PDA

View Full Version : Microwave or broiler

Harpman
08-05-2006, 02:09 PM
You gents notice a difference in actual pan lube performance using the two methods to melt bees wax and lube ingedients ?

13Echo
08-05-2006, 03:56 PM
I use a double boiler only. No chance of burning or scorching and ruining the lube. I also find the temper of my lube is firmer when pan lubed than when run through a lubrisizer.

Jerry Liles

JeffinNZ
08-06-2006, 05:50 AM
I agree with Jerry.

We me bullet lube I recommend double boiler only as the top end temperature can not be exceeded whereas microwaves are available in many differing power ranges and there is no telling how much 'cooking' the lube is getting.

powderburnerr
08-06-2006, 02:36 PM
the lube always seems hotter in the microwave . you will see the edges are not melted and the middle is real hot . not very consistant for overall temp in a microwave . if you have to use the lowest setting and run a couple and let set a few . to keep it even......Dean

Harpman
08-06-2006, 03:24 PM
Thanks..., I been micro for like 3-4 minutes, stopping 3 times to stir, all of it does not melt, so I take out, stir till its all melted and mixed, And I have been getting excellent groups so far, just curious about this, wondering if it has a fault that will show up when I get out to longer distance shooting..I am still shooting hundred yards here at the house, getting close to moveing out to distances to 1,000 in few weeks. been using beeswax, lanolin, crisco mix

powderburnerr
08-06-2006, 06:42 PM
the way you are doing it sounds like it will keep it at a more even temp than just nuckin it til its all melted . you wont see any difference in the distance you shoot it but when it fails or breaks down it will most likely cause leading...Dean

44man
08-07-2006, 09:09 AM
I use the microwave to melt my beeswax in a jar so it is easy to measure. I can then spoon it into the double boiler with the rest of the stuff. I melt it slowly and let it sit before turning on the oven a little more. The last lump will melt with the jar on the counter.

Harpman
08-07-2006, 09:52 PM
well, the extra micro wave I been using died..So I went and got a double broiler..this works pretty darn nice, stainless steel, only 20 bucks at target.

Black Prince
08-08-2006, 08:37 AM
If you boys are going to use wool felt wads soaked in whatever lube you are using, (I use home made Emerett's) I have discovered that it works better in the microwave. When I dump my wads in my double boiler of melted lube and stir, the lube hardens on the outside surface of the wad and it does not penetrate into the middle. But if I dump my wads in the melted lube then run that in the microwave for about a minute, it'll melt the lube all the way through the wads and they are completely soaked. When I shoot them done that way, I get nice lube stars on the end of my barrel. If I just do the wads in a double boiler, I don't get lube stars.

Anyway, that is what I have discovered how it works for me. I guess if I kept the wads in the boiler and stired them long enough, maybe the lube would cook all the way through but I haven't been able to get them to do that so far. Just one zap in the microwave solves that problem el quicko.

abunaitoo
08-16-2006, 01:20 AM
I've been using a small table top toster oven. Works great. Got it from Goodwill for $15.00. I find it's less messy and faster than the double boiler.
At Walmart they have small pans that are made to fit toaster ovens.
I keep the temp at 150 and just leave it for about 10 minutes, turn it off and open the door. After about 5 minutes it's hard enough to move to the freezer. After about 2 minutes in the freezer the cake falls out and the bullets can be pushed out with no problem.

WBH
10-17-2006, 11:26 AM
Microwave for me! I throw all the ingredients into 6 oz yogurt cups. 2 1/2 minutes on 3 power works in my microwave. It is 1350 watt unit. It can boil at times. BUT, everyone's ingredients are different, so be careful. Melted lube is HOT.