PDA

View Full Version : Holster for 625 model of 1988 5 inch

pipehand
05-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Have owned the title revolver since they were first available, and the only holster its ever been in has been an el cheapo Uncle Mike's. I believe it is deserving of a quality leather holster, but am having difficulty finding one for a 5" full underlugged N-frame. Any suggestions?

MtGun44
05-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Try one of the big name semi-custom makers like Milt Sparks, they may have a model that
will work and be able to fit the longer than typical barrel. Of course, the ultimate solution is
to find a real custom maker and have it made specifically for the gun. These are often local
guys that have started out as a hobbyist and turned it into a part time job with a bunch of
satisfied customers. Ask around your area and you may find that there is a source like this.
Make sure you look at some of his recent work before you commit, since you will be on the
hook for whatever he makes.

Bill

sixshot
05-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Check out Mike Barranti of Barranti Custom Leather, he's as good as they get. I have several & they are perfect.

Dick

EDK
05-23-2010, 12:33 PM
I have a 5 inch and a 3 inch 625...they both have a MILT SPARKS HSR (Hackathorn Special Revolver) holster to call their own....the guns and holsters were both purchased new in '88 or '89.

Since the new guy took over, MILT SPARKS has shifted to more concealed carry holsters and getting through to order is a PITA. BUT they make stuff to last forever.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

Cord
05-23-2010, 01:34 PM
Perhaps you could also identify similar revolvers -
like the .44 Magnum "Classic Hunter" which I believe
has a similar underlugged barrel but might be 6",
and have a wider search field.....

Bass Ackward
05-23-2010, 07:30 PM
I have a Galco PHX125, dual position that is excellent. I love it in cross draw. Works for my Blackhawks to 4 and 5" N - frames. And tension is fully adjustable to you for feel.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/galco-dual-position-phoenix-holster.html

Blazin
05-24-2010, 07:55 AM
Doesn't have the sex appeal of a fine leather holster, but is available for 5" underlugged N-frames, and is a great holster: http://www.sidearmor.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_21&products_id=14

Char-Gar
05-24-2010, 12:29 PM
No problem...El Paso Saddlery has made me several holsters for various SMith 4" N frames with the underlug barrels. They off a variety of styles and first class workmanship for a reasonable price.

Grapeshot
05-24-2010, 07:56 PM
No problem...El Paso Saddlery has made me several holsters for various SMith 4" N frames with the underlug barrels. They off a variety of styles and first class workmanship for a reasonable price.

I'll Second that vote for El Paso Sadelry. They made me a "Patton" holster for my 4 inch 625 .45 AR/Auto Revolver. One of the best for me.

BSkerj
05-27-2010, 07:35 AM
I had one made by Lobogunleather. Ray Cory is the owner and a great guy to deal with. Mine also is a 5 inch. He has several holster styles to choose from. I use the enhanced pancake OWB. It stays nice and snug. Ray is a retired LEO and has been there and done that. Lobogunleather.com

Wildcat
05-27-2010, 08:53 AM
I have a Simply Rugged Sourdough for mine. Makes for a great field or concealment rig.

grendelbane
05-27-2010, 09:27 PM
The Simply Rugged is what I am looking at for myself. I have to admit that my 5" 625 rides in an almost 20 year old Roy Baker Pancake. This was made for a 4" N-frame, and if you do the math, you will indeed see almost an inch of barrel sticking out.

I think its time it got its own holster. Maybe the Simply Rugged model with the flap.

pipehand
05-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the ideas. The hunt is on.

robertbank
05-27-2010, 09:33 PM
I know you mentioned leather but FYI Blade Tech makes an excellent holster for the 625. I use it in competition, works great and is a big leap above anything Uncle Mikes makes.

Take Care

Bob

pipehand
05-28-2010, 03:36 PM
Just ordered the BladeTech SRB. Hopefully it will arive in time for use in our local "Outlaw" USPSA style shoot in three weeks. Shot single stack 1911 last week, and one of the guys mentioned that he's really a revolver shooter. I told him I'd be glad to shoot mine next match, and if I could get another revolver shooter, then at least I wouldn't win by default in the class.
Now I've got to find a way to carry a lot of moon clips. Thanks Fellas.