PDA

View Full Version : Gun Show primers

knifemaker
05-26-2010, 12:29 AM
Just a update on primers at local gunshows.
I made a visit to Reno, Nevada this weekend. Stopped by Extreme bullets and picked up 4 thousand 45 cal. bullets for my son and mine IDPA match shooting.
While there I had attended the Reno Gun show at the convention center for the purpose of looking for large pistol primers. I found several private seller tables that had a small amount of primers for "holdup" prices. Would you believe 50 bucks for a packet of 500 primers at one table.
I spotted the Mi-Wall ammo tables and checked them out. Just about any caliber of ammo you might need and they had plenty of primers. I ended up buying 10,000 Winchester LP primers for the price of $24.00 per thousand primers.
Hopefully the primer shortage is coming to a end.
For you Nevada guys, I learned at Extreme bullets they are now carrying primers for their walk in bullet customers. Since I had already purchased the winchester primers, I did not inquire about price, but if they are in line with their bullet prices, they should be reasonable.:Fire:

BruceB
05-26-2010, 02:20 AM
A the Reno Scheels' store about ten days ago, there was a good supply of all primer sizes in several brands, including CCI, Federal and Winchester. The going rate seemed to be $34 per thousand, which I don't find too bad, but $24 sure whips it rather badly. I bought a BIG bunch of Winchester LR primers from Mi-Wall a few years ago, and the whole lot was seriously undersize in all makes of case. Some of the primers could be finger-seated in new brass, and some would just fall right out of the pockets. I was VERY glad to see the end of that batch!

Note that the show knifemaker attended was actually the Crossroads of the West Show, which is a poor relative to the Big Reno Show held at the Grand Sierra Resort three times per year. No comparison!

Rocky Raab
05-26-2010, 09:24 AM
Yup. They ought to rename that carnival the Crossroads Teeshirt, Jerky and Phone Flea Market.

The Big Reno Show requires by contract (and will inspect your table) that vendors carry guns and gun/outdoor-related stuff only. I have witnessed them actually booting a vendor out on setup day because he intended selling non-approved wares of the Crossroads variety. Good for them!

44fanatic
05-26-2010, 09:52 AM
Place I buy primers at here in TN regularly sells them at $32 per thousand and he keeps them in stock.

jaguarxk120
05-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Gun show this past weekend SE michigan and the primers were $40 thousand. Just kept on walking.

MtGun44
05-26-2010, 02:24 PM
$24/1000 is amazing. My WHOLESALE cost today for Fed 150 Lg Pistol primers in
5K minimum buy is $25.89 or very close, I forget the exact cents. The miracle was
that they had them.

Bill

mike in co
05-26-2010, 02:57 PM
$24/1000 is amazing. My WHOLESALE cost today for Fed 150 Lg Pistol primers in
5K minimum buy is $25.89 or very close, I forget the exact cents. The miracle was
that they had them.

Bill

yep they had them at the las vegas show i did..i postit then...selling for less than i can buy as a dealer.

knifemaker
05-26-2010, 04:44 PM
The total price for a case of 5000 was $129.22 that included the sales tax of $9.27. Now you know why I grabbed 2 cases for a total of 10,000 primers. They also had other brands including CCI.

JIMinPHX
05-26-2010, 08:52 PM
My local stores are starting to get more normal levels of primers back in stock. They are putting them back out on the shelves again, not keeping them behind the counter anymore. Prices are around $35/thousand on Winchester. CCI & Rem are also showing up in fair quantities.

Freightman
05-27-2010, 08:14 AM
That is low for our gun show average about &30 with some dummies still asking, not getting $60 per M

mroliver77
05-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Friggen gun show here went up to $5. entry fee. I rarely find anything there I want and the componant and ammo dealers are hiway robbers! I will not be going much any more. I have a nice stash of primers but if I seen them for $24 K I would have to grab some more!
Jay

deerslayer
05-28-2010, 01:53 PM
Friggen gun show here went up to $5. entry fee. I rarely find anything there I want and the componant and ammo dealers are hiway robbers! I will not be going much any more. I have a nice stash of primers but if I seen them for $24 K I would have to grab some more!
Jay

Would that be the bill goodman gun and knife show? If so they are a ripoff here to! I would buy primers at $24 a thousand that is a heck of a price!!

Japlmg
05-30-2010, 05:07 PM
I just bought 50,000 mixed Wolf primers for $22.00 to $22.50 per thousand, plus shipping.
That comes out to just under $24 per thousand.
Gregg

wistlepig1
05-30-2010, 11:57 PM
I was at the local gun emporium last Thursday and they had CCI, Win and I think Rem for 35 and change plus tax and" recapable tires":kidding:. Didn't need, so NO sale!

Frank46
05-30-2010, 11:57 PM
Just went to a local gun show here in louisiana saturday. Dealers had plenty of primers, powder but very little brass. Did score some brown bear 9x18 mak ammo.
One dealer had it for $19 a box and the other had it for $13 a box. Same stuff so I got the cheaper of the two. Just walking out to go home and spotted a stainless S&W 624 6.5 bbl in 44 special. Origional box, papers and sealed cleaning kit. Target hammer and trigger. That went home with me. I'll be eating the cheap stuff till I pay it off. Frank

jlchucker
06-01-2010, 09:16 AM
I stopped by a gun shop in New Hampshire last week. The shopkeeper said he's got pretty much every size in stock right now. He said the problem began with the last federal election when everyone who usually bought primers a brick at a time all of a sudden started buying them by the caseload. We've all heard/read this before. Apparently the panic-buying has slowed a bit. I didn't ask their prices, but was told by somebody that another shop a few miles away had them, and for a bit cheaper, too. I haven't stopped at the other shop yet.