PDA

View Full Version : Newbie, help choosing a .44mag mold

HDS
05-25-2010, 04:04 AM
Hello! I want to start casting bullets for my .44mag levergun (Rossi 92) and my S&W 629. I've been planning this for quite a while now and it's gathering speed as of late.

Just picked up about 100lbs of lead and I was all ready to order a melter, molds and .44 reloading dies and such from Lee (already own a Lee classic turret that I load .45ACP and .223rem on). I was planning on going with the classic 240 grain Elmer Keith style SWC, I like the 6 cavity design too and I see it has a good rep around here as well.

Unfortunately I saw that the one I am looking at, it's a gas check mold and I wasn't planning on using gas checks, atleast not just yet, I am new to the .44s and I was planning to shoot mostly lighter cast loads and eventually work my way up to bigger loads. Also buying gas checks cuts into the "profit margin".

What do you guys recommend as a first mold? I want to shoot at metal plates and targets to begin with, eventually doing some long range silhoutte shooting. I was quite set on the Lee 6-cavity because of price and production rate.

dale2242
05-25-2010, 09:00 AM
Lyman 429291 or it`s clone would be the lace to start....dale

1874Sharps
05-25-2010, 09:10 AM
I have found the Lyman 429421 245 grain SWC mold casts great boolits that every 44 caliber gun I have shoots well.

94Doug
05-25-2010, 09:27 AM
I'd say the 429421 design as well. You might look into the NOE buy going on. A little more than the Lee, but well worth it.

Doug

Bass Ackward
05-25-2010, 10:15 AM
Well, you may or may not have a problem. My 429421 seats to an OAL of 1.71. That won't cycle / feed / work in a lot of levers unless you modify the feed ramp and then it is still iffy.

You really need to bum a few samples of what ever you "think" that you want to try.

1. First it must feed.
2. Then it must fit both.
3. Then you worry about one load that works in both.

I would put your odds for load satisfaction for companion gun rigs at about 6 in 10. 1 in 10 if you are picky for accuracy in both. Companion guns are the most difficult because you are trying to fit two totally different guns. And handguns "tend" to have WAY better tolerances.

I would HIGHLY recommend GCs for use in multiple gun set-ups. If you can shoot faster powders, use one design for low velocity (maybe even do well without the check) and high for hunting you save on molds too. And you will clean less often, so they actually SAVE you money. Wouldn't hurt to choose a hollow point design either if you shoot low enough volume or can buy one of these high horsepower jobs they make today.

Both GCs and HPs increase your chances for accurate, shooting bliss when you can't fit ideally to multiple guns.

1874Sharps
05-25-2010, 11:42 AM
BA does make a good point about multiple gun use (lever gun and revolver) and gas checks. It is true that if you intend to only shoot a given boolit in revolvers you will have much more latitude, as there will be no action and magazine for the round to cycle through. Also, many shooters report good results using a GC boolit with no GC at lower velocities. Since you cite a S&W 629 as the launching platform you may want to get a GC boolit to give you the high velocity capability. Sometimes a one-size-fits-all boolit approach works, often it is less than ideal for certain applications.

Larry Gibson
05-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Yes Bass is giving good advice. I have had several handgun/rifle of the same cartridge over the years (357, .44 and 45 Colt). I've found that a GC bullet is always the most accurate in such combo's. However PB'd cast bullets can give good accuracy also if you develope the load correctly. I have used Lyman's 429421 and also the RCBS 44-250-SWC-K.

Many times a PB'd magnum level load (Keith's classic 22/2400/429421 is an excellent example) that is accurate in the revolver is not very accurate in the rifle. The trick to good accuracy for both is to stay within the published load limits of the revolver and develop the load for accuracy with the rifle. Once the rifle load is developed then just accept that accuracy in the revolver. Most often that load will shoot very well in the revolver.

Larry Gibson

HDS
05-25-2010, 02:48 PM
No workable Lee alternatives here at all? I really don't see myself spending the big bucks that lymans and similar require for my first moulds....

Blammer
05-25-2010, 03:32 PM
if you're set on a 6cavity LEE, there appears to be only two mould designs you'll find acceptable.

one is the 200gr Round flat nose plain base and the other is a round nose. Since hunting does not seem to be on your list, I'd get the round nose one as it will most likely be more accurate at distance.

Artful
05-25-2010, 03:38 PM
This isn't the same price as Lee's but thought I'd bring it up

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=64662

EDK
05-25-2010, 06:59 PM
I've had good luck with used moulds on this forum and internet auctions...so far!

Slug your barrels...and the chamber throats on your revolver. I use .432 for a number of RUGERS, S&Ws, and MARLIN Cowboy rifles. You can get an inexpensive LEE push through sizing die and use LEE LIQUID ALOX (or LARS' XLOX; a less expensive alternative) on almost any boolit you cast. Buckshot (here) makes custom dies at a low price if LEE doesn't have what you need.

The Keith boolit (429421 and clones) feeds in my rifles. 429244 and 429215 work well also. Better is round nose, flat point for rifles. Try to find a RANCH DOG TLC 432 265 or LYMAN 429667...the LEE 200 RF is good, but I prefer a 240 or heavier in my "herd of VAQUEROS." I use LYMAN 427666 and a 200 grain full wadcutter on occasion. Do a little experimenting with over all length and you can improve feeding in the rifle.

You'll eventually find that while ammo is inter-changeable, you'll load rifle specific for hunting, etc. The revolver shoots real well with lower end loads...less wear and tear on the gun and the shooter both! They ain't giving gas checks away and you don't need them for loads under 1200 fps if your boolit fit is good.

:redneck: :cbpour:

HDS
05-26-2010, 02:06 AM
This isn't the same price as Lee's but thought I'd bring it up

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=64662

That looks interesting, 14th december is a bit far in the future though but I'll definitly keep it in mind. Gotta see if they're willing to do intl. shipping (located in Finland).

HDS
05-26-2010, 04:16 AM
Well looks like it's the 5-cavity mould for me. More expensive than I planned but I suppose I won't be casting this summer then, will move it towards autumn. But atleast I got the bullet I wanted with a high capacity mould.