PDA

View Full Version : problem with primers on lyman 410610 gc

whitetailsniper
05-22-2010, 09:56 PM
has anyone else had a problen with the gas cks on this mold?? hornady does not seem to fit right. i use the hornady gas cks for my other 41 rem mag molds with no issues,except this 1 mold. any thoughts,cures,fixes?

Reloader06
05-23-2010, 04:14 AM
What problems are you having?

missionary5155
05-23-2010, 06:03 AM
Good morning
IF you remove a few thousands from the gas check ring area of the mold it will cast that area that much larger in diameter.
Dobber some FINE valve lap compound on the gas check area of a hard cast boollet. Place the gas check area into the mold backwards. A drill press makes fast works spinning the boollit or a drill or by hand. You only need to remove a bit so go slow.

madsenshooter
05-23-2010, 07:11 AM
I think he means they're too small for his shank. Measure the shank and see what you have WH. Gator Checks are generally a tad larger. If you need a larger one, log in to the Group Buy area below, hover over place order and you'll see a gas check preorder, put down what you want. That's how Blammer knows what's in demand and what to order next run. Here's a table of nominal shank diameters: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=11997 It could be someone gave it the treatment missionary suggested, or if you bought the mold new, that it was just cut too large. If it's an old one, it may have been cut for Lyman checks that didn't have the crimp on feature that Hornady checks do.

threett1
05-23-2010, 12:08 PM
I have to "open" the checks up a bit. Have a tapered plug, for lack of a better term I tap into the check to open it up so it will fit on the base. After that, all is fine.

runfiverun
05-23-2010, 05:27 PM
i have to tap open the gator checks too.
a switch screwdriver thing works for mine.

TDC
05-24-2010, 01:26 AM
This is a very common problem with the Lyman 410610 mold. I have one and the only GCs that fit properly are the thin Lyman's.(They are no longer being produced by Lyman, however)

If even the slightest material keeps the mold from closing completely even the Lyman checks won't fit properly and must be flared open a bit. It's critical the mold be clean and functioning properly.

Gator makes .41 GCs in three different sizes. If I were purchasing new checks for use with that mold I would send an example of my cast boolits, in the alloy I use, to Blammer or Gator to let them help fit the proper check to my individual casting.

There have been a lot of frustrated people on this board dealing with this same issue. Even newly produced molds by other MFGs are having fit problems, further confusing the .41 GC issue...

shotman
05-24-2010, 01:39 AM
the 410610 is a flat nose press the check on I do it by sitting it on the reloading press plate and mashing it against the bottom of the top of press. works good and check dont fall off.