PDA

View Full Version : Tumble, or Vibrate?

PAI-Scott
05-27-2010, 05:21 PM
Fairly new to reloading, and even newer to casting. I've been filling in equipment as needed and am starting to turn my attention to cleaning cases. I'm sure all have an option how’s the best way to clean, I'm interested in feedback from folks that have done both. Which do you like best and why?

1hole
05-27-2010, 06:38 PM
Vibs are faster. Rollers are quieter. Othewise, there's no functional difference.

Le Loup Solitaire
05-27-2010, 11:25 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum. 1 Hole summed it up quick. I have one of each. I bought an RCBS unit and it works fine, but is definitely a bit noisier, I built my own roller type as buying one is costly. I used a section of ceramic sewer pipe as a drum along with an old washing machine motor--it takes some planning and there are various plans around among the forum members; definitely quieter when running. As for media to use, get ready for 1000 recommendations and a lot of controversy as opinions vary. Lots of different things and recipes work well. LLS

Cowboy T
05-27-2010, 11:47 PM
I use a vibratory tumbler with corn cob media. Seems to do a fine job for me.

mike in co
05-27-2010, 11:48 PM
since you are new do some searching as training.

it has been covered multiple times with lots of input.......

you can search on just one forum or all forums....good training.

mike in co

Hogpost
05-31-2010, 10:25 PM
Today, I would not use either. After 40+ years of listening to that @#$%&*!!! tumbling/vibration noise, and diddling with the media, and waiting 'till the next day, and still having to clean out the flash holes, I plumped for an ultrasonic cleaner: 30 bucks at Harbor Freight, big enough for 50 rounds of 45 acp, 30 rounds of 50-90. 10 minutes max, no freakin' noise, and clean flash holes & primer pockets. Heavy blackpowder crud, nasty 1930's Nazi surplus corrosive, Bullseye & Unique, all gone in minutes. IMHO, corncobs belong in silage.

Luper
05-31-2010, 10:53 PM
How does the ultrasonic cleaner work?

mike in co
06-01-2010, 02:10 AM
Today, I would not use either. After 40+ years of listening to that @#$%&*!!! tumbling/vibration noise, and diddling with the media, and waiting 'till the next day, and still having to clean out the flash holes, I plumped for an ultrasonic cleaner: 30 bucks at Harbor Freight, big enough for 50 rounds of 45 acp, 30 rounds of 50-90. 10 minutes max, no freakin' noise, and clean flash holes & primer pockets. Heavy blackpowder crud, nasty 1930's Nazi surplus corrosive, Bullseye & Unique, all gone in minutes. IMHO, corncobs belong in silage.

so lets see in the ultra it takes 3 plus hours if there was no change out time, which there is, and no drying time , which there is...to do 1000,or one could use a quality vib like the large dillon be done in one hour have 2 hours to search for the elusive stuck bit of corn cob in a flash hole...and still be ahead of the ultra.

use the right machine
use the right size corn cob,
add a litltle polish...and move on.

mike in co

BillP
06-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Like already posted, they both clean brass. Vibrators are cheaper if you want to do large quantities. I personally use a drum because its quiet..it sits on my bench and runs with so little noise I hardly know its there. No big deal if I leave it on and go to work either...they are made to run days at a time. Vibrators are too loud for me. However, vibrators are great for cleaning hand tools and stuff like that. If you have some rusty wrenchs, vibrate with corn cob and a little polish and they will come out looking new. Can't do that with a small drum.

mdi
06-01-2010, 10:51 AM
I've been using a tumbler from Harbor Freight since I started reloading again about 4 years ago (there was a Harbor Freight about a mile from my house). My next project is to build a larger tumbler as the HF only holds about 100 44 Mag cases. I use crushed walnut media from PetSmart, Lizzard Litter, with no additives and get a semi-gloss shine to my brass. Tried a vibrator several years ago and remember it as loud and dusty (I know there are things to do to combat noise and dust, but why should I have to?). I like clean shiny brass but not the ultra glossy mirror finish brass.

