PDA

View Full Version : savage 99C trigger

charger 1
05-28-2010, 11:07 AM
So this ol boy brings me an ol 99C. trigger wont pull. I see a big burr on trigger rear so I pull the pin and take it out,file burr off then go to put back in. Man somebodies monkied with this ol thing but aside from that could someone give me a tutorial with possibly even a diagram as to how to put this in? Just the pretty Gold trigger and its return spring

Bret4207
05-29-2010, 08:34 AM
What exactly is the problem? It's been a while (15 or so years) but they are pretty simple IIRC.

crabo
05-29-2010, 12:14 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=48831

maybe you can find something here

charger 1
05-29-2010, 04:43 PM
What exactly is the problem? It's been a while (15 or so years) but they are pretty simple IIRC.

Safety is stuck. Wont slide by using finger tab only by grabbing it low with gun apart. Once you get safety off trigger wont pull

Bret4207
05-29-2010, 06:33 PM
Okay, so this is a tang safety right, not the trigger guard? IIRC those are run by tempered wire rods? Spring looking things under the top of the recvr that run to....I forget. Maybe it got bent?

charger 1
05-29-2010, 06:37 PM
Okay, so this is a tang safety right, not the trigger guard? IIRC those are run by tempered wire rods? Spring looking things under the top of the recvr that run to....I forget. Maybe it got bent?

I'll take a pic tomorrow.

charger 1
05-30-2010, 02:09 PM
The little sweetheart (NOT)

The backwards L shaped thing is the safety which will only slide if you push at the base. Not if you push anywhere near the top which is where it would be pushed if the thumb tab had not fallen off. And when you do get the safety off it wont fire..

Therefore
Get safety to slide where its supposed to and not a gorilla pushing the bottom

Get safety tab back on and stay on

Get gun to fire when safety off

ANYONE? EVERYONE?
http://usera.ImageCave.com/chargerdive/100_0423.jpg

Bret4207
05-30-2010, 07:21 PM
My mind is saying theres a spring under that thumb piece someplace. Lemme look around.

You do have the thumb piece in the right orientation?

Bret4207
05-30-2010, 07:28 PM
Okay, I can't find my book I thought I had. My memory says theres a spring that lifts that L shaped lever or something like that. Without it working right it seems like I remember them binding. I dunno, it's been a long time.

The safety blocks the trigger, not the sear, right?

Your trigger looks like it's hanging too low.

charger 1
05-30-2010, 08:14 PM
Wonder why the lovely little thing wont dry fire?

Bret4207
05-31-2010, 07:55 AM
It won't fire at all? That's not a complicated trigger. You said someone else had been in ahead of you- any chance they ground off something you need or lost some parts?

That trigger looks like it sets way too low- the rear end of it.

redneckdan
05-31-2010, 02:22 PM
I would go through the schematic and check all the trigger parts for proper shape and to verify they are all there.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=0/sid=315/schematicsdetail/99C_Clip_Type

I agree with bret in that the trigger is way to far forward. I'm looking at mine right now, the little 'hump' on the rear of the trigger piece should not be visible.

charger 1
05-31-2010, 03:58 PM
tuck that trigger up inside and not only will it not fire its frozen. you cant budge trigger, safety, nothing notta thousands of an inch. man i hates being second guy in

Bret4207
06-01-2010, 08:37 AM
My friend, you're screwed. Either someone boogered something up real bad or has the wrong parts in there. I'm betting someone broke the safety decades back, had a "gunsmith" try and fit the replacement and took a file or grinder to something. Sounds like something I would have done 30 years ago when I knew EVERYTHING!

I suggest you do as Dan said and compare parts. Something is bunged up fer sure.

woody1
06-01-2010, 12:24 PM
I'm sure glad I didn't remove the trigger on mine back when I too knew everything. IMO it is a complicated sear set-up or at least one that's difficult to figure out from outside. I do see that you have the safety positioning spring reversed. The bow in it should be towards the front. Appears in the photo to be pointed toward the rear. As far as the safety button is concerned, I believe you must remove the entire slide to put it back on. FWIW, I've got a 10 page treatise on this beast by J.B. Wood. If I can get my scaner to work, I could scan and send. Send me a Pm or e-mail if you want it and I'll give it a go. Regards, Woody

P.S. Personally, I don't see anything missing or terribly boogered,. Prob'ly just out of position. IMO it's a complicated beast, esp. to put back together. The older ones were a dream compared to the newer ones.