PDA

View Full Version : Manufacture Date?

454PB
08-04-2006, 12:22 AM
Today I was trying some cast loads in the Model 94 Carbine that I inherited from my Dad. It's probably the first time this gun was fired since I refinished it about 30 years ago. This little gun surprised me, putting an undeveloped cast load utilizing the Lee 170 grain GC boolits in a nice four shot 1 1/2" group at 50 yards even with it's crappy hooded front sight. I wonder if any of you Winchester lever gun experts can give me an idea of when this gun was made? Serial number is 1000XXX.

When I was about 15 years old, I watched Dad drop a nice 4 point mule deer with this gun at about 200 yards offhand....one shot. I thought he was the finest shot in the world after seeing that, and he said nothing to discourage my thinking.

Four Fingers of Death
08-04-2006, 03:17 AM
That rifle must mean a lot to you, glad its bac ing action. Mick.

Doug S
08-04-2006, 06:30 AM
Guns in the low one million range were made in 1927, #1,000,000 was given to Calvin Coolidge in that year.

Doug

Char-Gar
08-04-2006, 07:10 AM
The Winny 94/Thutty-Thutty and cast bullets are a natural match. I have yet to see one that didn't do as good or better with cast ,as it will do with those little yellow thingies.

calaverasslim
08-04-2006, 11:05 AM
Several years ago a friend offered me a M94 as part of a deal. Said it was good only for hanging on the wall. Said the barrel was shot out. I took a look and found it was a 1927 M94 SRC. Oh heck, make me eat a chocolate cake. I scrubbed out the barrel with a steel brush and cleaned it up and using 150gr FN w/check was shooting 1" or less at 50 yards. Did this feller howl..... Well, being the nice fella I am, I offered it back to him. Sed I got my pleasure out getting this rifle to shoot well.

I told him that lead bullets bullets were made for the 30wcf and he should use them instead of the jacketed for that vintage rifle.

oh? What happened to the rifle, you ask?

I have it locked in my safe. he reached for it and I broke his finger.......:mrgreen:

Now you know the rest of the story.....

Baldy
08-04-2006, 01:01 PM
If I was you young man I wouldn't take a million bucks for that one. I got a couple like that myself.

Jack Stanley
08-04-2006, 09:25 PM
Slim , I loved that story ! That'll teach him fer bein' an indian giver :Fire:

Jack

454PB
08-04-2006, 11:50 PM
Thanks, Doug S. I did a thorough cleaning and barrel inspection. It looks like new, no pits or signs of rusting. I was mildly surprised at that, Dad was not known to spend a lot of time with his guns, other than shooting. He cleaned them faithfully, but then put them away and never looked at them again until he was ready to shoot. He was born and raised during the great depression, and I could write a rather humorous book on some of his "thrifty" tendencies.

I also inherited an older Marlin 336 RC 30/30 from him that he rescued from a garage sale and "repaired". It's a pitiful looking thing, and one day I'll take some pictures showing the front sight welding job and other interesting characteristics. I have also test fired this dandy, but was embarrassed that someone at the range might see it.

That man could fix anything and make it work.....might not be pretty but it worked!