PDA

View Full Version : Making spherical balls

Naphtali
05-23-2010, 01:00 PM
I will need to make .69-caliber spherical balls, from pure lead to, perhaps, 1:20. Since casting balls without tangential sprue or Lyman-type teat sprue is, I believe, not doable, I suspect swaging is the method needed. Since I will not require these balls by the thousand, or even be the hundred, I seek to keep the cost of equipment as modest as I can. While I am prepared to roll balls between plate glass to regularize surface, rolling balls is not a substitute for creating regular ones from the get-go. Please identify the least expensive way to create these balls - that is, balls with as few inherent imperfections as is feasible.

Lee
05-23-2010, 01:13 PM
At the risk of telling you something you may already know, search thru these threads. I seem to remember a couple good ones addressing your questions. IIRC, someone put their balls in a plastic pan, then in the trunk, then let them roll around and knock into each other for a few miles/days.......????????
Lee

Naphtali
05-23-2010, 02:21 PM
Problem solved in short term. Hornady makes swaged RBs. Now, how to get control of the process, that Hornady isn't holding me hostage?

DLCTEX
05-23-2010, 02:46 PM
It's as simple as buying a Lee .69 round ball mould, cheap from Graf & Sons. The Lee moulds with their tangenital cut leave no sprue. For about $23.50 shipped you can make them of the alloy of your choice. I have no connection to them, just find their prices and shipping to be cheapest and they have given excellent service.

DukeInFlorida
05-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Miha is also experimenting with round ball molds. We should be seeing some offerings soon.