PDA

View Full Version : Need help with linotype

SciFiJim
05-22-2010, 10:43 PM
I don't have any experience with melting linotype. I was given some metal muffin ingots and was told they were linotype. When melting them, they didn't go through the slushy stage like WW metal does. They went rather quickly from solid to liquid. When near liquid they could be broken apart and the pieces looked grainy but not the slushy look like WWs have. To test the melting point, I placed a similar sized WW muffin ingot in the pot with the ingots I was given. The WW ingot was still solid when the other ingots were already liquid.

Also, ingots cast with this metal quickly frosted heavily when cooling.

Does this sound like linotype?

fryboy
05-22-2010, 10:56 PM
lino does melt at a much lower temp ,my last lino was a pain to flux tho ( old half newspaper reel from mid 70's ) when i cast the ingots they were as u said frosty and more brittle than lead, starting with half a pot one day i topped it off ,among other things added was 1 bar of pure lead, it was the last to melt ,if it's harder than ur regular alloy i'd say yes if not then i'd say it has a bunch of tin

sagacious
05-23-2010, 01:26 AM
Does this sound like linotype?
Yes, exactly. Enjoy.

Jerry11826
05-23-2010, 07:37 PM
If you have lineotype, treasue it! I used to be able to get some. No more. Makes great target bullets! Very hard metal. I have read it is "brittle" and does not make good hunting bullets, but for low power target shooting, I don't know if it can be beat! Casts great - and I used more than 1,000 lbs. of it.

Jerry