PDA

View Full Version : BT Sniper-Dies + ANeat-Press

JTknives
05-26-2010, 12:39 AM
I am very new to this swaying business so I thought about using BT Snipers dies. I am also building a press according to ANeat design. I'm guessing these work together with a little modification. I'm guessing that the dies will be mounted upside down so the press can push the finished bullet out on the handle up stroke. Being so new to this I'm not very familiar with the process. Any ideas out there? Thanks

Red River Rick
05-26-2010, 12:53 AM
Read as much info on the subject as possible, before you take the plunge. Starting here would be wise: http://www.corbins.com/

That should keep you busy for a few evenings.

RRR

ANeat
05-26-2010, 09:31 AM
JT I dont think the CH4d stuff would work without some serious mods. You have the right idea about them needing to be screwed into the ram upside down but they arent made for that.

http://www.ch4d.com/catalog/images/101set.gif

All the knurling and lock nuts would be in the way. Probably much of that could be turned off in a lathe but its a tough call without trying it

Now if youre building a press with these dies in mind you could make everything work. Perhaps a larger threaded hole in the ram with a thread adapter that screws onto the die body?

Probably a lot of ways to do it. Wish you were closer, it would help you a lot to see the stuff in person.

I know I dove into this by going off pics and advice and everything got a lot clearer when I finally got some hands on experience

Cactus Farmer
05-26-2010, 09:43 AM
BT Sniper-Dies

Well, I guess I should have paid more attention to the forum I was reading. BT Sniper is a good guy and I was crushed to learn of his passing. THEN the lights came on.............we are now returning you to your regular programing........

Sarg
05-26-2010, 11:31 AM
I have been looking at the CH4D dies and seeing how to make them work in my Walnut Hill press .... it looks like you could just cut off the upper portion of the dies and just use a normal ejection punch for the WH Press. The upper portion just holds the CH4D ejection punch which would not be needed.

BTW - When did BT Sniper pass away???????? What happened??????

richbug
05-26-2010, 12:59 PM
BTW - When did BT Sniper pass away???????? What happened??????

I think the statement was made tongue in cheek with reference to the title of the thread. It caught me on first read too.

ANeat
05-26-2010, 01:01 PM
On the Walnut Hill with CH4d dies you could use it like a regular reloading press. There are 2 holes in the top plate to thread ejector rods thru.

It would require the reloading adapter or making up aa threaded in bottom punch but it would work well

thx997303
05-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Avoiding the casting are we JT?

JTknives
05-26-2010, 02:19 PM
well i shoot a 10mm and i like them hot. if i shoot the cast real fast thy don't like it. but mostly when i go to an indoor range thy wont let me shoot cast.

thx997303
05-26-2010, 03:09 PM
They wont let you shoot cast? Horrible thing that.

But, you do know that you can gas check cast right?

Lead will shoot plenty fast if gas checked.

You may even be able to pick up one of the gas check makers in .40

Make it nice and inexpensive.

JTknives
05-26-2010, 03:23 PM
They wont let you shoot cast? Horrible thing that.

But, you do know that you can gas check cast right?

Lead will shoot plenty fast if gas checked.

You may even be able to pick up one of the gas check makers in .40

Make it nice and inexpensive.

what if i use 45cal gas check and swage them around the cast boolit

thx997303
05-26-2010, 03:29 PM
I imagine you would get an interesting half jacketed boolit.

If you were going to do that, you may try getting a Lee push through sizer die and size the boolit base first.

Use a strong press and I can't guarantee that will work. But it may be worth a try.

thx997303
05-26-2010, 03:30 PM
Try jumping in chat if you can. I'll discuss it with you there.

JTknives
05-26-2010, 03:34 PM
ok i'm in the chat room

thx997303
05-26-2010, 03:37 PM
So am I, pay attention!

BT Sniper
05-26-2010, 04:56 PM
LOL! Caught me by supprise too. I know a few customers still waiting on their dies would be prety upset :)

As far as us in the large press I have heard the die can be used in regular fashion. Just need a custom base punch to fit threads of ram then should be good to go.

BT

JTknives
05-26-2010, 06:04 PM
sorry to make everyone think you where not with us any more.

BT Sniper
05-26-2010, 08:06 PM
No prob had a good laugh over it