PDA

View Full Version : OK it's official,some people are idiots

PAT303
05-22-2010, 10:01 PM
I,like alot of people watch Ebay for any molds and casting equipement that comes up but lately I'm amazed at the prices people are paying for molds.When it comes to molds I will pay more to get a special mold or one that I really want but people are paying the same price or in some cases more than new price for standard run of the mill molds.Do people get caught up in bidding wars or do they have no idea what the molds are worth,or as the title says are they just fools with money?. Pat

fryboy
05-22-2010, 10:03 PM
ummm all the above ..... actually if u want it and cant find it and here's one now going for auction u may bid a bit higher than u'd like to pay for it but if ur a collector or it's a collectible mold it could be worth a premium

HangFireW8
05-22-2010, 10:09 PM
I,like alot of people watch Ebay for any molds and casting equipement that comes up but lately I'm amazed at the prices people are paying for molds.

See thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=83732

We are still spinning down from the panic buying spree of 2009.

-HF

HeavyMetal
05-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Add the fact that the internet really let's E bay'ers become global sellers.

We take for granted much of what other people in the world will never see when it comes to the shooting industry. The market supply isn't there for them because of regulations or lack of funds or both.

Enter the internet and as long as you have access to a phone line you can buy from the ends of the earth and get what you want, as long as you have enough money!

So while you and I may wonder what moron would pay two or three times the new price for a DC Lyman 429421 mold the guy who "won" the bid may be buried so deep in the Amazon jungle that mail only runs once a month!

For this guy he may have gotten the deal of a life time because he has no place to get this mold and, much more importantly, he has no way to "judge" what a fair price is because they do not exist in his enviroment!

I long ago stopped wondering about such e bay foolishness after I realized where the market really reached! Today if I see a mold or other "object de casting" I figure out what it is worth to me make a bid and or watch till the end and if it goes beyond what I am ready to pay I'm ahead of the game because I did not spend any money and I know another oppertunity is just around the Ebay corner!

Watching is fun but I do wish they would at least post the buyers zip code so you could have an idea of what place is so desperate for casting gear!

PAT303
05-23-2010, 12:17 AM
I do see were your coming from but at the moment there is a second hand single cavity cruise missile on there for $20,you can buy a brand spanker double cavity from midsouth for $18.I don't get it. Pat

dominicfortune00
05-23-2010, 12:43 AM
I buy mostly old out of production moulds on there.

On current production moulds I bid what it would cost to buy a new one, and don't go above that amount.

Such as somebody won a current production Lyman 311299 2 cavity mould for 90.99$; my max bid was 62.00$.

I guess some people don't check to see if a mould is still being made or not.

fredj338
05-23-2010, 12:48 AM
It's not just molds but everything else. You really have to be patient & lucky. I see Dillon loaders going for more than new ones ordered form BrianE once you figure in the ridiculous shipping some of the e-bay guys are getting. As always, buyer beware.

Fly
05-23-2010, 05:42 AM
HeavyMetal makes a great point.
Fly

missionary5155
05-23-2010, 05:56 AM
Good morning
Yep.. Heavymetal is talking reality in 3rd world places..
I have NEVER seen a mold for sale. The three opporating gun shops have NO primers, No smokeless powder and only the odd shotgun reloading tool and maybe a few shotgun primers. Blackpowder is sold by the 1/4 pound.

calaloo
05-23-2010, 06:50 AM
The guy in the Amazon jungle has a computer if he is able to buy on eBay. That means that he can access all the outlets line Midway, Mid South, etc. I watched a set of rare dies (.32 Long Colt) sell on eBay for about double what CH4D sells them for. I've wondered about the weird stuff that happens there and juct concluded that some peopls are nuts. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

PAT303
05-23-2010, 07:32 AM
Thats right,if you can get ebay you can get midsouth. Pat

Lead Fred
05-23-2010, 09:32 AM
I dont buy from E-Bay any more, or some gun shows.

Folks tend to think their used stuff is worth the cost of new, or more.

hansumtoad
05-23-2010, 11:22 AM
The economists call is "marginal propensity to consume". The value will be established between the last buyer and the seller.

If that last buyer wants (notice I didn't say NEED) a mold, can afford it, and has been looking for a long time, the mold will possibly sell for a premium. If there are two or more that have similar wants...look out. The rest of we just stand around slack jawed while the price goes ballistic, one guy is happy, and one is dejected.

It doesnt matter what you and I think about "worth of an item". Its only worth is what the last buyer is willing to pay and the seller of the item is willing to take.

hansumtoad
05-23-2010, 11:23 AM
The economists call is "marginal propensity to consume". The value will be established between the last buyer and the seller.

If that last buyer wants (notice I didn't say NEED) a mold, can afford it, and has been looking for a long time, the mold will possibly sell for a premium. If there are two or more that have similar wants...look out. The rest of we just stand around slack jawed while the price goes ballistic, one guy is happy at the end, and one is dejected.

It doesnt matter what you and I think about "worth of an item". Its only worth is what the last buyer is willing to pay and the seller of the item is willing to take.