mike in co
06-01-2010, 11:52 AM
I've been using a tumbler from Harbor Freight since I started reloading again about 4 years ago (there was a Harbor Freight about a mile from my house). My next project is to build a larger tumbler as the HF only holds about 100 44 Mag cases. I use crushed walnut media from PetSmart, Lizzard Litter, with no additives and get a semi-gloss shine to my brass. Tried a vibtator several years ago and remember it as loud and dusty (I know there are things to do to combat noise and dust, but why should I have to?). I like clean shiny brass but not the ultra glossy mirror finish brass.

midway sells a mid sized vib for a reasonable price.
get a 1 hr timer and use it. put the machine on a solid floor else it will tend to resonate thru out the house. i use mine on the basement floor and the garage floor( i have 5 vibs)

nufinish car polish works wonders and is cheap compared to BRASS polish.

ues the right media....fine grond corn cob.

i have never seen fine stuff at a pet store( does not mean it does not exsist).

14/20 is a good size. consider doing a search on line ..local supplier of blasting media.

grainger carries it.

mike in co

BillP
06-01-2010, 02:46 PM
I've been using a tumbler from Harbor Freight since I started reloading again about 4 years ago (there was a Harbor Freight about a mile from my house). My next project is to build a larger tumbler as the HF only holds about 100 44 Mag cases. I use crushed walnut media from PetSmart, Lizzard Litter, with no additives and get a semi-gloss shine to my brass. Tried a vibtator several years ago and remember it as loud and dusty (I know there are things to do to combat noise and dust, but why should I have to?). I like clean shiny brass but not the ultra glossy mirror finish brass.

My old Toms Tumbler has the smallest 1.5 size drum and I put a max of 100 38s in it. I've tumbled 1000s of rounds in the last 20 yrs and only had to replace one belt (from a sewing machine shop for $5) I tumble rocks too and sometimes it runs for days on end. Except for drum size, the Toms Tumbler and Harbor Freight tumbler look very close to the the same product. The Harbor Freight drum is a size 3 and only costs $32 ...and $20 when on sale. They have a 2 drum version for $50. One nice thing about the drums is they seal tight for use with liquids.

1hole
06-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Mentions of "the Harbor Freight" tumbler should identify if it's a roller or vib since they have both. As well as two sizes of ultrasonics.

I have the larger of the HF ultrasoncics but it is far too low power to clean more than a few cases at a time. (I got it to clean small precision parts, not cases.)

Sitting my vib unit on the floor with a couple of gun magazines under it pads and absorbs most of the sound for me. And, how much media and cases are in it and tight/loose I adjust the nuts holding the bowl and lid makes a LOT of difference in how loud it is.

Hogpost
06-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Mike in CO, I see your point. You're in whole different league from me: I don't think I've ever run more than 150 rounds at a time. There are larger ultras, and the bigger $70 one from HB will probably hold a couple hundred, but something that would take 1000 would probably be the size of a Buick V-8! Still, for the little guy on a budget in a small apartment, the ultra has a lot to offer: I can run it in the kitchen for a few minutes, dry the cases on a bed-of-nails or in the toaster oven, and ready-to-go; and my wife cleans her jewelry in it!

Johnch
06-02-2010, 12:11 AM
After hitting gardge sales and junk stores for years
I have 3 Vibrators , 2 Lyman and one of those huge ones from Dillon
All total I have less than $50 in all 3

I put a rubber backed short knap carpet square on the floor and run my vibrators on them
I got several for free from a carpet installer

Also I have a 24 hour timer
I set the vibrators to come on 3 hours before I normaly get home and turn off after 2.5 hrs

So I never here them , the dogs don't seem to care

John

deerslayer
06-02-2010, 01:19 AM
After hitting gardge sales and junk stores for years
I have 3 Vibrators , 2 Lyman and one of those huge ones from Dillon
All total I have less than $50 in all 3

I put a rubber backed short knap carpet square on the floor and run my vibrators on them
I got several for free from a carpet installer

Also I have a 24 hour timer
I set the vibrators to come on 3 hours before I normaly get home and turn off after 2.5 hrs

So I never here them , the dogs don't seem to care

John

Good idea I will try some carpet padding to quiet mine a little!

mdi
06-02-2010, 11:15 AM
I've been using a tumbler from Harbor Freight since I started reloading again about 4 years ago (there was a Harbor Freight about a mile from my house). My next project is to build a larger tumbler as the HF only holds about 100 44 Mag cases. I use crushed walnut media from PetSmart, Lizzard Litter, with no additives and get a semi-gloss shine to my brass. Tried a vibrator several years ago and remember it as loud and dusty (I know there are things to do to combat noise and dust, but why should I have to?). I like clean shiny brass but not the ultra glossy mirror finish brass.

