PDA

View Full Version : 1913 Enfield bayonet on a Remington O3A3

OBIII
05-29-2010, 07:23 PM
Hi,
Just another crazy question. I have a Remington O3A3 rifle that I have a crazy thought about. I have a 1913 US bayonet made by Remington, that if I am correct was made for the British .303 Enfield. The bayonet appears to almost fit on the O3A3. but not quite. If the bayonet lugs are ground down and the ring
on a 1913 Enfield bayonet reamed out, would this type of bayonet fit? The lugs appear to be a little wide, and the ring is a trifle small. I don't have this rifle for it's "original" value, but think that this bayonet would look awesome on this rifle. BTW, the M1905 bayonets that fit an O3A3 are a little out of my price range.

Thanks,

OB

m.chalmers
05-29-2010, 09:30 PM
You need a new cross guard that is correct for the 03. Don't grind anything! Or sell me the bayo :)

Multigunner
05-30-2010, 02:09 AM
Hi,
Just another crazy question. I have a Remington O3A3 rifle that I have a crazy thought about. I have a 1913 US bayonet made by Remington, that if I am correct was made for the British .303 Enfield. The bayonet appears to almost fit on the O3A3. but not quite. If the bayonet lugs are ground down and the ring
on a 1913 Enfield bayonet reamed out, would this type of bayonet fit? The lugs appear to be a little wide, and the ring is a trifle small. I don't have this rifle for it's "original" value, but think that this bayonet would look awesome on this rifle. BTW, the M1905 bayonets that fit an O3A3 are a little out of my price range.

Thanks,

OB

If its a P-14 bayonet it may be worth a bit too much in collector value to alter in any way.

PS
It just occured to me that a 1913 marked bayonet of this type might be one intended for the Pattern 1913 .276 trials rifles. If so it should be worth a good deal to collectors.

bob208
05-30-2010, 09:01 AM
you want a bayonet for that o3a3 one for the m1 would be right also it is shorter. gut it would be more corect then then the long 1905.

as others have said don't go grinding on it you may blow more money then you could ever think.

Multigunner
05-30-2010, 04:00 PM
Well I can't vouch for any info found on the net but this is what I've found so far.
The Remington manufacture bayonets marked 1913 may have been made at anytime between 1913 and 1917. These are marked by pattern year rather than date of manufacture.
It is a bayonet designed for the P-13 .276 Trials rifles, but later used on both P-14 and M1917 rifles.
The bayonets made during and after 1917 can bear either a 1917 marking or rarely a 1918 marking, the last is believed to be an error when some were marked by year of manufacture rather than pattern number.
Using the pattern number made identifying the bayonets intended use easier to keep track of than any date marking would have.

Just at a guess I would say the 1913 bayonet is more desirable as a collectors item than most others.

OBIII
05-30-2010, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the input. I would not purposefully "alter" a historical piece, I was just inquiring as to the possibility. Possibly I could find someone to trade one for an O3A3 for my Enfield. Who knows, I haven't asked yet.

Bob208: I appreciate the thought, but given the size of the O3A3 I think that a 16" sticker on it would look totally awesome.

Multigunner: I have done some searching on the internet for my bayonet, but most pictures have "additional" markings that mine do not have. On one side, I have the British stamp (looks like a bird) followed by USA, the U looking like a Japanese character. The other side is stamped "1913", followed below by 7 17, followed by a stamp that appears to say "Remington", although I can only make out the first few characters (some wear).

Thanks again for all those who read my post and offered your invaluable input.
OB

Bret4207
05-30-2010, 07:29 PM
No need for any grinding. They make duct tape in Olive drab now. It'll look snazzy!

Glad I could help.

Buckshot
05-31-2010, 03:43 AM
No need for any grinding. They make duct tape in Olive drab now. It'll look snazzy!

Glad I could help.

................Whadda ya think about a couple nice stainless steel hose clamps, Bret ? :-)

OBIII, they are making repro M1905 bayos and sheaths these days. The first batch from India were poorly enough made that at 20' distance they looked pretty bad. I don't know if they'd gotten their act together of if they're made someplace else now but I saw a couple recent ones and they look really good. So if you need one they're out there and less then $100.

...............Buckshotr

Bret4207
05-31-2010, 07:59 AM
................Whadda ya think about a couple nice stainless steel hose clamps, Bret ? :-)

...............Buckshotr

Mmmmm, maybe stainless safety wire? It would give sort of a chromed look!:bigsmyl2:

dominicfortune00
05-31-2010, 11:06 PM
On one side, I have the British stamp (looks like a bird) OB

The bird head is actually a eagle head and is found on US 1917 rifles also.

NickSS
06-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Your bayonet is probably worth just about what 1905 ones go for these days so find a site that deals in bayonetts and see if you can arrange a deal either a swap or a a sale.

OBIII
09-14-2010, 09:21 AM
Hey All,
Some pictures of the various suggestions and my final solution:
First image: O3A3 with Enfield bayonet
Second image: Attached with duct tape
Third image: Attached with safety wire
Fourth image: What I acquired on E-Bay for under $150.00
Fifth image: Proper attachment of period bayonet to O3-A3

Dutchman
09-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Well I can't vouch for any info found on the net but this is what I've found so far.
The Remington manufacture bayonets marked 1913 may have been made at anytime between 1913 and 1917. These are marked by pattern year rather than date of manufacture.
It is a bayonet designed for the P-13 .276 Trials rifles, but later used on both P-14 and M1917 rifles.
The bayonets made during and after 1917 can bear either a 1917 marking or rarely a 1918 marking, the last is believed to be an error when some were marked by year of manufacture rather than pattern number.
Using the pattern number made identifying the bayonets intended use easier to keep track of than any date marking would have.

Just at a guess I would say the 1913 bayonet is more desirable as a collectors item than most others.

So much for the internet being a viable source of correct information:).

http://images9.fotki.com/v1617/photos/4/28344/7686109/DSCF4601-vi.jpg

Combat Diver
09-15-2010, 02:52 AM
The M1917 bayonet is also the correct bayonet for Winchester 1897, M12 and M1200 shotguns with the heat shield/bayonet lug.

azcruiser
09-15-2010, 04:43 AM
I may be BS ing --- But the young soldier asked the old man in a faraway land why he had the bayonet on the end of his rifle and was told the bayonet point the way for the bullet everybody knows that ?
When he then asked why the rear sight was raised so high the old man look at him shook his head and said when it sight is raised it gives the bullet more power ?----- Then the young soldier
understood how and why they weren't all killed that day in that faraway land