PDA

View Full Version : FN FAL .22RF kit.

JeffinNZ
05-25-2010, 06:29 PM
Team.

I saw the cutest thing last evening at the range. One of our milsurp FN FAL's (NZ SLR) with a H&K .22RF conversion kit.

Barrel liner and blow back action that all just drops straight into the receiver. Really very cool. The owner shoots rabbits with it.

MtGun44
05-26-2010, 12:26 AM
I'll bet that is one rare and expensive "piece of kit" (if I understand the Brit idom correctly).

Bill

Cactus Farmer
05-26-2010, 01:05 AM
I love FALs but never heard of a 22 conversion. I have an Aussie FAL with the aluminum butt plate. Bore is as new. Shoots like a new one too. Trilux scope and all. A bit heavy but it's not a poodle gun either.

BruceB
05-26-2010, 02:03 AM
Ever since I took up casting for my rifles and handguns, my rather extensive array of .22 rimfires has fallen into disuse.

I'd MUCH rather fire something with some power, noise and recoil than mess with the little .22s, and the cast loads allow such shooting at moderate cost. When my M1A, Garand, #4, Krag etc etc all give satisfying results with cast loads which can easily reach several hundred yards, I just can't get very interested in limiting my shooting distances to the accurate range of a .22.

There are some rather exotic .22 firearms taking up houseroom here, but in all honesty, none of them have had any extensive fresh air for many years. I did take an Anschutz .22 LR sporter on the ground-squirrel safari this April, but that is a rare exception, and the first outing for that rifle in years. I had a #8 Enfield (essentially a .22 LR mag-fed repeater on the #4 format) but even that rare bird saw little shooting. I'd rather shoot the real thing!

Certainly, there are perfectly valid uses for .22 conversion kits. I'm just fortunate to have the room and opportunity to do my shooting with the full-size rounds. For some reason though, I'd still be very reluctant to give up any of my wonderful rimfires...

richbug
05-26-2010, 03:00 PM
I'll bet that is one rare and expensive "piece of kit" (if I understand the Brit idom correctly).

Bill

If you think the conversions kits are bad, you should price some spare magazines. The last one I saw sell was up for sale exactly 5 minutes, and sold for $250.

I briefly entertained the idea of making a conversion, and had a design worked out, but decided I had better ways to waste my time.

JeffinNZ
05-26-2010, 06:21 PM
BRUCE: I enjoy my casting and loading too but every now and then I take a rimfire to the range or out rabbiting and it suddenly dawns on my how cool they are. Cheap to feed and no brass to take home.