Any thoughts on removing the front sight protector for a Remington
03A3 rifle? I'm not terribly worried about some minor scratches, but would
like to know the best way to do it. (Can't get a good sight picture with it
on.
Thanks,

OB

DIRT Farmer
05-29-2010, 11:56 PM
I just slid mine off forward for a indoor match 40 years ago and promptly lost it. Wish I had it back.

Le Loup Solitaire
05-30-2010, 01:44 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum. Removal of the front sight cover is not a problem; you can get it off a number of ways---the most popular is to push it off with a piece of wood or push the rifle against a piece of wood and force it off. It will almost always scratch the rifle. Some folks have removed it by inserting a screwdriver into the cover and rotating it so that the edges of the driver spread the cover; it gets the cover wider, but that can easily can get it too loose. A slick grease like the white lithium stuff will minimize the scraping to some extent. Since the front sight covers are pretty cheap to start with...if you feel that you have to have it on to protect the sight, you might consider sacrificing one of the covers by altering it..... by cutting the top of it off so that it will not interfere with sighting. it may not look so good in terms of originality, but you can effectively aim/sight the rifle and not have to worry about pushing it on or off and scratching/scraping the rifle. LLS