PDA

View Full Version : brass question

mannyCA
05-26-2010, 10:58 PM
I was sorting some .45 acp brass tonight and noticed that Speer had a bigger flash hole than most. Anyone else notice this and if so is there any issue anyone had brought up?

mike in co
05-26-2010, 11:11 PM
I was sorting some .45 acp brass tonight and noticed that Speer had a bigger flash hole than most. Anyone else notice this and if so is there any issue anyone had brought up?

does it have a small primer pocket also ?

there exists "nt" brass used with a nontoxic primer for indoor ranges....

small primer pockets

mister gizmo
05-28-2010, 10:17 AM
There have been several threads on this, here in the Forum.

Generally, Speer, Remington and Winchester are producing .45acp in both large and small primer cases. The small primer cases usually are the frangible bullet products. I think the large primer cases have a pocket diameter of about 0.20" and the small are 0.15". Flash holes may be different also.

Remington stamps their cases "NT", Speer doesn't give you any clue. Trying to reload any of the small primer cases in a progressive or semi-progressive loader can produce a dangerous primer explosion.

The small primer cases can be successfully reloaded with small rifle or pistol primers.

mannyCA
05-29-2010, 02:11 AM
The speer have the same large primer pockets yet the flash holes are larger.

sagacious
05-29-2010, 02:17 AM
The speer have the same large primer pockets yet the flash holes are larger.

Yes, I have noticed that. If you inspect all of your brass, you'll see that the flash-hole may sometimes vary slightly by manufacturer, and even occasionally within a manufacturer. Doesn't seem to make any noticeable difference during casual target practice-- certainly not a safety hazard with standard 45ACP loads. Load as usual. Good luck.

jmorris
05-29-2010, 08:29 AM
I noticed this years ago and separated a mix of small hole large primer, large hole large primer and small primer brass out and loaded them with the same bullet and powder combination. Over a chronograph the larger the flash hole the less SD but not enough it would matter much.

mister gizmo
05-29-2010, 05:53 PM
I don't mind sorting headstamps and I don't mind sorting large vs. small primers, but if somebody wants me to sort by flash hole size my head will explode! [smilie=b:[smilie=b:

mannyCA
05-29-2010, 06:29 PM
I don't mind sorting headstamps and I don't mind sorting large vs. small primers, but if somebody wants me to sort by flash hole size my head will explode! [smilie=b:[smilie=b:

Yet another variable that will keep bouncing around in the back of my head while I sort...:mrgreen:

swampfox1975
05-31-2010, 01:17 AM
I have never paid attention to it, thanks for sharing.

2_Smithereenz
05-31-2010, 06:56 PM
I'm glad somebody brought this up, now I will be asking what size primer pocket before I buy any brass on the internet. I wouldn't have thought about it before.:-|