PDA

View Full Version : Forcing cone on Ruger SS 45?

Changeling
05-23-2010, 05:06 PM
When I look at where the end of the barrel is on the chamber end. Is the forcing cone just an extension/end of the barrel or does the barrel fit up to a short piece of what appears to be barrel that is a shoulder for the barrel aka the forcing cone? I hope I made sense, I just can't tell!

Cactus Farmer
05-23-2010, 05:22 PM
The forcing cone is cut into the rear most part of the barrel. A gentle slope,(some are more gentile than others). I cut mine in the frame with a cutter I made that is centered with the rod turning the cutter from the muzzle. Like a cleaning rod guide on a muzzle loader. The ammount to cut is the tricky part. Too little or too much is an eyeball measurement. Brownells sells cutters and guages. Pricey for hobby work. I just cut them at the range 'til they shoot well.

Changeling
05-26-2010, 03:17 PM
The forcing cone is cut into the rear most part of the barrel. A gentle slope,(some are more gentile than others). I cut mine in the frame with a cutter I made that is centered with the rod turning the cutter from the muzzle. Like a cleaning rod guide on a muzzle loader. The ammount to cut is the tricky part. Too little or too much is an eyeball measurement. Brownells sells cutters and guages. Pricey for hobby work. I just cut them at the range 'til they shoot well.

Thanks very much for the information. I just could not tell by looking at it whether the forcing cone was a separate part or not. It appeared to be but I wasn't sure till your reply.

cajun shooter
05-26-2010, 05:35 PM
A lot of guns leave the factory with a 5 degree slop for the forcing cone. Most guns that are set up for shooting lead bullets in competition use an 11 degree cone. This is not to say that you have to do this to your gun. If it shoots lead well and does not spit lead or cause leading in the cone area then it is ok as is.

MtGun44
05-27-2010, 09:53 PM
My S&W gunsmith buddy likes the 11 degree forcing cone. He says that the main issue is
if they are assymetric. He uses the in the gun 'cleaning rod type' of tool like Cactus Farmer
is talking about. If the original is not centered well you can see it by looking closely on each
side and looking for the same apparent depth to the cone.

Bill