PDA

View Full Version : 7.62 x 39 AR ??

Johnch
05-21-2010, 06:56 PM
A freind just bought a complete 7.62x39 Model 1 Kit from a coworker and a lower at the gun shop

We put it togeather this afternoon

His question ....Who's mags are the best ?

The only ones I know of are C Products
I use them in my 300 Whisper and 223 with no problems

But don't own a 7.62x39 AR

So I figure I would tap into the group for a idea

Any pointers or sugestions

John

johnly
05-21-2010, 07:09 PM
The C Products work fine in my 7.62x39 AR

John

Shiloh
05-21-2010, 08:31 PM
+1 to the C-products Mags. Quality at an affordable price.

SHiloh

Artful
05-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Only two I know of that were reliable are C-products and the frankenmags made before the ban (ar welded to ak). That's one of the reasons I went with 300 whisper on my AR build - the other was the problem with bolt lug shearing off.

Johnch
05-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the info

I did a search last night and only found C Products for sale

I passed along the info and I believe he was going to place a order for some

As he wants to play ..... no target shoot

Thanks

John

Lloyd Smale
05-22-2010, 09:27 PM
the c products mags are the only ones over 10 rounds that work at all. As a matter of fact the factory bushmaster mags that came with my gun were made by c products. I bought 10 of them and did have problems. I found out that during production there was a change in the spring and i got old stock and they didnt work for ****. I sent the gun back to bushmaster along with all of my magazines complaining about it not feeding. they polished and reshaped my feed ramp and replaced all the mags with bushmaster (new c products) mags and for the most part they worked. they werent really a 100 percent though. I found a guy on another fourm thats been into these for years and he gave me the best advice. Run the c products mags but run them with a wolf extra power mag spring for an ak47. My gun runs flawlusly set up like that. I should add that the only ammo that wouldnt run a 100 percent before i replaced the springs was steal cased wolf. Now that will run too.

StarMetal
05-22-2010, 09:45 PM
Apparently you fellows aren't aware of the MGI modular magazine wells that accept AK 47 magazines nor the new enhanced 9310 steel bolts that eliminate all the breaking lug woes.

C-Products re-engineered the whole 7.62x39 magazine besides changing the spring.

Lloyd Smale
05-23-2010, 08:26 AM
Ive seen them starmetal but i cant see throwing 250 bucks at it when my set up doesnt miss a beat. Also on the bolts. My gun is a bushmaster and i called them and asked them if it would pay me to upgrade the bolt to insure relibility and they said they addressed it before they put there gun into prodution. I dont know if there blowing smoke or not but mine has seen 2000 rounds of wolf so far and probably 2000 reloads and its held up so far. Only thing ive really done to it is to put a wolf ex power extractor spring and donut in it but i do that to all of my ars.

StarMetal
05-23-2010, 11:39 AM
Lloyd,

You have a point, but missed a point. With that modular lower you can have a host of uppers in many different calibers. Marty was working on doing one up in 6.5 Carcano.

Eventually all the bolt manufacturers were switch over to the enhanced steel. This originated with the AR 15 tinkers, again, such as Marty. Alexander Arms started using it too, but they got the idea off of someone else. Lothar Walther now supplies it's AR 15 barrels with them.

When I built my 7.62x39 upper I tried it the 6.5 Grendel magazines I have. They worked great so I didn't see a reason to buy any.

By the way that modular lower will work with Remingtons hybrid between and AR10/AR15 upper which means you can shoot that many more cartridges like the whole 308 family. The military is using some of Marty's stuff.

Lloyd Smale
05-24-2010, 07:03 AM
Im a bit confused. Are you saying the 308 will then fit in a ar15. I dont see mention of that on the website and have to wonder if it is possible how long the bolt group will hold up to that. My ar10 bolt weights twice what my ar15 bolt does. . Im also confused about the remington upper your refering to. As far as i know bushmaster is making remington ars and the only odd ball thing they have is the lower for the .30ar.

StarMetal
05-24-2010, 12:28 PM
Lloyd,

Technically yes. The new 30 Rem is on an AR 15 platform. Let me explain how. The lower it totally AR 15. Now being a large rim cartridge they had to give it an AR 10 upper receiver thread extension. Also they had to use the AR 10 bolt. But wait, this is where the hybrid comes in. The carrier is still an AR 15 size and the bore for it through the upper receiver is still AR 15 size. Due to having an AR 10 size extension thread on the upper receiver to fit an AR 10 size barrel extension, the receiver had to be beefier. It's in between AR 15 and AR 10 size. Technically the rifle is an AR 15.

With that said Marty has fooled with larger bolt faces on the AR 15 to take 308 size cartridges.

You don't see this stuff on his website only in forums he visits and from knowing him.

If I've confused you please tell me and I will try to clarify it.

Artful
05-25-2010, 12:38 AM
Apparently you fellows aren't aware of the MGI modular magazine wells that accept AK 47 magazines nor the new enhanced 9310 steel bolts that eliminate all the breaking lug woes.

C-Products re-engineered the whole 7.62x39 magazine besides changing the spring.

Oh, I'm aware that there are options now (AR-47, MGI, etc) but at the time I did it there were not in my price range - I have lusted after the MGI set up but the price is such I can buy like 3-4 guns of interest for the price of one MGI with just one spare mag well. [smilie=s: not advantage to me. I already have AK and SKS. My choice was for shooting suppressed.

bruce drake
10-29-2014, 09:06 PM
Updating this post to reflect that ASC has developed excellent Stainless Steel Magazines for the AR15's chambered in 7.62x39. They feed with no double stacking or smokestacking the cartridges and you can load 25 cartridges in the standard length magazines. They modified the followers and the magazine feed lips to better account for the wider cartridge diameter and allows the cartridges to feed properly.

ASC split from the old C-Products company and have rejuvenated the production of magazines for ARs chambered in calibers other than 223.