PDA

View Full Version : Lee real boolit mold?

garbear
05-22-2010, 10:43 PM
REAl Bullet Mould -.50 Caliber, 250 Grain mold coming. I am planning to use it in a 50 cal muzzle loader with a 1-28 twist and wondering if the same bullet would work in my side lock that has a 1-48 twist rate. I am also getting ready to buy the lymans great plains rifle with a 1-32 twist rate. just wondering what to expect from this boolit

docone31
05-22-2010, 10:49 PM
I do not believe you will like the results of the Great Plains Rifle. Everyone I have heard has said it is not that well. With 1/48 twist, it should shine. Follow the charge instructions. Works great. It will take a substantial charge, but it is not that accurate with it. I have also used valve lapping compound as lube to really make my bores shine.
I do not know about the 1/28. You are just going to have to see.
I like my R.E.A.L.s, both in .50, and .54. I have one in .45 also, and it shines in that rifle.
I carry a rawhide mallet to drive the casting into the bore. It does not deform the tip like a ball starter does.
I use pure lead.

mooman76
05-22-2010, 11:41 PM
They shoot great in my 1/48 twist. The 1/28 may or may not, I here mixed results but you probably will not be able to push that hard, that may be the difference.

garbear
05-23-2010, 01:49 AM
The 1-28 twist is in a an inline. My loads have been colorado conical with 90 grains powder. This year has been a tight year so decided to start casting Hoping the real boolit will work for this inline also.

lawhetzel
05-23-2010, 05:36 PM
"Times are tight..."
That is why I started casting bullets. I started with the REAL .50 caliber 250 grain myself.
My first ML was (I still have it) an Investarm .50 with 1 in 48. I had tried the longer heavier "Great Plains" type of bullets and they did not group worth a hoot in my rifle. I had tried some TC MaxiHunter bullets of about the same weight and length. They had grouped well and I had killed deer with them. But the price (20 years ago) was $12+ per 20. I saw the REAL and thought that for the price of 2 boxes of ready-made bullets I could buy a Lee mold and enough plumber's lead to make a half a dozen boxes. They group well in my rifle and kill deer. Penetration has always been complete with a profuse blood trail if the deer does not drop on the spot.
I do not have a ball shooter in .50 caliber. However, I think that the short bullet should stabilize well in the slow twist barrel when pushed by heavy loads of BP or Pyrodex, etc.

docone31
05-23-2010, 07:20 PM
What really makes a difference in the R.E.A.L., is to drill an 1/8" hole, 3/8" into the casting.
I use soft lead, and when I do this, it EXPANDS! Not a great deal, but better than the plain casting.
I would suspect, with some experimenting, it could be devastating.

stubshaft
05-24-2010, 03:31 AM
I had to reduce the charge in my GM 1 in 28 with the REAL boolit. It shoots the Lyman GP boolit fine and the T/C Maxi ball. The 1 in 48 shoots the REAL boolit well with heavy loads (100gr+)

garbear
05-24-2010, 08:18 PM
[QUOTE=stubshaft;903920]I had to reduce the charge in my GM 1 in 28 with the REAL boolit. GM? I am slow.

stubshaft
05-24-2010, 09:48 PM
[QUOTE=stubshaft;903920]I had to reduce the charge in my GM 1 in 28 with the REAL boolit. GM? I am slow.

GREEN MOUNTAIN = 1 in 28" barrel. When pushed too hard accuracy fell off it appeared that the boolit was being stripped by the rifling or over stablized.