PDA

View Full Version : Melting lead

plaz
05-23-2010, 03:12 AM
I have a RCBS lead pot which is very small. I also have the largest LEE furnace.

In order not to contaminate my furnace with dirty wheel weight lead when making ingots would it work if I put my small RCBS pot inside the LEE electric furnace in an effort to melt lead for making lead ingots? I am assuming the small RCBS pot will fit inside the furnace.

I don't have access to the furnace right now.

les265
05-23-2010, 07:38 AM
I don't think that would work. I believe that the lead pots are usually heated on a heat source like a coleman stove, stovetop, campfire, etc. If smelting wheelweights, use a heat source that can be used outdoors.

WHITETAIL
05-23-2010, 08:53 AM
plaz, Welcome to the forum!
Yes, I agree you should go outside and clean-smelt your lead.
You can use a one burner elec. burner from Wally-World.
Or a camp stove.
Or what alot of us use is a propane Turkey fryer.
Minis the turkey.[smilie=l:

RKJ
05-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Plaz, I use a medium size SS pot that I got at either Goodwill or the Salvation Army for a few dollars on top of a 1000W hot plate that I got at Walgreens for $10.00 I put it on plywood mounted on saw horses outside (WW's give off a nasty smell when melted or so my wife and family tell me) :) It works great and was inexpensive. I have a tank that I cut down but it doesn't sit well enough on the burner for me so it sits unused for now. One other thing about the hot plate, I saw someone here mentioned they got the same plate and it only went to 750* and didn't get hot enough to melt the lead, I've not had any problems and it works great for me.