PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning out a RCBS lubrisizer

archmaker
05-28-2010, 09:59 PM
Well I decided to get rid of my homemade lube and go to Felix, but wanted to remove the old stuff first.

Tried a few things and here is what worked the best and quickest, just stumbled upon it.

1. Remove all the hardware from the lubrisizer.
2. Place the lubrisizer upright but tilted so that portion where the die goes is lower than the back of the sizer.
3. Use a large propane torch (we use them to kill weeds), slowly heat it up, the lube ran out of the reservoir out the hole where the lube makes it to the die unto the ground and left nothing in the sizer except a light coating.

I was lucky in that my garden fence has chicken wire and the notches fit nicely, this was by far the easy part of getting new lube into the sizer.

RobS
05-28-2010, 10:33 PM
There you go............another way of cleaning out a lubrisizer and many others have worked the same issue, but at different angles. Whatever works go with it.

Doc Highwall
05-28-2010, 10:39 PM
I used a heat gun to remove most of the lube, then placed the sizer in a old pot with boiling water and it cleaned it out like new.

mtgrs737
05-28-2010, 11:06 PM
The boiling water method works well for me. It can also be used to remove lube from lead boolits so that they can be re-lubed with a better or different lube. Just be sure that you don't use one of the wifes cooking pots to do it, life is much better if you stop in a second hand store and buy a used pot for a couple of bucks.

Changeling
05-30-2010, 03:01 PM
I've never cleaned one out yet but here is an idea. Doing what "Archmaker" said and put the Lube sizer in a black plastic carbage bag so it can drain into the bottom of the bag, close and tape shut the bag.

On the real sunny hot days in summer the temperature should go through the roof inside the bag and pretty well drain anything, cheap, worth a try.

RobS
05-30-2010, 03:44 PM
That's not a bad idea......................

Nick10Ring
05-31-2010, 08:07 PM
I placed my Lyman 450 in an old grill and heat it on low. Makes it clean as a whistle.

Nick10Ring