PDA

View Full Version : Shot Capsules

OeldeWolf
05-29-2010, 03:01 PM
Hello Everyone.

I am interested in loading some shot rounds for my revolvers. They are in 38 spl, 38 S&W, and 44 spl. Anybody know where I can order the capsules, and any other components I will need?

And exactly what is the procedure for loading them? My books have lots on cast and jacketed, but merely mention that shot loads can be made/bought.

Thanks.

Changeling
05-29-2010, 03:07 PM
I'm fairly sure "Speer" make shot capsules, just do a search, should come up positive.

I've never loaded them, always found that CCI 22 LR shot capsule did whatever I would expect of them.

Hope this helps you.

Ole
05-29-2010, 03:10 PM
From my old Speer#10 book:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/Ole1830/th_IMG_5328.jpg (http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/Ole1830/?action=view&current=IMG_5328.jpg)

In my experience, the speer shot capsules work best if you use the smallest shot you can get your hands on. I use #9.

lylejb
05-29-2010, 03:38 PM
I know speer makes them in 38 and 44, and maybe others. I loaded some in 44, and was kind of disappointed.

First, the pattern spreads about 1 inch per FOOT of range, as in 20" pattern at 20 ft. As there's not much shot in a capsule to begin with, that leaves alot of holes in the pattern at anything but the closest distance.

Second, the harder you push them ( higher velocity) the faster they seem to spread, which makes the above even worse.

speer #11 loading manual gives limited data for 38sp /357, 44sp, and 44mag. All loads listed are around 1000 fps, give or take.

To load, the blue empty capsule is scooped in a bowl of lead shot to fill it, than the white plastic base plug is inserted to close the capsule. Be watchful to not overfill the capsule, or the plug will not go all the way up to it's shoulder.

the filled capsules are loaded just like bullets, with the white base plug down, and roll crimped.

For 38 special:

unique 5.5 gr
231 5.0gr
bullseye 4.5
700x 4.5
hp38 4.5

for 44 special :

HS5 8.2 gr + mag primer
unique 6.7
231 6.3
hp38 5.8
700x 5.3

the 44 mag loads go up a few 10th's of a grain, but from my experiance that's no help.

These are as listed in Speer loading manual #11. I would consider these as max loads. I don't think the pressures are all that high, just with shot, your pattern will suffer if you try to load higher. Reducing these loads may improve your patterns.

As always, use at your own risk, YMMV.

Changeling
05-29-2010, 04:41 PM
What lylejb said brought back a memory, sorta. A long time ago there was an article on shot cartridges relative to "snakes", I just plain forgot what they were comparing (calibers). However I do remember the CCI 22LR was considered as good as anything else in killing snakes at reasonable distance.

I realize this wasn't your question, but thought I would through it in so you had some basis for comparison.

Good luck.

beagle
05-29-2010, 09:40 PM
I've ordered them from Midsouth before in .38 and .44. They work pretty well at close range and as well as I recall, loading data comes in the box with the capsules or as has been pointed out...the Speer manual lists it.

If you have an old drugstore around, you can also buy empty gelatin capsules from the pharmacist and they work quite well. I don't remember the size I used but they're pretty cheap compared to shot capsules./beagle

S.R.Custom
05-30-2010, 01:05 AM
Here's the link for the .44 capsules. I'm sure they have .38s as well:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=788584

And here's a quote worth remembering:

Not for use in firearms having ported recoil compensators.

Was next to a guy at the indoor range once who fired up a few of these in a power-ported Dan Wesson. I'm glad I had my eye protection on, lol.

And like others have said, the pattern is huge out past bayonet range.

Cactus Farmer
05-30-2010, 01:34 AM
At snake ranges they are deadly though.......if your in snake territory they are a must. Momma carries her 38 loaded with them on all her outside duties. Got 6-7 this year already. Two 4 footers in the last 4 days......yea,they are crawling. Waiting for the first day off to mow and brush hog all the areas close to the homestead. I shoot #12 shot which gives many more pellets. I get it from Ballistic Products. They will Google up right nicely......Use just enough powder to get it to go bang. 3 grns of Unique in a 38 is great from 2" to 6" barrels.

fourarmed
05-30-2010, 10:50 PM
This came up a while back, but present conditions make me curious again. What about loading with crushed walnut hulls for the purpose of reducing the wood bee population? My arm and wrist are about done in from swinging a badminton racket, and my trap has been up for three days without any trapees.

Dale53
05-31-2010, 01:57 AM
Speer shot capsules work VERY well in snake range (max of 15-20 feet or so).

