PDA

View Full Version : Gas checks

walker77
05-25-2010, 01:34 PM
Do i need a special sizing die for gas checks? Im tired of fighting leading issues in my 44 mag. Hopefully this will solve it.

BrianB
05-25-2010, 01:40 PM
So far as I know, any sizing die will seat gas checks. I have used the Lee dies before and currently use an RCBS Lube-A-Matic.

ghh3rd
05-25-2010, 01:45 PM
I held my breath when I first tried my .44 mag (have used lead since I bought it new), hoping it didn't lead. I've been lucky and haven't had any. I started off with gas check boolits, and held my breath again when I tried my first plain base boolits - but still no leading.

All I've used so far is Felix Lube, and WW + 2% tin, air and water cooled.

Hope you can resolve your leading issues.

walker77
05-25-2010, 01:48 PM
What kind of load are you using? Im using a lyman Keith bullet with 9gr of unique. I tried shimming my mold on my last batch, so we will see if that helps. My barrel is .430 and i sized the bullet with the largest sizing die i could find which was .431

ph4570
05-25-2010, 02:00 PM
I have no leading in my Redhawk 44 mag using WW+tin, air cooled, 200gr or 240gr, no GC and Unique. They are light loads. The Redhawk measures .430 and boolits are sized to .432. Molds are Beagled.

sqlbullet
05-25-2010, 02:30 PM
Walker, you mention the barrel is .430. What are the cylinder throats and forcing cone? It is not unheard of for a properly sized bullet for the barrel to become to small before it gets there if other specs are at issue.

That said, I apply the gas checks for the .44 mags I cast using a Lee push through die without issue.

walker77
05-25-2010, 03:20 PM
I just got it back from cylindersmith and had them reamed out to .433

walker77
05-25-2010, 08:24 PM
By the way, when you use gas checks, how fast can you push them?

Bret4207
05-26-2010, 07:29 AM
By the way, when you use gas checks, how fast can you push them?

As fast as you want, of course they may lead like crazy if they don't fit the gun.

Seriously, the top velocity in any particular gun depends on what the gun will handle/want. Some respond nicely to a GC design and good old 2400 as long as the boolit fits. Other seems to require only a certain alloy and design in one brand of brass and using one type of lube.

Start with fit, observe and record and analyze. You are the best judge of what works in your guns.

XWrench3
05-26-2010, 08:19 AM
if your 44 mag is a S&W, check 2 things. 1, look at the forcing cone. mine looked like the machined it with a broken rasp. and 2, check to see if the bore is tight where the barrel goes through the frame. mine was tight there, i have read others that were as well. i pushed several soft lead boolits through with abrasive paste on them to open it up. and that helped mine a bunch. i still get a little leading, but it is not bad enough for me to risk going any further with it.

44man
05-26-2010, 08:56 AM
I have a Lee FCD for the 45-70 but found I don't like it for my BPCR loads at all. I normally do not crimp them anyway but had to try it.
I set it up to crimp gas checks that are loose on boolits I don't want to size, works great.
Lately I pulled some Buffalo Bore boolits to make some molds and there is a CRIMP in the center of the gas checks. Really surprising so there must be a tool out there. It looks rolled in and is centered in the check.

05-26-2010, 10:24 AM
Walker,
Gas checks won't necessarily solve a leading problem. I remember your posts regarding the cylinder and groove dimensions. I had a similar leading situation (didn't ream the cylinder, though) and went to gas check route, thinking that would be the answer. In the end, the culprit was the Unique loads that I was using. Try 2400 before you go to the expense and added effort of installing gas checks.

I think your leading problem is due to a powder/alloy mismatch. Also, ideally, your boolits still needs to be .434" and there could be a problem seating a gas check on the larger shank.

Just my two-cents, which is much less than the cost of a gas check.

44man
05-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Walker,
Gas checks won't necessarily solve a leading problem. I remember your posts regarding the cylinder and groove dimensions. I had a similar leading situation (didn't ream the cylinder, though) and went to gas check route, thinking that would be the answer. In the end, the culprit was the Unique loads that I was using. Try 2400 before you go to the expense and added effort of installing gas checks.

I think your leading problem is due to a powder/alloy mismatch. Also, ideally, your boolits still needs to be .434" and there could be a problem seating a gas check on the larger shank.

Just my two-cents, which is much less than the cost of a gas check.
Refreshing to see my observations are taking hold and others have found the same things.

Wally
05-26-2010, 11:18 AM
I have a Ruger SBK & a Model 29..both lead up. The Ruger has chamber throats of .431" and the Model 20 .430"--groove diameters for both are at .429~.430". I have used bullets sized at .430 and .431" and they will lead up the barrels a bit. Using a GC bullet and the leading is gone. I bought a Freechex tool and make my own now...IMHO they are worth the effort. Also, have found that GC bullets are just a wee bit more accurate.