PDA

View Full Version : Stoves

plaz
05-23-2010, 03:22 AM
I have a RCBS lead pot which is extremely small in diameter.

Can someone please tell me what kind of stove was meant to be used with this little pot? I could really use some help with this one.

WHITETAIL
05-23-2010, 08:54 AM
plaz, go to melting lead.:p

rtracy2001
05-23-2010, 10:30 AM
I have a RCBS lead pot which is extremely small in diameter.

Can someone please tell me what kind of stove was meant to be used with this little pot? I could really use some help with this one.

Coleman camp stove?

mooman76
05-23-2010, 03:27 PM
What is small in diameter? I have a 1 qt pot that holds about 20#. It is small but works fine on a regular stove or the coleman stove.

Mk42gunner
05-23-2010, 07:06 PM
This will sound crazy, but I believe it was designed for a wood fired cookstove.

The RCBS pot isn't that much different in size from the Lyman, and they used to sell an adapter ring to replace one of the round lids on a cookstove; so the lead pot could set lower in the firebox; thus receiving more heat.

That's my theory.

The pot will work on a Coleman stove, but will take forever to render wheel weights into ingots; due to the small size.

Robert

plaz
05-23-2010, 07:33 PM
I tried to melt the lead in the small RCBS pot on a 1600 watt electric stove and after about 30 minutes I got tired of waiting and quit. The pot doesn't cover all the rings on the stove. Wouldn't a different pot work better.

Is it all right to use a larger aluminum or stainless pot to melt the lead? It should be faster.

hoosierlogger
05-23-2010, 07:42 PM
dont use aluminum for fear the heat will soften the aluminum and the weight of the lead could possibly blow out the bottom. Id go cast iron. Its cheap and transfers heat really well. My smelting pot is a 10" diameter pipe cut 5" long with a 1/4" plate welded to one end.

Rock
05-23-2010, 07:50 PM
My cast iron 8" pot worked great till it split. Cast iron could not take the heat from the propane burner. But it did work for about 1,000 lbs of wheel weights before the pot split across the bottom.

hoosierlogger
05-23-2010, 07:53 PM
My cast iron 8" pot worked great till it split. Cast iron could not take the heat from the propane burner. But it did work for about 1,000 lbs of wheel weights before the pot split across the bottom.

Was it a Harbor freight pot by chance? I have heard of the HF pots doing that.

Rock
05-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Was it a Harbor freight pot by chance? I have heard of the HF pots doing that.

Sadly it was a good old American Made antique, not a modern made in china junker.

hoosierlogger
05-23-2010, 08:02 PM
Sadly it was a good old American Made antique, not a modern made in china junker.

Sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you.

Old Goat Keeper
05-23-2010, 10:59 PM
Either your cast iron pot had a hidden crack or you heated it way to fast for it to crack like that.

Tom

mdi
05-24-2010, 10:44 AM
I've bee using a Coleman single burner propane stove for smelting, the kind that uses a small propane bottle for the stand. I've had about 25 lbs. in a home made pot with no problems (tilting, bending the burner, etc.) and seems stable when used on a solid low table, oustide of course.

MT Gianni
05-27-2010, 09:33 AM
Either your cast iron pot had a hidden crack or you heated it way to fast for it to crack like that.

Tom

Another tip for cast iron is to never heat it empty. Always keep enough materiel in it to transfer the heat whether food or ww.