The finer the shot the better the pattern. #12 is definitely the BEST. #9 will work but not nearly so good a pattern. #12 has plenty of penetration on snakes at snake range. #12 will shred a snakes head at snake range.

The come in .38/.357, .44 Special/.44 Magnum, and .45 Colt sizes. The Speer manual has loading data for the above calibers.

Dale53

John F.
05-31-2010, 07:18 PM
This came up a while back, but present conditions make me curious again. What about loading with crushed walnut hulls for the purpose of reducing the wood bee population? My arm and wrist are about done in from swinging a badminton racket, and my trap has been up for three days without any trapees.

Interesting idea! I don't have any experience with walnut hulls, but a friend used to load up his .22 Lever-action with CCI snake-shot, and then go "wing shooting" in his barn, shooting wasps out of the air. He considered it a mild form of "dangerous game hunting." Said it worked like a champ, but the first time you missed one, it was time to run! :lol:

John

Dframe
05-31-2010, 07:30 PM
Back in my youth we went wing shooting for wasps in the barn every once in a while. It could get exciting sometimes. of course we used .22 calibre shot cartridges which were loaded with #12 shot.

redgum
05-31-2010, 10:37 PM
I make my own 357's for snakes.
For those who haven't seen it, here's some good tips here:

http://www.gunblast.com/Snake_Stopper.htm

Combat Diver
06-01-2010, 07:09 AM
I've reloaded both Speer .38/.44 Shotcapsules. Need to try some gas checks to make my own .41 mag shotshells. I do have a .357 that will keep a 6" pattern at 20 feet and that's with my 10" T/C hotshot barrel. It has a choke that stops the spin of the capsule given tight shot groups. As mentioned above I use reloading data from Speer #10 or #11 manual.

Greg
06-02-2010, 12:53 PM
This is the procedure that I have found to be most effective for the shot loads that I use in my Stainless Charter Arms .44 Special Bulldog:

butter dish of # 9 shot – I tried weighing the shot charge, but it was a PITA. dip a shot capsule of #9’s; place gas seal/cap on; adjust number of shot until cap snaps on without rattle.

full length size the brass.

prime, do not bell the case mouth.

charge with Powder; I use a dipper and Unique. the charge is in each box of Speer capsules.

seat the shot capsule on the powder and crimp, my oal is 1.62" I wouldn’t call it compressed but the instructions call it firmly.

the crimp die is as set for my boolit’d 44 Specials

I’ve never put the loads on paper to pattern…But, I manage to kill 3-4 Copperheads each spring at the Range.

and that Bulldog is always in my backpocket when Mushroom hunting or Turkey lookin.

Midway carries # 12, # 10, and #9 shot in 10 lb bags…it’s kinda pricey but so is anti-venom ! http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=814885

if you know any skeet shooters, a few pounds of # 9 shot will last quite awhile

next time that I need shot I might could get some # 12’s

Changeling
06-02-2010, 03:18 PM

Hi. I would think crushed walnut shells would probably work OK, but I would think the range would be cut in half because of the density of lead over the shells, for shooting bees I wouldn't hesitate to give it a go and see, actually sounds like some great fun. But I guarantee when doing this an opportunity will arise for something else, see below! Just get someone to sell you a couple pounds of shot (#9 or 12). Personally i think the # 12 would be best as the pattern would be a LOT denser and range is limited regardless of shot size.

I've sat on my deck and shot an occasional "dove" as well as bumble bees\wasps and hornets that come cruising across my house/deck.
I know a lot of people and the books say 20 feet or so but trust me that is the far end of effectiveness there is just to much spread, but accidents do happen, then again with the increased capacity of CF cartridges maybe it will be OK at those ranges, however i wouldn't bet any money on it. It's one of those things that is hard to explain, you just have to try it.
Everything I've said is with CCI 22lR shot capsules (Not the crimped end ****, it is totally useless).
All of this type of shooting is done with a Ruger Bearcat (My snake gun).

CCI 22LR cartridges (Shot shells), approximately 165 pellets of # 12 size, 1/5th oz)

Really hope this helps as they are deadly on snakes without question and 10 or 15 feet is a long way for a snake/wasp/cat.
I kill about 5 to 10 snake a year and I don't believe any of them were over 6 to 8 feet away!

jhrosier
06-02-2010, 07:02 PM
I would worry that a steady diet of walnut hulls might cause extra wear of the barrel.
I suppose a few wouldn't hurt much.

Jack

rtracy2001
06-02-2010, 09:19 PM
The last box I bought cost me about $7.00 and came with loading information on a little paper inside the box.

