PDA

View Full Version : Storing cast bullets

ajc44mag
05-08-2005, 09:23 AM
Hello,gentlemen.
I'm all set up to cast.I'm shooting BPCR,and have mixed lead/tin at 20/1 (to start with),then poured the alloy into cast iron muffin tins for managable chunks of metal.Fortune/weather allows me this chance to think ahead.
How do you store your cast bullets?I'm shooting long range,and need to keep them perfect,so a tin can is out.Mail order cast bullets(the good ones,anyway) came in styrofoam trays,with a cardboard box to cover them.
Any sources?
Thanks
Art Croft

sundog
05-08-2005, 10:17 AM
ajc44mag, I don't do BPCR, but keeping prepped boolits should be the same. My just cast boolits get put up in coffee cans. After I size and lube they go into plastic boolit boxes for storage. I've also used cans and stood them all up in layers with a heavy paper divider between layers. Some have set several years in the plastic boxes and were just fine when I loaded and shot them. Over the years I collected quite a collection of 9mm and 357 boxes as I shoot alot of 30, 32 and 35 cal and they work good for that. Side benefit is they get put up in 50 round lots, marked and stacked. Boolits for 44 and 45 go in 45 boxes, sometimes 2 deep for a hunert in a box. I shy away from paper, cardboard and styrofoam as they all seen to have an affinity for the lube. Removing from the boxes (or cans) at loading time I usually use a pair of tweasers to pull them out. Works for me anyway. sundog

btw, any kind of a box, like cigar boxes, that have a vinyl type coating also work good. You can put enough in a cigar box to make you strain moving it. Seems like the see thru microwaveable food storage containers would be good also, but they too would require boolits to be layered to make use of the depth. Double layer of waxed paper would work for that.

anachronism
05-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Hello,gentlemen.
I'm all set up to cast.I'm shooting BPCR,and have mixed lead/tin at 20/1 (to start with),then poured the alloy into cast iron muffin tins for managable chunks of metal.Fortune/weather allows me this chance to think ahead.
How do you store your cast bullets?I'm shooting long range,and need to keep them perfect,so a tin can is out.Mail order cast bullets(the good ones,anyway) came in styrofoam trays,with a cardboard box to cover them.
Any sources?
Thanks
Art Croft

You can get plain, white ammo boxes with styrofoam trays from Midway. You didn't mention which caliber you need, but the boxes for 45 Colt should be big enough for most cast bullets. You could also use the plastic ones, but they're more expensive. I wouldn't lubricate the bullets until needed.

Bob

fatnhappy
05-08-2005, 12:39 PM
I store mine in 5# ink cans. They're 6" in diameter with interlocking bases and lid so you can stack them pretty high. I especially like them because I don't have any problem getting my chubby mitts in there while loading (unlike coffee cans).

BruceB
05-08-2005, 08:24 PM
Another good way to store cast bullets is via the use of a parts cabinet. I looked at one in our Ace Hardware the other day, and a cabinet with 64 plastic drawers of about 2.5" x 5.5" x 1.5" only cost about $20. That is a LOT of convenient storage for the money. By standing the bullets in rows, upright on their bases, they can be kept secure and unmarred until needed, and this is very efficient use of the space. The cabinet can be hung on a wall if desired, further minimizing use of bench or shelf space.

wills
05-08-2005, 08:38 PM
MTM pistol ammo boxes, hold 100 boolits, are about $3 or thereabouts.

shooter575
05-08-2005, 10:25 PM
I shoot N-SSA comp so I shoot a lot of dead soft .58 minnes.I keep them cigar boxes standing on end. [boolits that is] I have strips of 1" cardboard to act as spacers as needed.I use same cardboard to seprate layers if needed.
I also made up a bunch of wood trays Mine are about 8" square out of .5 x 1.25 stock with a 1/8 " wood planeling bottom. They stack real well.
My other boolets I store in clear plastic 1/2 qt contaners that Dates come in.[I love dates] I can see whats in em.They stack 4 high no problem and they are free.

buck1
05-09-2005, 12:56 AM
I use old jacketed bullet boxes for rifle, and cookie tins with dividers between layers for handgun. This works good for me......Buck

ajc44mag
05-10-2005, 01:13 AM
Thanks for the advice,guys.
Art Croft

BOOM BOOM
05-21-2005, 12:58 AM
HI,
You can also use the emty plastic .22RF & .22Mag. boxes you pick up off the range.

locutus
05-21-2005, 11:46 PM
MTM pistol ammo boxes, hold 100 boolits, are about $3 or thereabouts.

I also use these for soft bullets, and/or bullets lubed with very soft lubes, like 50/50 beeswax-alox.

For hard cast bullets, lubed with Rooster Zambini Red, ot Thompson Blue Angel, I just throw them loose in a 3 lb coffee can. (95 percent of my bullets fall into this category.)