PDA

View Full Version : Hornady beam balance scale.

dromia
05-24-2010, 03:15 AM
Went to order one for a customer and blow me if they haven't dropped it from their line. It was a fine beam balance scale too.

All they do now is their digital offering.

Don't get me wrong I've used a digital Pact digital scale and dispenser for years with nary a problem but I still rely on my beam balances for a lot of my bench work.

Feels a bit like when CDs replaced vinyl, I'm being sold a no choicer here. Never did convert to them CD's got enough music on vinyl to see me out.

Progress eh?

Le Loup Solitaire
05-25-2010, 01:17 PM
Hi, Do a search under "powder Scales" and look for one of the old Reddings. There were a lot of them made and many are still around. They are good accurate and dependable. They generally sell in the $10-$15 range even when "bid up". They have the oil damper feature, but you don't have to use it. I've had two of them for decades and they have served me well. Once calibrated they "stay put". I check them every now and then and they have never strayed. LLS

1hole
05-26-2010, 09:55 PM
I think the reloading companies LOVE digitals because of the much higher profit margin they have over beam scales, not surprised Hornady dropped 'em. Check the current (magneticly damped) Redding or an RCBS (Ohaus made) 505 or 1010, all three of them will do you great service.

fryboy
05-27-2010, 12:39 AM
seen a few on evil place from time to time ... i hear ya tho as my fav scale is the pacific model , there are others as good and perhaps better but for ease of use and simplicity plus adequate finger room makes me soz to hear that they are goin by the wayside ( bet it's a battery company idea lolz )

BillP
05-29-2010, 06:09 PM
Ditto on the old hydraulic dampened Reddings. I have one and compared it with my Hornady and RCBS beams. On small loads (2 grains) the Redding is way more consistant. The magnetic dampening isn't sensitive enough when down that low so I have to tap the bench to get it to zero.