These were for a 38 and I found them local as Sportsman's Warehouse

GP100man
06-03-2010, 12:11 AM
Fourarmed , grits & cardboard wads. 2gr. of CLAYS

OeldeWolf

Make ya own for the specials by useing wads ,the S&W is too short so you`re left with the capsules.

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx110/GP100man/102_0038-1.jpg

Rodfac
06-03-2010, 03:31 PM
I've made my own for the last 25 yrs or so, in .38 Spl, .357, and .44 Magnum. The same method should work for .45 Auto Rim as well.

I begin by resizing and seating the primer. For powder I use one of the medium fast ones like Unique or Win 231. Bullseye would work as well, just haven't used it in years. I use the beginning charge weight for the weight of the shot I'm going to load.

I charge the case, then set it on a flat hard surface. I use the anvil portion of my shop vice.

The case sits mouth up, complete with powder charge. Using the plastic lid from a coffee can, I place the lid over the mouth of the case and tap it with a wooden block, allowing the case mouth to cut a perfectly sized wad. Piercing the 'wad' with a pin, I push it down on the powder charge. Repeating the process again, I now have two 'wads' snug on top of the powder. Piercing the wads allows excess air to be expelled as the wad is seated. I use a wooden pencil or dowel to push the wad down on the powder.

I do it this way, and feel safe tapping down on a primed and powdered case because of the flat anvil surface. If you're skittish using this method. You could cut the wads as a separate operation, pushing the wad back out with a nail through the deprimed case primer hole.

Using a suitable scoop, or the re-primed and powdered case itself, I fill the case with shot. I use #12, but #9''s work pretty well too, the patterns aren't as full though. I fill the case up to just below where the crimp would start...in other words, about 1/16th of an inch from the top, or less.

Placing the plastic lid over the top of the filled case again, I tap out another 'wad'; the over shot wad. I crimp this in place with my seating die, then use a drop of crazy glue or Testor's model airplane enamel paint to help keep the over shot 'wad' from weakening. Using different colors of paint, helps me identify loads...I have used melted parafin or candle wax with good results, as well.

I test these on malt beverage cans...penetration of one side is the goal for snakes, and I find that I get suitable patterns...about a foot in diameter out to 8-10' or so. The pattern varies by the gun which fired it. My wife's Chief Special .38, with it's 3" bbl is ideal for carry while fishing and throws a good pattern about that far. It's dispatched several snakes for us.

HTH's Rodfac

dvnv
06-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Rodfac: Why 2 wads at the bottom?

thanks, dvnv

Echo
06-05-2010, 02:39 AM
I recommend snake loads for home defense - graduated response, smaller pattern as perp gets closer, and nothing going through walls irritate others.

imashooter2
06-05-2010, 07:44 AM
I recommend snake loads for home defense - graduated response, smaller pattern as perp gets closer, and nothing going through walls irritate others.

Remarkably bad advice.

What scenario do you envision where you are justified in shooting a human but you don't need to stop their current activity RFN?

wonderwolf
06-05-2010, 01:31 PM

it will go something like this in the court room if those shot loads you intended to use as a deterrent just killed him out right...remember the handgun is lethal no matter how you load it. Even blanks have killed

"So you didn't intend to kill Mr. perp when he was coming at you with the knife, What then was the purpose of the shot loads in your handgun?"

You either choose to use lethal force or you don't there is never middle ground. If they are coming at you threatening your life you use known lethal force....nothing as a deterrent. Not even a warning shot...you drop them where they stand if they are a threat.

On another note, the girlfriend and I are heading out west on a roadtrip in 2 weeks. I need to figure out what revolver to take....or shotgun...or .22.....dang its a hard choice. I'm worried more about snakes than bears but bears are not uncommon in some of the areas we will be staying at.

Changeling
06-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Remarkably bad advice.

What scenario do you envision where you are justified in shooting a human but you don't need to stop their current activity RFN?

I agree totally! I wouldn't mind blowing someone's head clean off if they were trying to break into my house and do bodily injury to me (That situation is fully covered). However I sure wouldn't want to purposely "BLIND" another human being. My opinion

wonderwolf
06-05-2010, 09:11 PM
I agree totally! I wouldn't mind blowing someone's head clean off if they were trying to break into my house and do bodily injury to me (That situation is fully covered). However I sure wouldn't want to purposely "BLIND" another human being. My opinion

Thats what the 120 lumen LED light mounted on my AR is for....very blinding if you have acclimated to the dark. I think you're talking more permanently though :veryconfu