PDA

View Full Version : Some real basic questions

WCF3030
08-01-2006, 09:45 PM
I'm very new to casting.

I have a Lee 150gr gas check mold http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=720790
I've cast 10 so far from WW all are the same dia of .309.

My questions are ( remember real basic) besides lube and gas check do I have to do anything else before shooting?

How fast can this be pushed before leading?

What are the best or quickest ways to lube?
Steveb has sent me the home made lube which I will be doing in the near future.

Is a resizing die really neccesary?

I'm sure I'll have more questions to your answears.

Jack Stanley
08-01-2006, 10:00 PM
An "M" die will make getting them into the casing undamaged worlds easier . having a damaged bullet is not going to do your accuracy any good .

Fast ? As fast as your knowledge of cast skulldugery will allow . A miss with a fast load is not as good as a solid hit with an accurate load that's a little slower . Eighteen to nineteen hundred should not be a trick with that one

There are times I use a tumble lube , sometimes even when I use gas checks . A LEE push through sizer makes seating the checks very easy and I like it for some applications . Much of my gas check seating is done with the more common RCBS luber . For almost all pistol bullets I still use an old Star lubesizer .

Do you need a sizer ? That's entirely up to you . When I was shooting a lot of pistol and rifle loads with cast . Using the lubesizers saved me a lot of time an gave good results . I don't have spectacular results with tumble lubes in all applications

Duzat hep yew eny ?:)

Jack

Bucks Owin
08-05-2006, 11:42 AM
I too have shot a lot of "as cast, tumble lubed with Lee Liquid Alox" projectiles with varying degrees of success....

Once I started sizing and quality lubing with a used Lyman 450, my groups have shrunk, my barrels now stay pretty much "unleaded", and I'm just a much happier camper all around....

But ya gotta start somewhere!

FWIW,

Dennis

BTW, welcome to the forum and the "silver stream"....:D

Billwnr
08-05-2006, 11:52 AM
How fast can you go?
Depends on the diameter of your bullet in relation to the barrel diameter. Bullet needs to be larger than bore diameter to seal off gasses.
Depends on the hardness of your alloy... Lino (BHN22) is lots harder than wheelweights (BHN9).
Depends on what powder you use. Slower burning powder has a lower pressure peak.
And to some degree...depends on how clean or smooth your barrel is.

Bucks Owin
08-05-2006, 12:50 PM
"How fast can you go?
Depends on the diameter of your bullet in relation to the barrel diameter. Bullet needs to be larger than bore diameter to seal off gasses".

Obturation of the boolit seals too, and boolit diameter has no hard and fast "rules" as to accuracy....

"Depends on the hardness of your alloy... Lino (BHN22) is lots harder than wheelweights (BHN9)".

True, but again, no "rules" apply here. A straight lino bullet can lead a bore too...

"Depends on what powder you use. Slower burning powder has a lower pressure peak".

Not necessarily "lower", more like "slower building"...

"And to some degree...depends on how clean or smooth your barrel is".

And what kinda lube is used...

IMO,

Dennis

Who believes that every gun has it's own "personality". Identical loads in "identical guns" don't always give identical results, either in pressure, velocity, or accuracy....

steveb
08-05-2006, 02:03 PM
Have you slugged your bore yet to see if those cast bullets will be a proper fit?
As far as lubes, if your planning on making felix lube and if you dont have a lubrisizer you can always pan lube them.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/steveb3006/Lee429-200-RFbulletlubecologe.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/steveb3006/100_3192.jpg
I panlubed these using felix lube before I got a lubrisizer
Heres a link with instructions and good picts of the process on how to pan lube.

http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/panlubing.html

Billwnr
08-05-2006, 02:16 PM
straight linos will lead if the bullet is undersized for the bore. The rifling doesn't grip an undersized bullet properly.

WCF3030
08-05-2006, 03:21 PM
Great now I have information overload.:-D :-D

versifier
08-07-2006, 10:51 AM
At .309, they don't necessarily need to be sized, but you do need a way to seat the gas checks, and they do need to be lubed. I would suggest you get a Lee push-through sizer in .309. It comes with a bottle of Liquid Alox. Running them through the sizer will seat the gas checks.