PDA

View Full Version : Williams 5D peep sight

BSkerj
05-29-2010, 01:46 PM
Does anyone use the Williams 5D 94/36 peep sight? I recently purchased a LNIB Marlin 95 SS 45/70 with a scope and I am looking at replacing it with the Williams. The rifle has the side mount screws for the sight (made in 1993). Also, will I need to look into buying a new front sight ? Right now it has the hooded front sight. Thanks in advance !

hiram
05-29-2010, 02:04 PM
look into skinner sights

http://www.skinnersights.com/More_Information.htm

Hardcast416taylor
05-29-2010, 02:10 PM
You shouldn`t need to change the front sight at all. My first #4 Enfield had a 5D sight in place of the rear flip sight, used the issue front sight to this day some 35 years later. My brother didn`t need to the front sight on his M94 either when he put a Williams peep on....Robert

pietro
05-29-2010, 02:30 PM
FWIW, I've ALWAYS used the 5D ILO the more expensive micrometer-adjustable FP on my leverguns because I like to just "set-'n-forget" the zero.

I've never HAD to change a Marlin front sight to achieve a good zero when using a side-mounted peep like the 5D, but HAVE, because I wanted a different type front sight - like an Ivory or fiber-optic bead. YMMV, for sure.

I generally only use the aperture for zeroing, then remove it for hunting - as I prefer the speed of the resulting "ghost ring", at a very nominal sacrifice of accuracy.

They mount securely, as long as all base screw & receiver threads are degreased/loctited prior to installation.

BTW - Any top-mounted receiver peep sight, like a Skinner standard (NOT a LoPro), an XS, or a Williams WGRS, WILL require a higher front sight blade, in order to zero the rifle.

pmeisel
05-29-2010, 03:56 PM
I've had a 5D on my Remington 12 pump 22 for years. It's the bee's knees for plinking and hunting squirrels.

izzyjoe
05-29-2010, 07:27 PM
i have the 5d on my 44, 35 and two 30-30's would'nt have anything else. although i think a good scope helps more for dusk or dawn huntin'. but you can't go wong with the 5d, does'nt require a front sight change like other brands. and you can set it and forget it. but that's just my 2 cents.:lovebooli

mack1
05-29-2010, 11:13 PM
I have 5ds on two marlin 94's and two win 94's with no sight changes. +1 for removing the app for hunting where quick shots might be required. I remove the hood for woods hunting, more light on the bead and better field of view the hood givesme tunnle vision even with both eyes open

Newtire
05-30-2010, 12:31 AM
I had to go to a higher front sight on my Marlin 336 in 35 Remington using a Lyman but now on a 94 Winchester with the 5D=no sight change. I like the 5D now that I've tried it. Come to think of it, the Lyman was designed to fit a Winchester and putting it on the Marlin required some metal removal. The other way around (Marlin sight on Winchester) required no metal removal and no raising of the front sight.

missionary5155
05-30-2010, 03:42 AM
Greetings
I also use this model.. why pay all the bucks for the Micro-Target sight and use it on a brush gun. As stated above once the sight is set (mine are generally at 100 yds) there is no need to change anything unless you are load surfing.

jlchucker
05-31-2010, 08:51 AM
I've used the 5D on a couple of 30-30's over the years. I don't recall needing to change the front sight on either one. I ended up going to the Foolproof though. The 5D is good, but windage adjustment can be tricky--it involves loosening the screws that hold the peep in place, and then moving it by hand. No click adjustment here. It's a good sight if you intend to use a particular gun--like a truck gun--where you use only one load in it forever. Just set it up and leave it. If you are going to change loads where you'll be adjusting windage and elevation, though, the Foolproof, with its click adjustments, will save a lot of time and aggravation.

Butler Ford
05-31-2010, 10:33 AM
I ended up using 5FP instead of the 5d because it was the only one available at the time, instant gratification and all, knowing then what I know now, I'd have waited for the 5D, good sights! I don't know if a front sight change was necessary or not, I replaced it with a FireSight and cut out a notch in the hood for the extra light. All of this does not make for pinpoint accuracy but by doggies, I don't have a problem seeing my sights even in low light levels! Getting old kinda' sucks but it sure beats the alternative.

BF

Mk42gunner
06-05-2010, 10:50 PM
In my opinion, the 5D is a great hunting sight, set it and forget it. If you are going to play with different loads, get one of the easily adjustable ones.

Robert

helice
06-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Used the 5D. Like it!
Put Kiowa Jones' peep sight (like a lo-pro) on a Puma. Like it!
Either way I don't think you can go wrong with a peep sight. Ask any old vetern.

Guesser
06-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Got the 5D on several rifles, like it and the price is right. Have 2 new ones still in the package waiting.

BIG BEAR
06-15-2010, 01:00 AM
Its been a while since i have had anything to ask,. Just bought a BRAND NEW model 1894 / 1871-1971 NRA musket for,well it was almost FREE. at 63 the sights ,except for bright sunlight, don,t work for me. was going to ask about PEEP sights and here was the answer. Will ride over to our local "CABALAS" type store and look at the 5D /FP 94:36 sights. Thanks for all the tips. POPS

BIG BEAR
08-17-2010, 05:58 PM
Does anyone use the Williams 5D 94/36 peep sight? I recently purchased a LNIB Marlin 95 SS 45/70 with a scope and I am looking at replacing it with the Williams. The rifle has the side mount screws for the sight (made in 1993). Also, will I need to look into buying a new front sight ? Right now it has the hooded front sight. Thanks in advance !

Purchased a WILLIAMS FP 94-36 and could not be happier. front sight is a little high but can FILE it down if need be. shoots2.5 in. 3 shot groups at 100 yards. :wink: to be one,. Ask one. Try yours out in front of LAM WESTON!!!