PDA

View Full Version : M44 disappointment.

JeffinNZ
05-26-2010, 08:23 PM
Team.

So I'm at the range at the weekend and I one of our longer term members lining up at 50m with a very tidy Polish M44. I hastly get in behind his bay off to one side waiting the for the muzzle flash thinking "please let it be heavy ball, please let it be heavy ball....."

Well, what a let down. He was shooting Ed Harris's "The Load". 13gr of Red Dot equivalent behind a Lee 160gr bullet. Ssshhheesssshhhh.

I tell you what though. That wee Polish rig sure was tidy and smooth as a baby's bottom!!!

RU shooter
05-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Yes the Polish were some of the nicest of the M44's imported here to the states I can still remember when I first seen them the gun shop had a wall full of them all were unissued right out of the crates for a tiddy sum of 70.00 each and had 54R ammo loose in a big whiskey barrel that could be bought by the pound!!!! If I only could see into the future and what unissued ones sell for now!!!!

bruce drake
05-27-2010, 09:17 AM
" I hastly get in behind his bay off to one side waiting the for the muzzle flash thinking "please let it be heavy ball, please let it be heavy ball....."

That's a downright nasty thought....But I would have been thinking and doing the very same thing!:drinks:

"The Load" is excellent in the M44 rigs. I use it all the time in my Russian M44. I just hate scrubbing the leadwash and lube off my bayonet every time I take it out to shoot it!

Bruce

JeffinNZ
05-27-2010, 06:13 PM
" I hastly get in behind his bay off to one side waiting the for the muzzle flash thinking "please let it be heavy ball, please let it be heavy ball....."

That's a downright nasty thought....But I would have been thinking and doing the very same thing!:drinks:

"The Load" is excellent in the M44 rigs. I use it all the time in my Russian M44. I just hate scrubbing the leadwash and lube off my bayonet every time I take it out to shoot it!

Bruce

What can I say Bruce? I like a good show.

"The Load" is well suited to short barrels. That 13gr charge will burn in about half the barrel I would guess.

Multigunner
05-27-2010, 08:35 PM
An independent film maker visited our site years ago with a query on why a special effects shot hadn't panned out.

The high tech rifles used in front of the camera were dummy rifles or replicas of very expensive modern weaponry, but to ad realism he was trying to get foootage of real muzzle blasts by firing an M44 at night.
The mixed bag of ammo used was the problem. Some shots gave no blast that the camera could pick up while others threw streaks of fire that lit up the woods like a Starwars raygun blast.

I inadvertantly fired a monster of a 7.92 aircraft or anti-aircraft MG load in my 18inch Persian mauser carbine many years ago. The blast was so intense I thought the gun had exploded. Some of the German LMG loads were 30% higher pressure than standard ball, equal to a proof load for a modern sporter in 7.92.

twotoescharlie
05-28-2010, 09:37 AM
I still have a unfired, unissued Polish M44. purchased it when they were first imported.it was so purdy I just didn't have the heart to shoot it. at the time I had several M44's and M38's and shot them. still haven't shot the Polish.

TTC

PAT303
05-29-2010, 02:37 AM
I had a 18'' No.4 carbine that could match the nagant on muzzle blast shooting Mk8z ammo.Both rifles feel like someones smacking your ears with each shot. Pat

Combat Diver
06-01-2010, 06:26 AM
Here's my Polish (oval with 11 inside) M44 made in 1953. I bought this one from Frankonia Jgd in Munich, Germany in 1989 for about $88 (course I paid in DM at the time). Good thing is that there is no importers marks on the barrel as I was the importer (a service member could bring back 3 longguns at a time without an ATF Form 6). Bottom is a cut down 1891 made by Tula in 1904. The Tula has a larger muzzle flash over the Radom as there are two large ports at the end of the barrel. (it was cut down to a Scout rifle when I bought it and I replaced the broken Bushnell Phantom scope and repainted her)

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Mosin_Nagants_PC140134.JPG

Rio Grande
06-04-2010, 04:48 AM
Here's my Polish (oval with 11 inside) M44 made in 1953. I bought this one from Frankonia Jgd in Munich, Germany in 1989 for about $88 (course I paid in DM at the time). Good thing is that there is no importers marks on the barrel as I was the importer (a service member could bring back 3 longguns at a time without an ATF Form 6). Bottom is a cut down 1891 made by Tula in 1904. The Tula has a larger muzzle flash over the Radom as there are two large ports at the end of the barrel. (it was cut down to a Scout rifle when I bought it and I replaced the broken Bushnell Phantom scope and repainted her)

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Mosin_Nagants_PC140134.JPG

La Belle et la Bête!!!!!