HeavyMetal
05-23-2010, 11:58 AM
An added thought to my Post concerning buying at places like Midway and Mid South.

Again this is you and I buying in the States and our hero buying in a third world nation. Yes if he has the "net" he has "access" to places like mid south. The problem lies in "Economic Sanctions" against the government he is stuck with!

Buying from a reputable firm may not be possible because of this. I know no one is supposed to sell to these nations as well but we have all found ways around problems and this would be no different.

Now I am wise enough to know that not all the buyers on E bay are challanged by the location they live in.

For that reason E Bay has a log out function, no one has to "play" if he doesn't want to!

E bay is an entertainment option for me these days. I don't like the Pay Pal scam and will not partcipate unless I find something very hard to come by.

If more of us did this would things return to "normal"? Maybe, and that is food for thought!

hansumtoad
05-23-2010, 12:25 PM

If that last buyer wants (notice I didn't say NEED) a mold, can afford it, and has been looking for a long time, the mold will possibly sell for a premium. If there are two or more that have similar wants...look out. The rest of we just stand around slack jawed while the price goes ballistic, one guy is happy at the end, and one is dejected.

hansumtoad
05-23-2010, 12:30 PM
I have no idea why this post was displayed three times. My aplogies to the forum.

badgeredd
05-23-2010, 09:01 PM
The guy in the Amazon jungle has a computer if he is able to buy on eBay. That means that he can access all the outlets line Midway, Mid South, etc. I watched a set of rare dies (.32 Long Colt) sell on eBay for about double what CH4D sells them for. I've wondered about the weird stuff that happens there and juct concluded that some peopls are nuts. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

There are some export restrictions on many US companies and they will not sell overseas or limit sales to a few other countries.

Edd

prickett
05-23-2010, 10:07 PM
I often considered starting a business where I'd buy from Midway and sell on Ebay. I truly believe that a large percent of people there prefer to win the auction rather than get a good price.

deerslayer
05-23-2010, 10:18 PM
I have read the rules and do not badger any sellers. But I see the same thing on here particulary on Lee molds. I can buy any current production Lee two cavity for $18 and six cavities for $38 + handles. So when i see used and new ones sold on here for more it perplexes me.

MtGun44
05-23-2010, 11:49 PM
I think HeavyMetal has a point for many buyers, but another situation is some folks do
not have any idea what something is worth and get carried away.

Bill

ghh3rd
05-23-2010, 11:53 PM
I think that some buy low.... and sell high, on Ebay.

warf73
05-24-2010, 05:36 AM
I think HeavyMetal has a point for many buyers, but another situation is some folks do
not have any idea what something is worth and get carried away.

Bill

I seen this last fall at an auction, to ladys go into a bidding war over a opened box of bluerock/clay pigeons. What was so special that these to ladys were bidding well over what a new box sells for at Wal Mart?
My wife thought I was wrong lol so after the auction we went to wal mart and I showed her the exact same box for like $7.00 and the winning bidder at the auction gave just over $10.00 if I remember correctly.
But like Ebay and local auctions you must know how much you are willing to spend and dont go past that point no matter how bad you would like to.

koehn,jim
05-24-2010, 02:13 PM
All of you make very good points but I have purchased some lyman molds on ebay at higher than new prices because the older molds seem to be better made and more consistant in quality. Too many of the new molds dont seem to cast correctly for me . Just my reason.

dominicfortune00
05-24-2010, 11:43 PM
Ebay is screwy some times.

A guy had two Lyman four cavity 30 cal adj. core molds for sale with reserves of 95$ for one with slight rust; and 150$ for one with no rust, as new.

They didn't sell, nobody bid on them; so he relisted them for bid with out reserves.

I bid on the one with rust, put 95$ on it; and it went for about 130$

I then bid on the one as new, put 95$ on it; and got it for that; nobody else bid on it.

Screwy, I'll tell you!

XWrench3
05-25-2010, 03:20 AM
yep, unfortunatly for a lot of us, many people, especially on ebay are "KOO-KOO"! actually, i think a lot of it is people with "cubic dollars". what is outragous to most of us, makes no difference to them. it is a conveinience to them. they do not have to go anywhere, or bother looking through either on-line or paper catalogs. they simply put what they want in a saved search, ebay notifies them it has been listed, and they bid a crazy dollar figure to make sure they get it. for a doctor, lawyer, or engineer that makes $$$,$$$ a year, what's an extra 30%. they know they can make that back up with an extra hour of work. unfortunatly, we all do not make 6 figures a year.

sniper
05-30-2010, 04:07 PM
.Do people get caught up in bidding wars or do they have no idea what the molds are worth,or as the title says are they just fools with money?. Pat

The answer is: YES, they do,and, they are! I was watching a set of instructions for making a ghillie suit, and two young heroes got into a (fill in the blank) contest.

The "Winnah!" paid like $17+shipping of $1.25 for his set. I got the very same set for $2.50+ the shippping... 2 badly-copied sheets. One look at the instructions, and I said: "There's GOT to be an easier way!" ;)