PDA

View Full Version : Herters rifle die?

wonderwolf
05-25-2010, 02:13 PM
How are the herter rifle dies made? do they have the point form in the die or is that made in a shell holdter type punch?

How many dies where in a set and what all parts were needed?

gunguychuck
05-25-2010, 09:27 PM
All the Herters dies I've seen are the single die that will only make a bullet with a shoulder like a semi wad cutter. They sold these single dies in .224, .243 and other rifle calibers and sold little half jackets to make little semi wadcutter half jackets. I still have some of these in .224. From the prices I've seen bid on these dies on E-bay I think some people think they make a pointed bullet.

wonderwolf
05-26-2010, 08:59 AM
That's interesting, So the point form is in the shell holder punch and not the die?

Pressman
05-26-2010, 05:37 PM
All the Herter's 7/8-14 swaging dies have the nose punch in the bottom. Forming the bullet upside down.

Ken

Bent Ramrod
05-29-2010, 11:12 PM
You could get a wadcutter, a SWC, a round nose, a flat nose or a conical point on the punch. All the bullets thus made had a shoulder between the cylindrical portion and the nose that made the bullet (except for the WC and SWC) look kind of crude. Most of the dies I've seen, if they're still complete in the box, have nose punches which fit the shell holder for the round in which the bullet is to be used.

miestro_jerry
05-29-2010, 11:42 PM
Wonderwolf,

Are you talking about swaging dies or standard rifle reloading dies?

Jerry

wonderwolf
05-30-2010, 01:31 PM
You could get a wadcutter, a SWC, a round nose, a flat nose or a conical point on the punch. All the bullets thus made had a shoulder between the cylindrical portion and the nose that made the bullet (except for the WC and SWC) look kind of crude. Most of the dies I've seen, if they're still complete in the box, have nose punches which fit the shell holder for the round in which the bullet is to be used.

OK thanks for the replies, Sounds like the CH 105 half jacket dies Those are good for pistol but not for what I had in mind for .243. A guy had a single die on ebay and I was watching it. But it went for far more than I would take a chance on.

wonderwolf
05-30-2010, 01:31 PM
Wonderwolf,

Are you talking about swaging dies or standard rifle reloading dies?

Jerry

Just the swage die

deltaenterprizes
05-30-2010, 02:50 PM
I just picked up 2 Herters 308 and one 38 swage dies. the nose punches are like described above. I have an old Hornady set that is similar and some CH dies that work the same way.
The Herters 9 ton set up works that way also.