He He, I guess I didn't make myself clear. I use a tumbler, not a vibrator. I don't want a vibrator. I understand the harmonics issue and the floor/bench acting as a "sound board", and don't think I need adapt/modify just to make a product acceptable to me; carpet padding, magazines, etc., but that ain't a big deal, but why should I have to? Did I say I don't like vibrators? I use walnut only, and I don't use any additives because I don't have to/want to, as my brass is clean and good looking with a semi-gloss sheen to it.

My post was to share my experience with the OP, not a plea for help, thank you anyway...:wink:

MT Gianni
06-02-2010, 06:18 PM
I run mine in my shop on a timer. no noise problems.

klcarroll
06-02-2010, 07:30 PM
I went the same route “Johnch” did; ….Picking my tumblers up cheap at garage sales and flea markets. I now have one Lyman and two “No-Name” vibratory tumblers that let me process almost 1000 rounds of .223 in a single session. (The Lyman was actually a little bit “lazy” compared to the other two, …..so I added a little more weight to the eccentric, and now she really gives the brass a scrubbing!)

Personally, the noise doesn’t bother me! ……..But that’s mainly because the case of Tinnitus I “enjoy” prevents me from hearing minor background noises like tumblers!! (Unfortunately, over the past forty years there have been too many occasions when there simply wasn’t the time or opportunity to pop in the earplugs!)

….And having Tinnitus isn’t all bad!! …..It also spares me from having to listen to my Daughter’s music choices!! (LOL)

Kent

deerslayer
06-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Tried the carpet trick and that keeps the noise down to almost nothing. I also tried some corn cob and I am amazed at how well it cleans, shines, and polishes the brass. I have been using some coarse walnut since I started because it was paid for. Never again will I use walnut after trying the corn cob that another member was kind enough to give me. I just finished repolishing my brass and I am amazed at how much cleaner it is.

I like other non believers wondered how a soft corn cob media could out clean a mild abrasive like walnut. But now I am a believer!!

Another benefit I found is the corn cob is alot quieter!!

mike in co
06-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Might want to read this thread to the end... http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15417

note they are using ceramic and wet solutions......
not corn nor walnut...and looks like only straight wall black powder cases....
and they are taking FOUR FRIGGIN HOURS!

so not necessarily a good comparison

AGAIN all the brass i sell gets one hour in corn cob, or corn cob and nu finish car polish, with the one exception of mil brass from out doors..it goes 2 hours....never three, never four. large dillon vibrators. on small midway, one mediun vib, and i use a sidwinder bor bullet coating..not brass cleaning.

some people never learn

mike in co

Kevin Rohrer
06-16-2010, 10:51 PM
I use a Dillon vibrate tumbler. They are more common than tumbler tumblers and probably lower price. As for media, if you goto the gunshows, you can pickup corn cob media cheep. I just bought 8lbs. for $5.

Johnch
06-17-2010, 08:06 PM
I normaly pick up a 50 lb bag of corn cob med from the local feed store , pet bedding ( get the smallest size )

For less than $20

They used to ( probely still do ) sell it for sand blasting for about the same price

John

RegCom7
11-25-2010, 11:55 PM
I find that the walnut media works better and faster than the corncob. I add a little of that brass polish to it, and some little square pieces of paper towels to help absorb some of the fouling. Run the Frankford Arsenal vibrator for 2 hours and they're clean. I put the vibrator on a piece of carpet floor mat, that helps to keep it quieter.

