PDA

View Full Version : Powder die for Dillon

Xcaliber
05-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Does anybody know if Dillon makes a powder die for the .22 Hornet that will bell the mouth and drop powder in one stroke. Have just started to load for this caliber and cast boolit seating isn't a day in the park for me anymore. Have champhered the case mouth and dipped in lube , but if you start wrong ..it will buckle the brass some. Other than buying another die and setting up another station on the tool head, is there any fix or method used ? Thanks.

alfloyd
05-23-2010, 05:04 PM
I have the same problem with 30-30 Win and cast boolits. I called Dillon and was told that they do not make a powder die that bells the neck and drop powder for rifle cases. I was going to modify a powder die for the 30 carbine to work for me. They don't make a 22 cal pistol die, so you will need to get one made for you.
Good luck with your quest.

alfloyd

Xcaliber
05-23-2010, 05:10 PM
I guess thats what i'm going to have to do. Don't want to buy an "M" die just for that and then try to find a place for it on the tool head. Gonna see if I can find someone to do a little modification that will work. Don't work in the tool and die factory anymore, or would have built
something by now.

dudel
05-23-2010, 07:24 PM
Does anybody know if Dillon makes a powder die for the .22 Hornet that will bell the mouth and drop powder in one stroke. Have just started to load for this caliber and cast boolit seating isn't a day in the park for me anymore. Have champhered the case mouth and dipped in lube , but if you start wrong ..it will buckle the brass some. Other than buying another die and setting up another station on the tool head, is there any fix or method used ? Thanks.

I must be missing something. The Dillon PISTOl powder dies flare, but the rifle ones don't. On the rifle, the "flare" comes from the expansion ball on the decapping rod. My Dillon rifle powder funnels go around the case neck, not in them.

willk
05-24-2010, 09:30 PM
You might want to check out the Lee Universal Expanding die http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=140461. I use mine to bell the cases of a 300 Whisper, using it in the third slot of the Dillon and moving the bullet seating die to the forth slot.

It works like this. The resizing and powder fill stations work as normal. Let the case run up into the belling die. Then, place a bullet in the belled case and move it to the forth station to be seated. (and crimped if desired) Its a little funny felling at first but with the case belled, it will hold the bullet until it gets to the forth station.