PDA

View Full Version : New Member - Bought a new press

jonblack
05-26-2010, 01:40 AM
Hello everyone. My name is jonblack and I am a new member here. My normal hangout is the reloading section over at AR15.com. There I recently stumbled on a thread about swaging lead filled cases into bullets, which lead me here. I have been lurking a few days reading as much as I can.

So, I was at my friend's shop today, and I spotted a Lyman Crusher II. The price was right so I couldn't resist.

Lyman Crusher II (http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/presses-and-kits/LyC_RPK_Crusher.php)

In the future I would like to swage some 5.7x28 cases into .308 projectiles and 9mm cases into .40 projectiles. Is the press I bought today up to the task?

Thanks in advance
jonblack

ANeat
05-26-2010, 02:11 PM
JB welcome; Im sure that would hold up as well as a Rockchucker and a lot of guys are doing what you want with one of those.

jonblack
05-26-2010, 07:56 PM
Thank you for your reply. I am looking forward to swaging my first cases into bullets. I need to learn a little more before I take the plunge. Need to do more research as to what kind of plugs I need to fill the 9mm cases.

Take care
jonblack

BT Sniper
05-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Welcome to the sight. All you will ever need to know is here. I have done quite a bit to brass cases and can certainly point you in right direction. Many others here have a lot to offer as well.

Here is a couple links to start you off with.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=70121

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=61720

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=72253

Yes the laymen will work just fine. I have one myself if it is the same as their orange crusher. Not quite sure which I have I guess but it will work especially for the smaller 40 vs. say the 44s. Smaller the bullet easier it is to form.

jonblack
05-26-2010, 08:31 PM
Thanks BT for your reply. I will spend some time looking at the links you provided. I have already read a few threads about your modified CH4D dies. I will most likely be IMing you in the future. Bad thing is, I don't even have a 40 S&W. I have picked up so much 40 brass over the past few years that I have been thinking of getting one. I already reload, so that is a step in the right direction.

Thanks again
jonblack

BT Sniper
05-26-2010, 09:36 PM
My story is quite similar. I make all sorts of caliber bullets but only shot 44 and 308 till this year I finally got a couple 40s. Lot of fun making bullets though.

BT

Jim_Fleming
05-27-2010, 11:13 PM
Jon, forgive my strong opinions, please...

But I think, if you're going to buy a .40 S&W, make your purchase a Glock 22...

You WON'T be sorry... IMHO!

LOL!

Thanks BT for your reply. I will spend some time looking at the links you provided. I have already read a few threads about your modified CH4D dies. I will most likely be IMing you in the future. Bad thing is, I don't even have a 40 S&W. I have picked up so much 40 brass over the past few years that I have been thinking of getting one. I already reload, so that is a step in the right direction.

Thanks again
jonblack

jonblack
05-28-2010, 01:14 AM
Jim

Thanks for your reply. Well a G22 would be OK with me. I'm thinking along the lines of a .40 AR upper as well. I have had two G23s in the past. Maybe I can find a G22 upper (Lone Wolf) to go on my G34. That would be nice.

Thanks again
jonblack

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Wow, that's a lot of G's:bigsmyl2:
Jon

DukeInFlorida
05-29-2010, 11:01 AM
You have a couple of choices with the cores for the .40 S&W from 9mm cases.

1) Custom lead cores, either swaged or cast
2) standard 124/125 grain round nosed cast lead bullets, as depicted in several of the threads mentioned.

Option 2 is the better of the options in terms of getting going quickly with this setup. It makes a 187 grain bullet. It's a bit on the long side for a bullet, but there are several of us who are working on techniques for making them shorter.

jonblack
06-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Jim

You'll be happy to know that I picked up a used G22 from a good friend of mine. It was his competition gun and is highly modified. It has a Bar Sto barrel so I will be GTG for shooting lead.

I am getting all of my casting equipment together and I have recently completed my first smelt. You can read more about my challenges here:

My first time casting was a failure (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=85452)

jonblack

Jim_Fleming
06-02-2010, 06:25 PM
I've gotten wind of a new chemical treatment for Glock Barrels, it's used to prevent leading... (Yeah I know... another gimmick hits the market...) But for 18 dollars I figure it'd be worth a try in my G22...

As to your other thread, I've already added my subscription, thanks Jon, I like your style, no nonsense, no Blue Sky, aka no Blue Smoke, aka no B.S.

You're going to go far in casting swaging and reloading... My friend...

Friend request is on the way...

jonblack
06-04-2010, 02:53 AM
Jim

Thanks for the kind words. I like the bunch here already. I am a member of many forums (as I am sure a lot of people are) and I appreciate the easy going and helpful nature of the people over here.

I will keep everyone posted of my progress.

jonblack