cajun shooter
11-26-2010, 12:59 PM
It all depends on what you are shooting. If nothing but smokeless and small amounts then a small vibratory model. If more large rifle cases then larger tumbler. I don't know if Mike in CO shoots BP or not but ceramic will clean your cases like new inside and out. Most vibratory type does a very pretty job on the outside but not the inside. One other thing, I am 63 and have been shooting since I was 11. I loaded ammo by the thousands of rounds on a Camdex for our Police dept and used a cement mixer for the brass. It was cleaned enough for loading but not for brass life as the insides never looked good. You will also have to keep buying media for the vibratory. Ceramic is expensive but never wears out. I use both methods at different times but prefer the ceramic.The Frankford Arsenal gear is a good line if you will not be over working it. Thumblers Tumblers are the top of line and maybe purchased from Buffalo Arms at the best price for new.

Artful
11-26-2010, 02:04 PM
I use two tumblers - have used the same two for 30 years - for about 10 years they ran 24/7 of that time either with rocks or brass. I have only had to replace belts and oil 'em - I have had friends with vibe's some seem to last at least a couple of years but all seem to die quicker than tumbler and are noisier.

adrians
12-10-2010, 08:47 AM
my lyman 600 turbo does a decent job and is not noisy ,maybe a slight hum.
not a problem :evil:[smilie=1::twisted:

noylj
12-10-2010, 08:38 PM
I was shocked when I saw what a Thumler's Tumbler is running. You could buy a lot of cheap...I mean inexpensive...vibrators for that much money.
Still, prefer the tumbler. It certainly generates less dust.
I always deprime as part of my sorting of range brass, so only deprimed cases go in the tumbler. All I use is 20/40 corn, with no polishing agents or waxes. There is occasionally a sliver of corn (not a grit particle, just a sliver), and it goes away when the decapping pin knocks it out during sizing.
I have also never seen a need to do a de-lube tumble as I use very little and feel that most goes away as part of handling the cases any way and never have noticed any "bolt thrust" issues.
This is an area that sort of cracks me up. It is probably the least important reloading step and yet the one that more people seem to over-think and spend time on.

John Boy
12-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Vibs are faster. Rollers are quieter. Otherwise, there's no functional difference.
1hole, I have never had a vibratory cleaner with ANY dry media clean cases as good as this ... Cleaning With and Without TSP (http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15417&highlight=tsp)
... And these spent cases were shot with black powder!
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/Meadowmucker/Casting/IMGP1026.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/Meadowmucker/Casting/IMGP1024.jpg

a.squibload
12-11-2010, 06:56 PM
PAI: also check threads here on citric acid, cleans and passivates brass
making it less likely to tarnish.
Only takes a few minutes in hot water. Amazing how clean it gets.
Of course there is drying time, use a towel as a hammock and roll brass back & forth.
Hot air helps, I have plenty!

I tumble afterward with a Lortone rock tumbler made by Carborundum (very old),
holds a couple hundred 44 cases.
I use walnut 'cause that's what I saw at the gun show, will try corncob.
Add a few small squares of paper towel, blue shop towels work, will pick up
lots of dirt for disposal, keeps media cleaner.
Have read here that some guys clean/wash their media to make it last longer.

Before I started reading Castboolits I thought cleaning brass meant wiping it with a rag
after seating the boolit!

zuke
12-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Stainless steel media does put quite the shine on brass.

1hole
12-12-2010, 07:50 PM
"1hole, I have never had a vibratory cleaner with ANY dry media clean cases as good as this ... "

John, nice job, those are very pretty, they look new inside and out. But, functionally it's meaningless; you will never see any difference on targets with what a vib. unit will do, and the vib with conventional media will do it much faster, easier and at less cost. Nor will your cases or dies last any longer, nor will your firearm last any longer or be any easier to clean. That's what I meant, the rest is eye candy.

leadman
12-12-2010, 08:50 PM
I bought a HF ultrasonic unit, the large one. Also HF has citric acid powder in a bottle for $5.00 that seems to work very well. Trying Hornady brass case cleaner for their ultrasonic unit also. Seems to be a little slower than the HF powder.
With the arthritis I don't want to clean primer pockets, even with my RCBS machine if I don't have to.
Probably won't clean the cases in the ultrasonic everytime but it sure does do a great job on the primer pockets and inside the cases! I do have 2 Midway vibratory cleaners also.

