PDA

View Full Version : Alox in a muzzle loader??????????

Fly
05-27-2010, 11:51 AM
Just asking! But has anyone used Alox in a muzzle loader?I was playing around
with my cap & ball revolver & pan lubed the balls & dusted with graphite powder.

The gun shots great & on target.Your thoughts[smilie=s:

Fly

wiljen
05-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Sounds like you done answered your own question to me. I've played with LLA on Maxiballs using triple 7 and had good luck with it.

JeffinNZ
05-27-2010, 06:24 PM
I won't use any petroleum based lubes over REAL black powder as the fouling ends up not unlike coal. Replica BP products are a different kettle of fish however.

Fly
05-27-2010, 07:37 PM
I won't use any petroleum based lubes over REAL black powder as the fouling ends up not unlike coal. Replica BP products are a different kettle of fish however.

Well I heard that all my life but is Alox petroleum based?It does not seem to
be fouling anymore than anything else.I have some TC bore butter on the way
& thats what I may stick with but the Alox seems to work.

I will check the label & see if it is indeed petroleum based.

Fly:drinks:

Nobade
05-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Alox works fine with 777, but hard to clean the tar out if used with BP.

Maven
05-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Fly, Search your favorite ML supplier for .45cal. lubricated felt overpowder wads or just buy the felt* + a 7/16" arch punch and cut them out and lube them with T/C Bore Butter yourself. I've tried them in my Euroarms Rem. NM Army replica and wouldn't even think of using anything else. They're that good.

*Google Duro Felt products if interested.

Fly
05-27-2010, 09:13 PM
Maven I have been using the prelubed patches along with the alox & graphite.I guess
this thing is so slick nothing could stick.

Heck I will try anything & maybe it was the prelubed patches that kept it from gumming
up to bad.
Fly

Lead Fred
05-27-2010, 09:39 PM
If your still letting petroleum oil products in your muzzleloader
You dont have a grasp of muzzleloading.

Yes Alox is petroleum based, thats why it smells like a 59 Chevy truck tranny

357maximum
05-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Not all petros are bad in a frontstuffer despite regurgitated warnings as such. I use microwax/paraffin/petroleum jelly/mineral oil as ingredients in mine quite often.....I have not done alot with the HEAVIER petrochems(axle grease or petro-soaps(alox) though as I found what I need from the those I listed above.

Do a little experiment if you think I am out on the porch smoking crack.

Take a pea sized blob of each of the following beeswax, crisco, tallow,any of the natural wonderlubes and place them on a clean/polished steel plate and burn them with a propane torch until they are gone to ashes...now do the same thing with microwax/paraffin/and vasoline and see what you get. Line em all up and compare and then tell me what you now think from YOUR observations instead of what you think based on regurgitated "FACTS".

stubshaft
05-28-2010, 11:38 PM
I tried alox with T7 and was disappointed with the results. It seemed to give me a hard crusty fouling in my ROA and Renegade. Went back to Emmerts and no problems.

northmn
05-30-2010, 09:59 AM
I used modern lubes in a 45-70 BPC and the "regurgetated facts" are true. It fouled very badly and very hard at the last 10 inches of the barrel. So much so you could not hit a 12 inch square target at 75 yards. Alox does not work with black powder and about the only petro based product that does not seem to hurt is paraffin used to stiffen up some lubes. Also some have used vasoline mixes with fair results, but they are mixes. Alox does not work with real BP.

Northmn

DP

05-30-2010, 07:53 PM
Alox in a ML? Sure.... but why? I remember a friend using the messy, gooey, sticky, smelly Alox stuff to finger lube conicals for his TC Renegade on a particular day at the range back in the early 80s. The more he shot, the worse the groups got, the more he thought it was the best lube in the world! Go figure. With the absolute abundance of as good as, cheaper and maybe better blackpowder lubes out there why in the world is there a need to mess with Alox?? Crisco or Crisco mixed with beeswax comes to mind.... along with about a bazillion other potions.

northmn
05-31-2010, 08:50 AM
I tried a grease out of a grease gun once long ago in a revolver to place over the ball. It did not work very well. As stated, Crisco which is fairly inexpensive has served well for my BP needs as a patch lube and for revolvers. There is no magical lube out there that will leave a barrel clean with BP after shooting. Some of the lube/cleaners work for fair for shooting a patched ball at a range, but not for any lengthy carry. Revolver lubes probably contribute to the mess as you use so much of it. We are so used to modern guns we forget that these guns were not used continuously in the same fashion. Many of the gurellas and cavalrymen in the Civil war that used these revolvers tried to carry more than one as they could not be reloaded very handilly (the old story of carrying an extra loaded cylinder is pretty much of a myth). Expect to clean them a little between cylinders.
The petroleum based oils do protect the bores and parts better than some of the "natural" lubricants for storage.
Northmn

Rangefinder
06-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Just for kicks I lightly LLA'd a batch of balls and ran 'em through my 1851 Navy not long ago. It grouped great from start to finish, and clean up was a breeze (in so far as BP can be). Worked great for me, much better than some of the "sworn-by" "tried-and-true" natural methods in fact. To each their own obviously, but it worked great for me.

The difference, though, would probably be in the nature of the beast. By the time a correct-sized revolver ball is seated in the cylinder and the shaved ring drops, the bore doesn't see much ball lube anyway other than a touch from the jump out o the cylinder as the ball grabs the lands. In this sense, LLA did good for me. From a traditional muzzle-stuffer perspective, I'd have to agree opposite--It's not the way to go. Since the OP was directed at revolvers, I say go for it.

Fly
06-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Rangefinder you did the same as I, but I did add powdered graphite once a Alox got
sticky.I can see where using petroleum grease would be bad.But there is so little
Alox on a ball I can't see it making any mess.

It did not mine.I did about 50 balls in it & I have shot most up & not had a problem.
It is just some thing I tried & this gun shoots on target as good or better than any
hand gun I own, smoke less or BP.

Fly

PAT303
06-06-2010, 10:24 PM

You learnt the hard way too Jeff?. Pat

frontier gander
06-09-2010, 03:45 PM
i just used some bullets yesterday that i lubed with Alox. using both blackhorn209 and american pioneer, i didnt find any "tar" when i cleaned the rifles.

straight-shooter
06-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Since I put my own homemade 1/8" thick felt lube wads under the ball soaked Crisco-beeswax-parafin, I just lube the balls with Johnson Paste Wax and all is good. No build up or loss of accuracy.

twildman
06-13-2010, 11:58 PM
The information I have gotten on petroleum vs. natural lipids has been contradictory, so of course I had to try the hard way. I have gotten nice results in my .36 Navy with Lubriplate grease, and okay results with my beeswax/paraffin/vaseline/white grease mix, but today I tried plain vaseline, and it was horrid; hard tarry residue. A rangemate loaned me some Bore Butter, and it was amazingly good. I love neatsfoot oil as a patch lube, but of course it is hardly suitable as a revolver lube; I might try mixing it with b'wax and seeing how it goes for that purpose.