds of 250 grn lead FNRP through mine already.

The only thing I would recommend, it take it apart and clean the grease out of it and look for tight fits between the wood and metal so the stocks don't start to crack form them touching.

Jumbopanda
06-02-2010, 07:23 PM
I just bought Rossi 92 in 45 LC back in march. So far its working as expected and shoots fine. I have 200 rounds of 250 grn lead FNRP through mine already.

The only thing I would recommend, it take it apart and clean the grease out of it and look for tight fits between the wood and metal so the stocks don't start to crack form them touching.

Agreed. The inletting on mine isn't very good, and those .454 rounds cracked it in no time. I'm gonna put some epoxy between the cracks and then glass bed the stock to ensure full contact with the action for a more even distribution of recoil force.

Old Goat Keeper
06-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Two bit Okie where did youget the big lever loop for your Rossi? I'd be interested in one cause mine in 454 Casull bites my fingers a bit! :veryconfu

Tom

I have a mod 92 in 44 mag, and I have NO problems. And I have made some mods. Shortened the barrel, new stock, large loop lever. NO PROBLEMS.

Gee_Wizz01
06-03-2010, 12:09 AM
I also have two; a an old 44 mag Puma with the puma on the receiver and 45 Colt large loop lever with a 16" barrel. Both have been problem free. The 44 Mag has a .431 barrel groove and leaded badly until I sized my boolits to .432. It shoots jacketed and cast equally well and I am getting 1" groups at 50 yds if I do my part. The 45 Colt shoots extremely well with my with 452190 JW Cusey group by boolits and the Lee 452-250 RF boolits. It does best with hot loads using 2400 or H110. I have no regrets about buying either rifle and they are a lot of fun to shoot. I just wish they were available in 32-20 and 25-20.

G

jlchucker
06-03-2010, 09:22 AM
I have no regrets about buying either rifle and they are a lot of fun to shoot. I just wish they were available in 32-20 and 25-20.

G

Now THAT would be interesting! Maybe 38-40 as well.

Dan Cash
06-03-2010, 10:36 AM
My .45 Colt (octagonal rifle) works fine and shoots ok. Rear sight sucks and damn the safety. Both fixed. Gun rides the saddle scabard every time I head for the pasture.

rhead
06-04-2010, 05:29 AM
Mine is one of the older models an I have on data on the newer ones. I have had zero problems with my Rossi. Accurate and dependable. My Winchester gives an occasional feeding problem when I try to stretch the OAL specs too far. I finally got tired of clearing the jams in my marlin and traded it off.

bob208
06-04-2010, 06:39 AM
i bought a used one at an auction 15 years ago in .357 mag. never have had any problems with it . shoots .38 and 357. well. in fact it is in the rack behind the seat of my truck.

Fire_stick
06-04-2010, 07:00 PM
I have a ss 357 20" and a 44 mag blue 20"er. The 357 is finicky about cartridge length in that cartridge, but feeds 38's slicker than goose grease. Since I reload, I worked around the length issue in 357. So far the 44 mag has no issues with any ammo. Both guns are accurate shooters with open sites, if I do my part.

I love'em both, but wish my eye sight was getting better with time instead of worse. Guess I will have to practice and practice, darn.

helice
06-05-2010, 11:56 PM
Brother,
I wish you good luck in finding a Puma. I've had mine for about 10 years and never a hic-up. It is not as smooth as the old converted Winchester or the Japaneze Brownings but I have no intentions of swapping it off. I hope Idaho has a bunch of them for you to choose from. Here in the SanFrancisco Bay they're mighty sparce.

two bit okie
06-06-2010, 12:09 PM
first of all, I would not get another large loop lever. I have read the pros and cons and did it anyway. Waste of money. My recommendation is get another regular lever and have a gun smith just enlarge it a little. The large lever, and I do have fat hands, is just not shaped right for normal use. this analyis is from 3 different lever guns, a marlin, a rossi, and a mod 94.

second, My mod 92 rossi started life with a 20 inch barrel, now is a 16 1/8" trapper with a big loop. It feeds and ejects RP, Norma, winchester, and a wide range of names I never heard of, cases. It feeds, shoots, and ejects the empties from 180 gr jacketed sp, 200 gr jsp, cast 200 gr, 250 gr cast, and 320 gr cast. light to griz stompers, no problems. I will admit that the 320 gr with 21 gr of 296 will let you know when the hammer falls. It is light, handy, and is acceptably accurate. I will give the little rossi a high marks report.

