PDA

View Full Version : Stiring the pot so to speak?

Changeling
05-27-2010, 03:38 PM
In most of the recipes it calls for stiring the pot so to speak, sometimes for extended periods of time.

I have been wondering if one of those little electronic stirers that literally foam up the pot would be beneficial or not.

Would really like to hear some opinions.

94Doug
05-27-2010, 05:48 PM
I stand by eagerly waiting for responses. I have wondered the same thing. A full half of hour is a lot of stirring. I almost bought an extra popcorn popper with the stirring rod just to start my batch of Felix.

Doug

Hip's Ax
05-27-2010, 07:55 PM
I've been looking at the laboratory type hot plate/stirrers for years now. Love the idea, hate the price.

Edubya
05-27-2010, 08:31 PM
It's a good time to read a book. In fact, if you set it up so that you can alternate hands, it's better to cook the oils for an hour.
EW

RP
05-27-2010, 08:57 PM
what if you did not stir instead you got a fish tank bubbler ? heck I dont stir my homemade chilli that long.

DLCTEX
05-27-2010, 11:22 PM
Bubbler = foamy lube. Story says Ivory soap that floats was due to stirrer being left on accidentally.

sqlbullet
05-28-2010, 11:01 AM
I ain't no chemist so I am just guessing here.

I think the stirring is to evenly polymerize the hydro carbons in the oils. This polymerization cross links them, making them 'slimey'.

I would think a bubbler would not do this well. As mentioned, it may bind oxygen into the matrix that did not contribute to the cross links. The goal is to regularly expose the hot oil to the air, without introducing bubbles to the mix.

As mentioned, laboratory hot plates would work great on low speed. Popcorn popper with the stirrer would too. However, you guys must go through a bunch more lube than me. I made a triple batch of felix, and figure it will last at least a year.

archmaker
05-28-2010, 11:02 AM
Something I have been thinking on, MAY have a solution, but have not had the time to implement, maybe someone else has the time.

Simple Electric (battery op, would work) motor
Round gear with a "piston" on it.
Reduction gear to keep the speed down
Attach piston to pot handle and instead of "stirring" slosh it back and forth by making the piston raise the handle up and down. Would not need much movement just some back and forth. May need to put a steel bearing in the mix to help "stir".

Changeling
05-28-2010, 03:51 PM
It was just an idea, I'll make like a donkey and stir slowly, LOL.

ghh3rd
06-01-2010, 12:33 AM
Rather than stir for 1/2 - 1 hr for every batch of Felix lube, I "cooked" up a large quantity of the two oils and store them in their original bottles (labeled accordingly of course).

Now all I to do is measure out the oil mixture, heat it just enough to melt the soap and finish the remaining steps. No more cooking oil for a long long time.

geargnasher
06-01-2010, 01:27 AM
WOW. You folks can really make a mountain out of a molehill :kidding:

Not trying to rub anybody the wrong way here, but like GHH3rd here's what I do and it isn't a big deal: I use a hotplate and a Pyrex saucepan to cook the castor and mineral oils, 50 ounces at a time. That makes four quadruple batches, or nearly eight pounds of Felix lube, and even while stirring for a full hour and watching the thermometer I was able to get in some quality reading and a little tidying of my reloading area. In all the batches I've made, this is only the fourth or fifth time I've cooked oils. I guess I have a longer attention span than most, but no need to go for fancy automated stirrers at my place, although I have considered making an automatic belt, belt-fed cartridge wiping device for post-loading de-lubing!

Seriously, block out the time, cook a big batch of the oils, and either shut it down and continue at another time, or take a few more minutes to measure out the cooked oils that you need, dissolve the stearic acid or grated soap, add beeswax, add carnauba if desired, cool, and add lanolin.

Gear

Changeling
06-01-2010, 03:55 PM
WOW. You folks can really make a mountain out of a molehill :kidding:

Not trying to rub anybody the wrong way here, but like GHH3rd here's what I do and it isn't a big deal: I use a hotplate and a Pyrex saucepan to cook the castor and mineral oils, 50 ounces at a time. That makes four quadruple batches, or nearly eight pounds of Felix lube, and even while stirring for a full hour and watching the thermometer I was able to get in some quality reading and a little tidying of my reloading area. In all the batches I've made, this is only the fourth or fifth time I've cooked oils. I guess I have a longer attention span than most, but no need to go for fancy automated stirrers at my place, although I have considered making an automatic belt, belt-fed cartridge wiping device for post-loading de-lubing!

Seriously, block out the time, cook a big batch of the oils, and either shut it down and continue at another time, or take a few more minutes to measure out the cooked oils that you need, dissolve the stearic acid or grated soap, add beeswax, add carnauba if desired, cool, and add lanolin.

Gear

Easy Gear, go to your "Happy Place" and let "The Force" guide you through these hard times. It's just that everyone wants to be absolutely correct and not ruin a batch of FWFL. All these little things you are teaching us master you forget someone taught you. Making a big batch of the oils is a solid idea, thanks.

Dan Cash
06-01-2010, 04:54 PM
I just get my wife's egg beater and prop it on the edge of the pot. Duct tape helps keep it in one place.

No_1
06-01-2010, 05:04 PM
I just get my wife's egg beater and prop it on the edge of the pot. Duct tape helps keep it in one place.

You are the Red-Green of boolit lube makers my brother. :drinks:

Changeling
06-01-2010, 07:24 PM
I'm familiar with the tool you call an egg beater! It takes us right back to "foaming" the mixture, witch the egg beater does. Better to stop and listen to the experts than speculate. After all this isn't cheap, do it right the first time around, unless of course funds are unlimited!!

By the way, some of those old egg beaters are bringing some hefty prices!!

94Doug
06-01-2010, 10:26 PM
I thought someone was actually marketing an automatic stirring device at one time....for all the lazy cooks out there.

Doug

geargnasher
06-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Easy Gear, go to your "Happy Place" and let "The Force" guide you through these hard times. It's just that everyone wants to be absolutely correct and not ruin a batch of FWFL. All these little things you are teaching us master you forget someone taught you. Making a big batch of the oils is a solid idea, thanks.

I'm certainly no master (I think we can bestow that title safely to Felix, 357Maximum, Buck Emmert, and a couple of others who have certainly earned it!) but I've learned 90% of what I know about cooking lube from experience. The other 10% I never would have figured out on my own, though. I'm trying to save you folks the hassle of dreaming up unnecessary equipment for a simple process, especially when, in many cases, those same folks have never even cooked their first batch. The real challenges with making FWFL aren't stirring the oils for an hour with a spoon and watching a thermometer, they are things like "How do I get Ivory soap to melt in?", "When do I add lanolin without burning it?", "What do I do if it sweats?", "Do I really need carnauba wax?", "How do I make it softer/harder/tackier/hot-weather friendly/cold-weather friendly?", etc. I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do, just trying to help with a few tips. Use the K.I.S.S. Principle (a spoon!) and save the brain-wracking for bigger problems!

Gear