PDA

View Full Version : RotoMetals

Jerry11826
05-23-2010, 06:18 PM
About 6 months ago bought 1,000 lbs. of Lyman #2 from Rotometals. Have no idea of what Lyman #2 is, but have heard about it among casters for a long time. A bit "pricey" about $1,800.00 delivered.

This morning, I used it for the first time. Used about 15 lbs to produce about 500 - 600 bullets. 200 gr. 45 ACP SWC's . Sure did cast nice. Of course the real test is how they shoot, but the bullets, after the first 3 0r 4 four cold mold drops, were very nice looking.

Had forgotten how nice it is to use clean metal - When I started casting I used linotype from a local print shop. Had a bubby that worked there and each time the shop ordered he would get me some. Was running about 50 cents to 60 cents a pound. Thought that was high.

Anyway, "those were the days". The shop stopped using lineotype in the early to mid 90's. I started using range salvage and used wheel weights. What dirty stuff! Fluxed pot a lot and skimmed off a lot of "crud".

Anyway, based on the fun I had this morning, I can at this point, recommend RotoMetals.

Keep 'em in the X-Ring,

Jerry

lwknight
05-24-2010, 01:43 AM
Clean lead is nice for sure.
I hate that you had to pay that much for it
If you add up the tin and antimony in it
its not that bad for what you got.
900 pounds of lead at around $1.00 per pound
50 pounds of Tin @ $10.00+ per
50 pounds Antmony @ about $7.50 per.
Yup that about splains the cost.

Fixxah
05-24-2010, 09:09 AM
Lyman #2 made with free WW, priceless.

Jerry11826
05-24-2010, 10:35 AM
I agree with you Fixxah - err, that is if you can get free wheel weights! - surprised they are so available in the Peoples republic.

jimmeyjack
05-24-2010, 12:35 PM
1.80 per pound delivered is a great price for real #2. The ww still need lynotype or 50/50 solder to get close to #2. If I could afford it I would buy nothing but pure clean #2.

fredj338
05-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Rotometals is a great, but @ $1.80/#, that is $52/1K for your 45 bullets + say 3hrs of your time. I can buy them delivered to my door for $71/K ready to load. That isn't saving me enough to cast my own plinkers. JMO, for me, $1/# is my cut off for buying alloy.

Lyman #2 made with free WW, priceless.
Except you have to add some tin or lino to the ww to get #2. Free helps a lot!

303Guy
05-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Living in a 'fishing' country is a pain - WW get used for sinkers!:( I went to a scrap metal dealer and he had a drum of WW alright. I would have spent all day picking out the clip-on's so I gave up and got some lead pipe, hard lead sheet and soldered joints instead.:???:

Jerry11826
05-24-2010, 05:59 PM
fredj338, You are right! I thought about that before I made the purchase.

Wheel weights are getting harder to find where I live. We have a chain here called Tires Plus. I have bought 3-4 sets of four tires from them, over the years and they would give me a five gallon bucket of wheel weights "for free" every few months. Last time I went there they said no! They had an agreement / contract with a recycle service to purchase all they had. Am reasonably sure, If I really put some effort into it, I could have found another source of "free" WW.

One of the pistol clubs I belong to used to "redress" the berms about once a year. They would take a couple of front end loader loads, taken from the berms and dump them in an out of the way place on the range. You could "mine" it if you wished. The Board of Directors changed last year and the current members discontinued the practice for whatever reason.

Anyway, the purchase of the alloy was my safety net. Am 63 now and plan to retire at 65 and four months. Just wanted to insure I would have the supplies to continue three of my favorite hobbies, shooting, reloading and casting.

Stupid is always stupid, but some times there is a reason.

Based on the pleasant time I had Sunday morning, am not sure I am as stupid as I first thought. Now all I have to do is run them through the sizer then reload.

I don't think I would buy alloy again, but if I did, I would consider Rotometals. Good people to do business with!

Keep 'em in the X ring,

Jerry

PS. We have a local caster that will sell you good bullets for $60.00 / 1,000. I wonder where he gets his alloy?

fredj338
05-24-2010, 07:07 PM
fredj338, You are right! I thought about that before I made the purchase.

PS. We have a local caster that will sell you good bullets for $60.00 / 1,000. I wonder where he gets his alloy?
He probabley buys by the truck load & gets a good price break. Go back to that tire shop, talk to the manager & offer to buy the ww. The recycler is probably paying him 25c-30c/#, offer him 40c/# cash. I completely understand buying alloy or paying for ww when you can't scrounge it, I do it, there is a break point though. I can still mine the berm @ my club, but others do it too so they'll eventually put a stop to that one.
With the 1200-1400# of alloy (about 50K bullets) I have, it will probably last me till I stop shooting (I am 54). I still have 4K-5K mixed bullets already cast & unless I start shooting competition again, I am just not shooting that much a year now. It is nice to have though. At $60/1K, I would probably buy my bullets before using my $52/1K alloy. Just a thought.

MJR007
05-24-2010, 07:49 PM
Ryan at RotoMetals is great to deal with. I have sold him tin with no issues. Good luck and shoot well.