dnepr
06-06-2010, 12:59 PM
I have had a few problems with mine , done a couple of repairs but I still love the little bugger, mine is a 20" .357 I got mine used and it had been shot lots when i got it , and dirty as h**l , since then I have shot it a lot , probably 2000 rounds through it , still a fun little gun and a good shooter , and this fall I am going to see if it can put meat in the freezer ( then it is a real rifle in my books)

Heavy lead
06-06-2010, 08:49 PM
There is a 44mag short rifle that is available local, I've been oogling it for a few months now but nervous to pull the trigger, I'd read somewhere about big bores and shallow rifling, the 30 twist doesn't worry me as much, but a defacto smooth bore because of shallow rifling does, can't push it fast enough to overcome the twist.
Any truth to this to any of you that have them?

Gee_Wizz01
06-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Heavy Lead, I have a 44 Mag 20" Rossi, it's bore runs .431. I don't know about shallow grooves, I can push a RD 432-265 to 1700 fps and get 1" groups at 50yds with no leading. Remington Jacketed factory ammo gives similar performance.

G

cajun shooter
06-08-2010, 08:46 AM
The 92 started being built by Rossi over 25 years ago and they still make them today. The problem has been that they have had many different importers. Each of these importers told Rossi how they wanted the gun built and put their own people in the factory to oversee operations. The buyer of these rifles mistalely think that the importer was the builder and when they got a bad one they bad mouthed the entire line without knowing what was going on. I have owned several different 92's. The Navy imports were very nice, the Puma was the one to own and have a great rifle out the box. You then had LSI and Interarms who stamped their names on these rifles. All of them made by Rossi but to different specs. The last good importer was EMF who stamped the rifle with Hartford and used nice wood , but some of the rifles needed a little tuning. When Taurus bought Rossi out they refused to build any more rifles for EMF and so the Hartfords that are out there are the last of that bunch. EMF went to Italy for rifles and that is why you are seeing the new Italian models out. Taurus is building the Rossi 92 and calling it the BrazTech. If you have a chance to purchase one of the older 92's do so as they are great rifles. If Armi San Marco becomes or is involved in building them in Italy then I would not want one. I say this because of past record of that company building guns. I prefer a good 92 over a Marlin for shooting SASS because they throw the brass straight up and back. The Marlin throws it's brass forward and if you are shooting a 44-40 at .23 a round that can become very expensive.

fecmech
06-18-2010, 09:47 PM
Just bought my second Braztech Rossi today, a 24" octagon .357. Fit and finish appear pretty good including the stock inletting. Bluing is very good on the receiver and lever with a pretty good polishing job. The barrel appears to have been just finish ground with a fine wheel but not really a polish job per Se, more like a mat finish. Feeds .38 spl and .357 mag rn's and swc's just fine with no hang ups. Trigger is decent at 4 lbs. , clean and smooth with no rough feel at all. When I thin down the trigger return spring I think I will get to 2 lbs easily. Rossi now includes a longer stock screw to mount a tang sight with the gun and the tang has a forward hole D&T'd for a sight. I only shot some .38's for group at 50 yds and the gun looks promising. With tax it was $475. out the door so at this point it looks like a good buy. The test will come at 100 yds and if it will stay under 3" it will save me the cost of a new barrel.

WyrTwister
06-19-2010, 03:40 AM
As a regular reader of this forum, I'm noticing a LOT of folks have been experiencing problems with the Rossi 92 lately. So my question is: does anyone have a good one? Or is this a classic case of "You get what you pay for?"

I have one in .45 LC . I really like it . I shoot the Lee ~ 255 grain RNFP .

Only problem is the iron sights . My eyes are not getting better with old age . :-(

But that is not the fault of the rifle .

When a person gets to the point where a scope is mandatory , A Marlin ( which is also a good rifle ) is easy to mount a scope to .

God bless
Wyr

cajun shooter
06-19-2010, 05:15 AM
Back when I started riding motorcycles I noticed that most riders did their own work on the bike . Some people have a knack for using the hands and brain together and some don't. When I was a firearms instructor and armorer for the police dept. one of the last things we told them when they left the range after the two weeks of firearms training is that they were qualified to shoot and clean the issued weapon. We then told them that they were not qualified to work on it or take it apart. It did no good to tell them as we would get guns in pieces in boxes with the story that my uncle took it apart. Part of the problems that you hear about the 92's are people not knowing what to do and to escape the ridicule put all the blame on the gun. If I had the choice of one rifle to take into the woods for day to day survival it would be the 92.