PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Scale 10-10

Lead Fred
05-24-2010, 02:32 AM
Not them hokey electric ones.

I bought a new pan and bail for mine today.
The dang thing didnt weigh enough.
I figured out to take the center screw out, the pan is hollow and add buckshot to it.
I didnt have any shot, so I cut a 150gr M80 308 bullet in two, stuffed that in and a few spit shot from the fishin box.

Been using RCBS scales for years, and it just hit me today, you can tune them.

Gotta love RCBS

dromia
05-24-2010, 03:08 AM
RCBS would have replaced your parts FoC, they replaced my 10-10 scale pan when I stood on it. It was the cats fault really.

Yes you can adjust the level with weight in the pan holder. :D

Lead Fred
05-24-2010, 03:53 PM
This 10-10 came from a gun show with a broken pan and mickey moused bail.
I bought bent scale with good parts for $25.

The total cost of this 10-10 was $55 and 6 cents for the 150gr bullet I used for weight.

Both scales got to be over 20 years old. I didnt want to bother RCBS.

1hole
05-24-2010, 08:29 PM
"Been using RCBS scales for years, and it just hit me today, you can tune them."

Not that it matters a lot but RCBS doesn't make any scale. They buy the beam scales with their name on them from Ohaus, they buy the digitals with their name on them from China.

Lead Fred
05-24-2010, 09:42 PM
Nope it dont matter, but Ohaus makes a darn nice scale :bigsmyl2:

Cowboy T
05-24-2010, 10:36 PM
I have to agree. I have the 10-10, and it's a fine scale. I decided I won't buy any more "Made in China" digital jobs. They suck. I'll stick with the traditional beam, even if it's slower, and especially if it's Made in USA.

1hole
05-25-2010, 08:22 AM
My Ohaus is labeled Lyman M-5, it's the forerunner of the 1010 and is basically identical.

I bought it in mid '65. It's still just as accurate and sensitive as it was the day I took it outta the mail order box; ain't NO digital gonna give that kind of service! And I don't feel it's slow at all. I put the pan on, the beam swings a couple of times and stops. That's what, a couple of seconds? Zilch in effect.

Echo
05-25-2010, 12:31 PM
I've used a 10-10 for over 40 years - and it is still doing yeoman work. I believe it is the Best scale for reloaders. However - I also have a couple of 5-10's, and seem to use one more than the 10-10. Actually have 3 5-10's - but 2 must go back to RCBS for repair. One hit the floor (NOT MY FAULT! Well, not much...) and the beam is warped, and the copper plate drags. The other I bought cheap on eBay, and the adjustment foot is corroded in place, and there are a coupe of other minor issues, so it will go back, too. I will also send them some of Big Ed's Famous Healthy Candy for their effort.