PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Please.

TDB9901
05-25-2010, 11:06 AM
I have a meager quantity of a special purpose lube containing the following from it's MSDS.

Petroleum wax 64742-43-3 65%
Molybdenum Disulfide 1317-33-5 25%
Ethylene-Vinyalacetate co-polymer 10%

It's pretty hard and brittle in its current state. I'm sure that's what the co-polymer is for in the mix.

I have done some experimenting with it melted in combination with bees wax, grease etc. but not a lot yet, as there are just too many other projects, and irons in the fire. Haven't shot any yet.

The possibilities are there I think for an additive in a recipe for boolit use but my question for some of you chemists among us.............

Do you think the Ethylene-Vinyalacetate (A plasticizer I'm sure) might gum up or otherwise damage a barrel?? I'm pretty sure it could be cleaned out eventually if it does.... probably not much different than plastic fouling in a shotgun bore....... but just looking for a knowlegeable opinion... Might not be worth the hassle.....but it is an available source for the Moly ...if that's desireable.

wiljen
05-25-2010, 11:33 AM
From the MSDS Sheet on EVA (your polymer)

a variety of thermal decomposition products may be present if the product is overheated, is smoldering or catches fire. These range from simple hydrocarbons (such as methane and propane) to toxic/irritating vapors (such as carbon monoxide and dioxide, acrolein, aldehydes and ketones).

That sounds like burning it might be more harmful to you than the barrel.

TDB9901
05-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Thanks wiljin,

I doubt anyone would be breathing many of the fumes unless it was overheated during mixing. Might want to do that with good ventilation.... but that's good advise with several aspects of our hobby anyway.

Guess I was more concerned with the deposit of plastic **** in the bore..... sounds like some of it anyway might be consumed and burned away..... The only way to know is probably just shoot it and see.