Skipper488
12-13-2010, 04:32 PM
Here is my vibratory cleaner

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4098/4761163658_83d0408c43.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/74275486@N00/4761163658/)
Brass tumbler and control panel. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/74275486@N00/4761163658/) by skipper_mso488 (http://www.flickr.com/people/74275486@N00/), on Flickr

It's an industrial vibratory feeder unit, the base is solid cast iron and weighs a ton. The little pot on top is just an aluminum cooking pot. The nominal rating for the vibratory unit is 300 Lbs. I am watching garage sales for an old canning pressure cooker with a locking lid to put on top. It's in the reloading room behind my house so I turn it on for a couple hours and come back when it's done.

mdi
12-14-2010, 01:18 PM
In my own experience, vibrators aren't much, if any faster than a tumbler (small H.F and a homemade using crushed walnut). BTW I think the design of "vibrators" is a "self destruct" mechanism; a motor with a weight to off set balance and wobble. In my mind the bearings of the motor won't last long. And I know some guys out there have used a vibrator (wobbler) for many, many years w/o problems. But I do have a Lyman wobbler...

jes my .02:drinks:

cajun shooter
12-14-2010, 02:31 PM
To those of you who posted that the cleaning of the case is the least important stage of reloading. You are way off base with your incorrect answer. To us BP shooters it is a major thing unless we have a unlimited amount of money to purchase cases. The cleaning of the chemicals from inside the cases is very important if you want your cases to last. Some of the BP's made leave a oily residue that needs to be removed from the case and primer pocket. Some of the Subs like Pyrodex produce a chemical that will form rust in one day if not sooner. If you are loading long range loads then the cases need to be consistent and and a cleaning with a tumbler and ceramic will do that job. You do need a small amount of water and a cleaner such as Dawn W/ OXY. A vibrator with corn cob will not clean the residue from these cases.

Skipper488
12-14-2010, 06:13 PM
That vibrating cleaner in my picture doesn't work on the offset weight on a motor principle. It's like a contactor plunger. The motion is magnetically induced straight up and down. the springs impart a slight twisting action to the up and down. I was very lucky to stumble across that.

Trifocals
12-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Some like Chevys, some like Fords, some like Mopars. Different strokes for different folks. I used a homebrew rotary tumbler for years, then switched to a vibratory type (faster). I've used corn cob media, punches from IBM cards and now use crushed walnut hulls. I purchase large bags of the walnut media at the pet supply stores. They call it reptile bedding. They are the cheapest places to purchase it. I do not care to use any fine "abrasive" polishing compound in my walnut media. I just don't like it. Yep, I have to clean a little media out of flash holes at times. I don't consider that a big deal or a disadvantage. I have also tried several liquid case cleaners. I didn't much care for them, either. This is just my 2 bits worth.

1hole
12-14-2010, 08:30 PM
"To us BP shooters it is a major thing..."

Oops. Maybe so, don't do BP cartridge stuff myself. Don't know anyone who does. Never knew anyone who did. So, I'll accept that it's important for you. Now I wonder what percentage of us load BP cartridges? ;)

mdi
12-15-2010, 01:32 PM
Skipper, got any pics of the "motor" assy.?

BTW; a good source of media (cheap too) http://www.drillspot.com/products/499763/econoline_526020g-40_40_lbs_blast_media

Skipper488
12-15-2010, 03:37 PM
I'll have to get some. I took it all apart to clean it up when I first got it and took pictures of everything but of course now I can't find them.

Skipper488
12-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Here's a video of it in operation. I had to bolt a bracket inside the pot to cause a disturbance in the flow otherwise everything went around and around in neat little circles with out much tumbling action. I want to put a larger pot on it then I will add some more offset obstacles to cause even more tumbling action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiKuaeqwBB4

liljohnnie
12-16-2010, 02:43 AM
Very neat contraption Skipper,industrial grade motor/vibrator should last long enough to completely disintegrate that aluminum pot! I saw a video on there where the guy had bolted a funnel in the middle of the pot to help direct the flow of media. It looked like it worked for him.

