PDA

View Full Version : Oiling a laminated stock?

shooting on a shoestring
05-24-2010, 09:24 PM
I had the good fortune of aquiring a laminated stock Model 77. Its the first laminated stock I've owned.

All my walnut stocks get rubbed down with Marvel Mystery Oil (Red Oil substitute) and feel great, live long, look super. Before I oiled the laminated stock I wondered if the epoxy in the laminate would have a problem with MM oil.

Anyone have anything to relate?

S.R.Custom
05-24-2010, 09:42 PM
Dunno about MMO, but I've done laminated stocks with Boiled Linseed Oil that turned out stunning. This is one I'm working on currently. This particular stock is one I stained before I started in with the BLO process...

The problem with working with laminated stocks isn't layers coming apart --I've never had that happen-- but with finding voids (bubbles) in between the layers when I'm sanding. If you look closely, you can see one here (in the comb flute). Annoyingly common in some brands of stocks...

shooting on a shoestring
05-25-2010, 09:02 PM
S.R. Custom - Thanks for the reply. Well if you're doing oil finishes on laminated stocks ( and that on is mighty pretty ), I'll not worry about a little wipe down with MM oil.

If I do hit a problem, I'll post.

Ben
05-27-2010, 01:50 PM
shooting on a shoestring :

I've always been told that oil ( petroleum based oil ) is an enemy of wood and causes the wood fibers to break down. I personally would not put petroleum based oil on any of my stocks.

Ben

shooting on a shoestring
05-27-2010, 11:03 PM
Ben, thanks for the tip, but too late. Some of my guns have lived in Red oil or MM oil since the 50's. They look great, feel good, don't look like they're suffering any.

I do store my muzzle loader ram rods in black pipe capped, stood on end, filled with ATF. When I need one, I pull it out (keep wires on them for easy retrevial) wipe it off and use it. They don't break b/c they flex like fiberglass. Dry ones break often as I use tight patches in .32.

I'll oil up the laminated stock when I get back home and see how it does. If it has a problem, I'll post.