PDA

View Full Version : Bullet lube smoke

mebehaison
05-24-2010, 04:11 PM
I'm new to reloading and to this forum and was hoping to get some opinions as a forum search and web search didn't land me any answers.

I've been loading Missouri bullets with the blue lube. When I first shot my first reloads ever it was quite smokey. I figured thats just what reloads do. I figured it was the lead or the powder, but then a seasoned reloader told me it was probably the bullet lube.

My first question is, for any that also use the Missouri bullets, do they tend to smoke any more than other cast bullets that you've used?

Secondly, is the smoke from shooting these cast bullets dangerous to be around a lot of and probably inhaling a good amount of?

Thanks!

sagacious
05-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Yes, it's the lube. If you're using commercially-cast bullets, then they may not be sized correctly for your gun. If the sizing is even a tiny bit too small, more of the lube is burned, and the amount of smoke goes way up. There can be firearm-related causes too, such as a revolver with throats tighter than the bore. The specific brand of commercial bullets and the lube that brand uses has much less effect on amount of smoke than sizing does. Perhaps this is a reason for you to get into casting your own.

It's best to shoot your smokey reloads where there's adequate ventilation. Good luck, and stay safe.

Edubya
05-24-2010, 08:55 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I just did a quick search for you and found this: http://gunloads.com/castboolits/showthread.php?t=56454

Enjoy,
EW

fredj338
05-29-2010, 01:15 PM
It's the lube, but your powder choice can affect smoke content as well. Example, I find W231/HP38 quite smokey w/ lead bullets.

Shiloh
05-30-2010, 07:23 PM
Bullseye and Unique are as well. Great powders though.

Shiloh

miestro_jerry
05-30-2010, 08:17 PM
What bullets and what kind of firearm are you using? My S&W L frame likes CBs that are .358. Where my S&W J frame likes bullets that are .357, that like size difference does make a differences in the performance of CBs.

My 308 sized bullet rifles, use bullet that range from .309 to .311, my Marlin 336 in 30-30 really does well with the .311 bullets, so does my FR8, where my Remington 788 in 30-06 works best with .309.

I use a synthetic lube that has low ash and smoke.

I think the above is the reason that most of use cast our own.

Jerry