CHD
12-16-2010, 04:15 PM
I use a vibrating brass cleaner with walnut media. Added Flitz Brass Case Polish to the media and it cut my time to about a fourth of what I used to do. A little spendy at $9 for a bottle but it lasts.

Saint
02-19-2011, 09:13 AM
I picked up a 20 dollar rock tumbler from HF and I use Tuffnut treated walnut media. I throw a load of brass in before bed and when I wake up its nice and shiny. It will actually only takes it about 4 hours though but since the thing is so quiet I just let it run while I sleep.

woodyubet
02-19-2011, 09:35 AM
I'll just stick with the ole treadmill tumbler......It's done a great job for the last year.

John Ross
02-19-2011, 11:32 AM
No one has posted a critical safety issue on tumblers, useful for those who buy grungy (usually military) ammo for cheap:

DO NOT use a vibratory tumbler on loaded ammo. It can (will) fracture the powder grains and drastically raise pressures if left on too long. What's "too long"? Wellllll......

For volume cleaning, the best value is a new cement mixer from HF or a big box store. Some of the smaller ones are perfect for reloaders, and the full size ones are great for pallets of grungy surplus.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-4-quarter-cubic-ft-compact-cement-mixer-91907.html

Unbolt the vanes inside the drum and plug the holes. Toss in a cup of mineral spirits with the media to get the best shine. Make a cover or run outdoors to avoid corncob dust.

They run forever without the weight of a drum full of concrete in them.

warf73
02-20-2011, 02:50 AM
DO NOT use a vibratory tumbler on loaded ammo. It can (will) fracture the powder grains and drastically raise pressures if left on too long. What's "too long"? Wellllll......

Not saying it doesn't couldn't/happen but I've read nothing on any of the powder manufactures web sites about it.

Just me but I think this is another urban legand.

Warf

jcwit
02-20-2011, 03:16 AM

Absolutly disproven. Manufactures themselves tumble newly manufactured cartridges. Folks did a study/test on anothern forum using both vibratory and rotary tumblers, letting cartridges tumble for as long as weeks at a time, then pulling the bullets, never with any powder turning finer.

Just another of those tales that, I heard it on the net, so it must be true.

John Ross
02-20-2011, 05:55 PM
Absolutly disproven. Manufactures themselves tumble newly manufactured cartridges.

Any of them use vibratory tumblers? The only ones I've visited (Super Vel, Hornady, and Olin) use row upon row of cement mixers.

Flash
02-20-2011, 06:42 PM
The particle size doesn't control the burn rate, the composition does. I have loaded compressed charges that crunch when seating the bullet and if the small particle size effected the burn rate, compressed charges would be a no no.

Look at the Pyrodex pellets. They are so large that if these rules were true, you should need a blow torch to ignite it.

jcwit
02-20-2011, 06:42 PM
John start here, lots of info then follow the links in the thread, pretty much disproves the tumbling question.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=509800&highlight=tumbling+loaded+cases

The particle size doesn't control the burn rate, the composition does. I have loaded compressed charges that crunch when seating the bullet and if the small particle size effected the burn rate, compressed charges would be a no no.

True, to a point. We're not discussing black powder here ie; 1F versus 2F verus ect.

John Ross
02-20-2011, 06:54 PM
John start here, lots of info then follow the links in the thread, pretty much disproves the tumbling question.

Have they also disproved the ammo bouncing around in a truck glove box for a year or so as an urban legend? I thought the powder companies agreed that fractured grains were the cause of these KBs.

A guy at Olin warned me against vibratories with loaded ammo, saying that SOME powders were prone to fracture. But he might have gotten it off the internet...

No matter, I'll stop spreading this urban legend, and if I need to tumble loaded ammo, it's a big enough quantity that I'll use my cement mixer.

jcwit
02-20-2011, 07:07 PM
[QUOTE][A guy at Olin warned me against vibratories with loaded ammo, saying that SOME powders were prone to fracture. But he might have gotten it off the internet/QUOTE]

Not known for a fact but more than likely the guy at Olin was talking with a lawyer's advice.

