PDA

View Full Version : Another lube test with Lar45's lube

44man
08-04-2006, 01:32 PM
It finally dropped below 99 degrees so I went down to shoot some more. Made a mistake using flourescent stickers though, have to use black. I started with five of my Lube- Gard loads, then Supreme, High temp and finally a lube I have been wanting to try, Young Country patch lube. It is soft and melts real quick on my fingers. What amazed me was it gave the lowest SD, ES and highest velocity. But it gave me verticle dispersion because it is too slippery. Slippery no good!
Targets left to right;
Lube-Gard, SD 5.1, ES 13.2, Av vel 1264.6, group 2-7/8".
Supreme, SD 5.7, ES 13.5, Vel 1269.6, group 2-3/8".
High temp, SD 5.5, ES 12.1, Vel 1271.9, group 4 in 1", 5 in 1-3/4".
Young Country, SD 3, ES 7.3, Vel 1286.8, group 3-5/8"
These were shot with my home made 530 gr boolit, 1 to 20, 71 gr's of Swiss 3F, paper wad, newspaper over primer wad, Fed LP mag primer and Starline brass.
All shots at 200 yd's, stick rest on barrel.
It looks like Lar's High temp lube won this round. The barrel was very hot when I shot them.

44man
08-04-2006, 01:43 PM
I have told all of you about how my friend Pete loads. He never has time and just throws them together, never doing the same thing twice. He is the worst caster in the world. He never even uses the same primer each time. Sometimes he uses the drop tube and other times he just throws from the powder measure. Even his boolits stick out different amounts.
The lube he uses is some 5 or 6 different home made lubes I melted all together and gave him. No way to make more.
Everything he does goes against what each of us does. He uses the Lyman Postell boolit. He gave me 5 to chronograph so I shot them today.
SD 6.9, ES 14.9, Vel 1285.9, group 1".
Shot at 200 yd's, stick under barrel.

StarMetal
08-04-2006, 01:52 PM
44man and others,

exactly what I've been saying in the past. Remember I said I sort of just throw my cast loads together like I'm loading jacketed that is just thrown together. Well here's another guy (now I don't throw mine together quite as bad as he does) but look how they shot. I'm telling you, if you just want to have shooting fun you don't have to get so anal about loading cast bullets. Serious competition and hunting is a different ball game.

This reminds me of a guy that worked at Corning Glass with me. He was a downright dangerous and bad reloader. Well my friend Jack and went to the range with this fellow. He had a Taurus 357 mag revolver and had loaded some 158 gr Win jacketed bulk bullets..sloppy and dangerous. Well all through the shoot Jack criticized the Taurus and Wilson's bad reloading. Jack was a name brand kind of gun, you know like Smith, Colt, Ruger, etc. Well Wilson said here Jack, try a cylinder full. Jack did. shot a ragged 1 inch hole at 25 yards. I said "Hey Jack, what do you have to say about Tauruses now?" Jack said "Well, I'd never believed it, boy it shoots damn good" Then I said "Yeah, even with Wilson's crummy dangerous reloads".

Joe

felix
08-04-2006, 01:53 PM
Well, now, the truth be known, I want Pete to make my rounds. 44man, you can be the proofer before delivery. That is some good work, and the Lord has given you some talent. ... felix

44man
08-04-2006, 02:52 PM
Yeah Felix, I have notions of having him load for me too!
The funny thing is that I borrowed his Postell mould long ago and cast a bunch but never got them to shoot from my Browning. He tosses loads at me and they shoot better then anything I make. I once put 5 of his loads in one ragged hole at 100 yd's. I thought it was a fluke until today. I have seen him put 5 shots on our 500 yd buf that you could cover with your hand. He shoots a Pedersoli Sharps.
One time he put something like 83 or 85 gr's of Swiss 1-1/2 in his 45-70 cases by compressing in stages. Velocity was down but the darn things shot good.
HE GETS DISGUSTING! I'm about ready to load with a hammer and pliers!

44man
08-05-2006, 09:27 AM
I talked to Pete and he had 72 gr's of Swiss FFFG in those loads.

montana_charlie
08-05-2006, 12:55 PM
These were shot with my home made 530 gr boolit, 1 to 20, 71 gr's of Swiss 3F,
44man,
Those who know you better probably know for sure, but I am just assuming that you were shooting a .45-70.
If true, I'm curious about how you came to choose 3F powder. Most of the 'big talkers' recommend 1.5 F in the Swiss brand...and in Goex they like 1F, 2F, and Cartridge.

Most of them declare that 3F is 'too dirty'.
CM

44man
08-05-2006, 05:15 PM
I used 1-1/2 for years until I found most of the top shooters here use 3F. Some as much as 74 gr's in the 45-70. I have not found anymore fouling from it, in fact I think it is less. I shoot Shippensburg and the top shooter in the country shoots here, Brian Chilson, He is amazing. He always is between 30 and 35 for a shoot. I never seen anyone shoot chickens the way he can. He shoots a "light load" of 65 gr's of powder and a 540 gr boolit out of a 45-90 for chickens.
With the added velocity, I think it reaches the transition point closer to the target
Yes, there are guys that shoot light loads that go a million miles in the air and hit good, but I like the boolit to get there fast.
If I had the time and money to practice all the time, I could do better. It can get VERY expensive! Most of the time my gun does not leave the safe between shoots. I have shot some working with lubes lately, but not nearly enough.
I can shoot but can't read conditions like Brian can. Can't hold as still offhand either. I heard Brian will shoot a couple hundred rounds in practice.
I never got the velocity or accuracy with Goex and had to screen all of it. I have not tried the new stuff yet though.