PDA

View Full Version : Taurus millinium pro 145

lylejb
05-29-2010, 03:00 PM
Anyone here shoot a Taurus milinium pro .45? Or the .40 or 9mm version?

I'm considering one for CCW and would like to here about any experiances with one.

I currently own and load for a 1911, and like the .45 round, but I wonder if it might be quite a handfull in that 3.25 inch barrel and plastic frame.

What kind of accuracy do you get from this gun?

I compared this to the Glock compact .45 ( doesn't fit my hand as well), the smith SW40Ve (absolutly horrible trigger) and the Sig ( $800+ isn't going to happen) and so far it looks the best.

What do you think?

S.R.Custom
05-29-2010, 03:26 PM
Had a stainless one in .45. What a horrible ***...

Accuracy could best be described as a pattern at 7 yards, and it shot 12" low at that range. It jammed at least 1 shot in 10. And that little plastic firing pin cover on the back of the slide flew off into the grass --they're notorious for that-- and Taurus never sent a replacement even though I bought and paid for two more from their service department.

All in all, an entirely consistent Taurus experience. ;)

The Glock, while being ergonomically inferior to the Taurus, can at least be relied upon to function correctly. That would be your better choice.

Houndog
05-29-2010, 07:53 PM
I had a Milenum Pro in 9mm and my experience with it was almost as bad as the previous poster, except it fed everything I put in it without a hitch. The rest of his post mirrors my experience to a T.

lylejb
05-31-2010, 12:38 AM
Hmmm. This suprises me. If you google this model, you'll find several reviews that are all good. One even claimed 2" at 25 yds.

My limited experence with Taurus revolvers has been good. Yeah, the finish isn't as good as a colt , smith ect. but i always figured that was what came with the lower price. They always worked fine.

Guess their autos are another story.

2 negatives and no one jumping up to add a positive

:groner:

Freightman
05-31-2010, 12:59 PM
My son had one traded it off for a S$W MP 40, said that his was so inconstant that you would have to ask the bad guy for a break to un-jam the gun.
I carry a M450 revolver for a CCW from Taurus but it is a hand full for smaller hands as 45 Colt is a thumper in a 2" barrel.
Yes I know it only has five rounds but if he or they are not down in five shame on me.

S.R.Custom
05-31-2010, 05:33 PM
Yes I know it only has five rounds but if he or they are not down in five shame on me.

Training and practice and the resulting ability to keep a cool head and shoot accurately is far more reliable (and lighter) than pockets stuffed with spare magazines.

Less is more, buddy.

MT Gianni
06-01-2010, 11:23 AM
I have one in 9mm I bought for a very low price from a dealer new. I ran 350 rds through it of various cast boolit profiles without a failure to feed. At around rd 500 I had a stovepipe which was easily cleared and after a good cleaning it has seen a few hundred more. No issues and good for what it does. I have around 2"-3" accuracy @ 25 yards which is good as a 3" gun is rarely a target model. For the $250 I am in it it works well.

NickSS
06-02-2010, 06:18 AM
I have both the 45 and 9mm Malenium Pro and like them both. I have put a couple hundred rounds through both of them both factory and hand loads without a problem except for some 45 acp SWC that were lubed with LLA. For the first half of the mag about 1 in three rounds would stick in the chamber and an angle. I felt that it was due to the sticky lube on the bullet nose so loaded some up that I dip lubed so that there was no lube on the bullet nose and the problem went away. I liked the 45 so well that I bought the 9mm. I have had some failures to fire on the first firing pin fall but a quick squeeze of the trigger set it off every time. The problem was with reloads and they probably were due to high primers. I pust 300 founds of mill surplus 9mm through it without a problem. As for recoil I really could not tell much difference in recoil compared to a 1911. It might be a bit sharper but nothing that casues me more problems. In fact the recoil is more controllable than that of my Astra Constable in 380. Accuracy is about the same for both pistols they shoot to point of aim at 15 yards and mostly hold the 10 ring of a standard slow fire 25 yard pistol target. The other day I took out my 45 and shoot 50 rounds of my self defense load which is a 200 gr HP at 900 fps at a man silhouette target. I was shooting fast with a two handed hold basically emptying the 10 shot mag as quick as I could. 95% of my shots were in the 10 zone with only a few that drifted left into the 9 area of the chest.

zardoz
06-04-2010, 08:33 PM
I have a PT145 Millenium Pro, and I am very pleased with it. Shot my very first cast boolit from it.

One thing I found, in all the rounds I've shot, is that it is tough to control with super hot loads.

Never a failure to feed or extract with any ammo or combination I've tried. I've found no reason not to trust it for CCW.

One load, I found to be extremely controllable and accurate in that pistol, was the Lee TL451-230-2R boolit, over 5.4 grains Unique. Gives me 635 ft/s average. Lubed with 50/50 JPW/LLA.

I'm still working with 185 grain JHP loads in that, and have not yet found the sweet combination.

DeadEyeSam
06-06-2010, 11:21 AM
i shot over 2000rds thru my taurus and i haven't had any major problems. a few jams but those were my fault. the recoil and the report are a little sharper than most but i carry mine on a daily basis. i use a kydex paddle holster, whoever invented those are a genius. size weight and feel are fantastic. i wouldn't trade mine for anything. hope this helps.

slowlead
06-06-2010, 12:09 PM
I have shot about 1,400 rounds of 230 gr hardball ammo without a failure to feed or fire out of my Pt 145. Lee 230 gr lead bullet reloads using a medium to hot load have also never failed to fire (about 400 so far). I have not had much luck with the lee 200 gr lee lead bullet target(plinking)reloads, which i've tried. My pistol is totally reliable with full power loads so far. I have a Para Ordinance P14 and the pt 145 can use the high capacity magazines of the P14. I use mine as a back up of the P14. It seems reliable so far. (Accuracy)At 25 yards it usually ties my p14 with a target barrel and with rapid 15 yard or closer shooting, beats it. Tom