Sorta like the package of peanuts informing one that it contains peanuts on the warning lable.

And remember not to cut that "NY" tag from the mattress.

jcwit
02-20-2011, 07:09 PM
Have they also disproved the ammo bouncing around in a truck glove box for a year or so as an urban legend? I

This was also discussed, search it out, I gave you the start, go for it!

pls1911
02-20-2011, 07:46 PM
OK let's get back to the small HF mixer...
that's not a bad idea... I have three now that I start in the barn and come back in the morning,'one an old RCBS the I'm waiting to detonate (WOW NOISY, and I can't find any reason external the the motor...)

The mixer sounds great for a season's worth of shells, assuming sizes are compatable NOT to nest within one another... any more wisdom and experience here??

how 'bout a vacuum bag and dessicant for non oxidizing storage of polished brass??
It does work, but ... is a PITA ... IMHO.... (better for longer term storage of loaded ammo.)

jcwit
02-20-2011, 08:20 PM
Use a liquid auto polish ie; Nu-Finish, Kit, etc., they deposit a waxy coating that retards tarnish for storage. Or one could add alittle Johnsone paste wax to the media.

Not sure how long you would store, but I've got brass that hasn't tarnished in 5 years. It's stored in shotgun shell boxes.

DCM
02-21-2011, 10:04 AM
If you don't like the noise set a count down timer and walk away from it. Also you can put the tumbler in another room or out in the garage.

How clean do you want the brass to be and how many are you doing??

Least clean corn cob/walnut, next best is ultrasonic, cleanest is stainless media tumbling.

Highest volume of brass at a reasonable cost, large vibratory and a media separator. This is also requires the least amount of your time.

Next highest volume is a LARGE rotary tumbler.

Cheapest way to clean, vibe.

midnight
04-13-2011, 09:01 AM
I just wanted to post a little heads up about vibratory case cleaners. I got Dillons small one about 20 yrs ago and it still works great but I load the 50BMG and can only clean about 20 cases at a time with it. I wanted something really big but was not willing to pay an arm and a leg for one. The SR747 from Smartreloader appears to be the biggest one out there but everywhere I looked the price was around $134. Too much. Yesterday I got the Natchez April/May flier and it's only $99.99. I'm sore'ly tempted but I keep buying Miha's molds so I can remain in the poorhouse.

Bob

starnbar
04-13-2011, 09:22 AM
Over the years i've had a couple of different vibrators and tumblers. The moment came when i realized i needed a big one to polish a couple thousand cases at one time. Went to northern tools and bought a plastic drum cement mixer 129.95. i can polish about 8-9 thousand cases at one time. when the media dries out a little i throw about a half bottle of dillon polish in it and keep on going. if you have some space its the only way to go a couple hours and you don't need to polish for at least a month. i have 5 sons who shoot on a regular basis so we use some brass.

mold maker
04-13-2011, 09:26 AM
I actually get mail addressed to "Bakers Poor House". Even the USPS knows of my habits and the results. We are rich beyond our means.
I also use a HF cement mixer. If ya tumble range lead in it, the melt and flux operation will go much faster. It gives you a better chance to spot live rounds that were tossed onto the berm.
Don't ask why I found this out.

Frank
04-14-2011, 04:46 PM
Ultrasonic Cleaner makes the cases nice and squeaky clean, inside and out. Used with a cast boolit it can give you better boolit retention. Better retention means better ignition and accuracy. It's clean to the user, clean on the dies and no dust. Just pour the dirt right out. Gets the toughest cases as clean as they could get. The downside is if you're looking for cleaning a large quantity, then this is no good for you.

Longwood
04-14-2011, 06:21 PM
[QUOTE][

And remember not to cut that "NY" tag from the mattress.

Why not? Another urban legend that is not true.
Those warning labels are for products that are for sale in the store so people know what they are buying, no one cares if you cut them off after you own it.

jcwit
04-15-2011, 08:24 PM
Why not? Another urban legend that is not true.
Those warning labels are for products that are for sale in the store so people know what they are buying, no one cares if you cut them off after you own it.

Really, you couldn't catch the scarcasm in that statement? Come on, guy!