PDA

View Full Version : Gas checks for jackets idea.

Ammosmith
05-22-2010, 04:00 PM
It would seem to me very doable to create a die that would take a 45 caliber gas check and make it a .224" copper jacket. Similar to the jacket making die Dave Corbin makes.

ANeat
05-22-2010, 06:42 PM
I think if youre starting with checks you might as well stamp out circles from sheet.

Would a 45 check be large enough?

Ammosmith
05-22-2010, 08:13 PM
I don't know. I wish I had a machine shop. I'd never stop coming up with new stuff.

deltaenterprizes
05-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Just having the tools does not make a machinist! After going to school and getting a diploma 10 years ago and working in a couple shops I am still learning new things. Each machine and material is different. My 14x40 Victor lathe is a much different machine than my 12x36 Pratt & Whitney, and both are tool room lathes. The Grizzly mill is not that much different than the Jet or Rockford, but the Cincinnati we had in the shop was a workhorse!

ANeat
05-23-2010, 07:03 AM
The more I mess with rimfire jackets, cases for jackest and such, the more I like just grabbing a berger or sierra jacket and making a bullet

Jim_Fleming
05-23-2010, 09:08 AM
I've been studying Corbin's Web Site, some...

From what I gather from Mr. Corbin's site is that the Jacket Drawing procedure he's got established, is that the *initial* size that is yielded is .45 Caliber Jackets that are then drawn down gradually to the desired diameter, .375, .357, .308, .257, .224 and so forth.

The problem with this procedure is the tremendous amount of waste copper, not the strips with the neat circles stamped out, I'm talking about the length of tubing that is going to result from drawing a .452x.562 (for example) Jacket out to a .224 Jacket, that Jacket very likely is going to be in the area of 1.500" inches long or longer yet, I'm not engineer enough to calculate that out.

What one would have to do to re-use the trimmed away copper tubing excess is come up with a way to close off one end, (as much as possible) then accurately and precisely cut the excess again. To make the desired weight etc. Going back to the closed off end, now there's another issue, that's never going to match the first copper cups simply because of the hole itself.

I think if youre starting with checks you might as well stamp out circles from sheet.

Would a 45 check be large enough?

Jim_Fleming
05-23-2010, 09:25 AM
I'm *no* engineer, but I don't think that a 45 Caliber gas check has enough copper in it to make a 22 Caliber jacket. The drawing procedure is not going to add any copper to the jacket, however it's possible that if there were an excess it, (the excess) could be removed by a pinch trim process.

There is a way to find out, however...

It's simple, I have some 22 caliber copper jackets, they weigh about 10 grains or so... I'm going up to my barn today to do some point forming, I'll weigh and measure some different size jackets and post the results here.

Ammosmith, do you have any 45 Caliber gas checks? If so, may I suggest you weigh one or two or even five, and see how much copper is there? I don't have gas checks in that size or I'd post that info here too.

*IF* there is enough metal available, then the question remains, would it be "practical" to try and transform those gas checks into 22 caliber?

What I mean is that if when starting, the gas check is off center in the stamping die only .0001 thousandths of an inch, how much would that magnify to in the end result? What if the bottom of the gas check varies by that same .0001 what is that going to do the walls of the 22 caliber cup?

Variations in the alloy would cause that same sort of unpredictable stretching. Heat treatments too would do the same thing.

Yes, in the same mfg. lot very likely the gas check variation would be tolerable, but the next batch is not going to be guaranteed to be the same.

It would seem to me very doable to create a die that would take a 45 caliber gas check and make it a .224" copper jacket. Similar to the jacket making die Dave Corbin makes.

ANeat
05-23-2010, 04:14 PM
I think if the objective was 22 caliber jackets a person could start out at a size closer to the material needed and get less waste.

Im curious what a check would do if you ran it thru say a de-rimming die. Not sure what the thickness is on those

Jim_Fleming
05-23-2010, 10:54 PM
I did some measuring and weighing of the jackets, but now my dang BlackBerry is acting up. Of course the lost data is locked up in my stubborn BlackBerry.

What I recall is that there was a range of weights in the Jackets. They vary from 12 grains to about 14.5 grains, depending on length. My Jackets ran from .650, .690, and .705 in OAL.

I was mildly surprised to see that even if two jackets were exactly the same length there were a few tiny variations in the weight.