PDA

View Full Version : How Big is Too Big

Hondo Lane
05-27-2010, 06:03 PM
I want to start casting for my 32-40 winchester. I have a Lee mold that drops .323" diameter slugs and it is a round nose design with a gas-check. I know these old guns have bores that can vary alot so I slugged mine and came up with a .317"-.318" diameter slug. What size does a Lee Sizer and Lube kit size too???. Is .323" too big to launch? I intend to use "Red Dot" powder as a start probably at 5-6grns and work up to maybe 7grns+ checking for pressure signs. I thought this bore would mike-out around .320 or so but .317 is a little tight. Any one else have a bore like this. I appreciate any help I can get.

JeffinNZ
05-27-2010, 06:11 PM
Will it chamber? It if does it ain't too big.

Hondo Lane
05-27-2010, 06:23 PM
I haven't loaded any up yet. Still deciding on sizing them. I would like to know if the Lee kits size to exactly .323 or smaller??? Will probably try unsized first to see how much leading and pressure signs if any. As of yet I don't have a sizer die in .32 cal

mooman76
05-27-2010, 07:39 PM
You can have one custom made by Lee any size you want for about $30 or Buckshoot here does them too for a good price and you will get it quicker.

Buckshot
05-28-2010, 02:51 AM
I haven't loaded any up yet. Still deciding on sizing them. I slugged mine and came up with a .317"-.318" diameter slug.

.317" / .318" is darn tight for a 32-40. What firearm is it? Jacketed bullets intended for that cartridge generally run .321". You sure of those measurements?

I would like to know if the Lee kits size to exactly .323 or smaller???

Regardless the number stamped on the die, or the die's maker you can end up with a lead slug through the die that might be a thousandth under, OR over what it's supposed to be. Each manufacturer has their 'Spec' alloy, and with that being used their die should be 'on'.

Will probably try unsized first to see how much leading and pressure signs if any. As of yet I don't have a sizer die in .32 cal

I have a schuetzen rifle in 32-40 that slugs .322" in the groove. Using Winchester brass it will do fine with a slug sized .323". Rather then wasting time cleaning up a leaded barrel, or wasting primer and powder to no good end, do a chamber cast. Have you fired the firearm yet? If so you might check the mouth of a fired cartridge case. Remember it's going to have a bit of springback to it so it will be a bit smaller then what teh chamber will allow.

...............Buckshot

Pirate69
05-28-2010, 06:41 AM
Per Lee, the diameter of the 32-40 expander plug is 0.320". Just checked on that for another purpose.

Bret4207
05-28-2010, 08:13 AM
You can make up a dummy cartridge and see if it chambers. IMO .323 in a .317/18 barrel is on the high end of size differential. 5-6 thou is at max for my comfort level. BUT!, you won't know until you try, if it will even chamber. Figure that out first. Lead alloys can be very, very forgiving in low pressure loads.

Hondo Lane
05-28-2010, 09:27 AM
I have shot jacketed rounds through it with no problem. Because the length of the cartridges have to be able to cycle through the action there is no problem chambering the round. Canelurres are just for show when seating bullets. I am going to load up a few test rounds today and try them when it quites raining. I will also pull a jacketed round and see what they mike at. When I got this rifle there was a grab bag of ammo and brass with it. I pulled all the slugs(crimps weren't holding) and popped the primers and reloaded to my specs.I have since received new brass so testing loads will be with new components. Will let you guys know my results. The old girl shot 2 1/2" group at 75 yds with original sights and 50+ year old eyes so I think its a keeper. Besides...John Wayne's favorite cartridge was the 32-40...

atr
05-28-2010, 12:14 PM
I've gone as hight as 0.004 over groove dia. in several of my rifles,,,, .303 and .308Win,,,,never had a problem but I think even at 0.004 over I was stretching things a bit...also, your round must chamber so if your oversized boolit buldges the neck to much it might not fit into the chamber....

Hondo Lane
05-28-2010, 12:48 PM
I pulled a jacketed round this morning and it miked at .321. I have had no pressure signs on these rounds. They were loaded with 26grns of IMR 3031 at about 1600 fps. This is a middle of the road load for this cartridge with a 170 grn jacketed bullet. I have loaded some cast 175 grainers to test. Two different powders with three different charge weights for each powder. I will try the .323 diameter slugs and moniter pressure signs. I will post my results in a day or two. Too wet to get to the range.

Bret4207
05-29-2010, 08:22 AM
By "seeing if it chambers" I was referring to the possibility the neck would be too fat to allow the action to close, not if it would cycle. I mean no insult, but are you dead certain on your groove specs? Was the barrel spotlessly cleaned of all fouling? Any tight spots felt during slugging? Was the slug well over groove size when you started? A little fouling or not getting the slug expanded enough can give a false reading. I would expect your groove size to run closer to .320.

What is the inside neck diameter of a case fired with a full powered load?

Hondo Lane
05-29-2010, 08:53 AM
Up until now I have only fired jacketed bullets. I miked one yesterday at .321 unfired. I loaded some cast bullet test loads and they all cycle and chamber so there is no problem there.I am waiting for the weather to clear up to try them. My cast loads are around 1200fps or less. The jacketed oned are at about 1600fps.

Hondo Lane
06-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Well I finally got out to the range to try my cast bullets. Although I had about a 30 mph. wind at my back my results were informative. First all shots were taken at 25 yards. This was to make sure I stayed on paper. I used a "LEE" double cavity mold for my casting. The cast size was .323 and are 175grn. with a round nose and a copper gas check installed. They were dropped into water to help harden and then tumble lubed. The first photo shows my groups with "Alliant Red Dot". As you can see the groups were large with bullets keyholing and even missing the paper. I started with the lghtest load and worked up a half a grain at a time. I used 6.7-7.2 and 7.5grns.There was no signs of pressure from these loads but the accuracy was poor to say the least.
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk257/hail-man/100_1634.jpg
My next loadings were with IMR-SR4765 and I also tried three loads with half a grain increments. 8.5-9.0 and 9.5grns. Once again there were no pressure signs but the groups tightened right up and there was no keyholing. According to my manuel the velocity on both these loadings were around 1200 to 1250 fps. This just goes to show new bullet casters what a difference your choice of powder can make. Now I can do a bit of tweaking with the SR 4756 at longer ranges. It looks like this is the powder my 110 year old 94 winchester likes.
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk257/hail-man/100_1636.jpg

madsenshooter
06-04-2010, 02:55 AM
Differences like that just amaze me. Similarly, I was shooting grapefruit size groups not long ago with my Krag using some old Herter's primers I bought due to the primer shortage. I found some Rem 9 1/2M magnum primers at a local gunshop and immediately was shooting itty bitty groups a benchrest shooter would be proud of. Everything but the primers was the same. The magnums might not have been necessary, a good quality regular primer may have done the same. Every load I've tried with the Herters has been dismal at best.

Hondo Lane
06-04-2010, 08:34 AM
Differences like that just amaze me. Similarly, I was shooting grapefruit size groups not long ago with my Krag using some old Herter's primers I bought due to the primer shortage. I found some Rem 9 1/2M magnum primers at a local gunshop and immediately was shooting itty bitty groups a benchrest shooter would be proud of. Everything but the primers was the same. The magnums might not have been necessary, a good quality regular primer may have done the same. Every load I've tried with the Herters has been dismal at best.

I agree,It pays to try different components. I think I'll save the RedDot for my shotgun.