PDA

View Full Version : More questions on the RCBS Lube-a-matic

Duckhunter
05-26-2010, 12:05 AM
I lubed my first boolits today using an old RCBS Lube-a-matic. It took me while to keep the lube off the nose of the boolit but I think I have my sizing die adjusted correctly now. There is a considerable amount of lube oozing through the bottom of the sizing die and collecting around the ejector plunger. My question, "is this normal of should there be some gasket or packing gland that I need to repalce or adjust?" I don't have an instruction booklet with this lube-sizer.

94Doug
05-26-2010, 12:23 AM
are you heating the lube? It may just be too warm.

fryboy
05-26-2010, 12:32 AM
ditto ...it also depends upon base style of the boolit a, a bevel base will collect lube whereas a flat base shouldnt, sometimes fine tuning the adjustment depth works as well as does keeping just the minimum pressure needed ( lyman always stated by pulling the handle down twice per boolit) some folks take and make a lil washer from a styrofoam egg carton and place under the bullet base , i have a old one too and other than disliking the nut that holds the die in i like it ( to be fair i dislike the same thing on the lyman 450 and 4500 even tho it's supposed to be better than the old #45 )

edit for add...

here's the link to rcbs's instructions

http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instructions/Lube-A-Matic_Instructions.pdf

Daddyfixit
05-26-2010, 01:12 AM
Heat? or you might be cranking too much pressure with the lube screw?

RobS
05-26-2010, 01:47 AM
Duckhunter:

There is no gasket etc at the bottom where the ejector rod comes in contact with the die on the underneath side of the press. The die is put into the press and then it seals on the bottom by a metal on metal snug fit between the die and the press's housing.

I would have to agree that if you are running a heater it is a bit too warm or you are turning the reservoir plunger screw down too much. Also make sure to relieve the pressure from the screw when you are finished sizing.

Also another thought............make sure that the die is all the way down in the press. I do this by putting in the die and then place a quarter on top of the die. After this I then run the ram down onto the quarter and die and push it all the way down until it makes a solid contact with the bottom of press housing. Then you can put the die holding nut back on.

Here is the online manual for your press.............I assume it is the RCBS Lube-a-matic and not the RCBS Lube-a-matic 2

http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instructions/Lube-A-Matic_Bullet_Sizer_Lubricator_Instructions.pdf

Duckhunter
05-26-2010, 08:18 AM
Thanks guys. I've tried to find a copy of the operating instructions; this will help a lot. I'm not using a heater but yesterday afternoon the temp reached near 90. I've still go some work to do on adjusting the die but this will certainly help.